problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

I'm just at the BIOS, the NB cooler is hot. and the PC-HEALTH have the "current system temp" at 52C even thou the case is open. (CPU temp is 37C)
    I don't think it was THAT hot before all the changes in the bios :/

Comment

If you are overclocking you want to set those as I have them listed above, if not dont worry about them

Yes easytune will show you NB temp, it will be called system or motherboard, Everest Ultimate will also show you

To simply change ONLY the memory timings to AUTO all you need to do is set this to AUTO >>>>
      DRAM Timing Selectable ................: Manual

The changes in your MCH will add some heat, but are needed so you need a fan or to do soem of what I suggested above

Comment

I'm not overclocking at this point.
        all I wanted was for the memory to work at its reported timings... guess that's not that simple :)

I'll try to set the DRAM timing to auto and see if it reduces heat

Comment

changed everything to auto (including voltage)
          no change in temps

at least it posts first time...

is this a problem with the board? (heat and voltage issue?)

Comment

Timings are not going to affect heat at all.

No, not really voltages and such should always be set manually and that is not a issue. Auto is just for those who do not know or can not ask someone for help. And of course so that most boards will start with most all components.

As for your NB yeah that is hot, but nothing a fan wont fix easily

Comment

strange enough, when I put the cover on the case the NB temps droped from 52C to 47C...

I've left it all on Auto for now, booted into Vista and now running OCCT for an hour or so to check it's all stable. monitoring temps as OCCT runs, so far NB temp is 48C CPU cores vary from 60-66C
              I think it's not too bad for a medium size HTPC case.

next I'll try the DES, I hope less Energy will reduce heat on idle

Comment

That is a little better, but still a little warm. But yeah it does all depend on your case and airflow

Comment

I've enabled the DES energy saving thing, and let it run for a while, and not even a single degree went down of the CPU or NB/Board temps... flashing lights work thou :)
                  I guess nothing other than the basics work for me on this board :/

Thanks for your help.
                  Please update if there are news regarding the GSkill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK compatibility with EP45-DS3R, as for now this combo doesn't seem to be working in dual channel at 2.1V 4-4-4-12

Comment

Sounds to me like you got a set of DOA sticks, as those are 100% compatible

Comment

how do you figure? if I use them not in dual channel mode, I can have them running at 2.1V 4-4-4-12

Comment

How long have you tested them in memtest86+ this way?

They should have no issue in dual mode unless you are not using proper settings. And when I say that I mean all I suggested not one or two here and there, all must be done at once.

And of course, you could have a bad slot on your board, did you test dual channel in both sets of slots?

Comment

I tried all the settings you suggested.
                          I tried both sets of slots.
                          I didn't run memtest86 on the single channel config, just saw that it posted. the dual channel configs won't post at first, and after they rebooted, they post but not at correct voltage and timing (and I got that "The system has experianced boot failures..." message.)
                          So, I'm not talking about stability yet, just can't post on dual channel at the 2.1v 4-4-4-12 (which I am able to do on single channel)

Comment

Then you should at least try main timings of 5-5-5-15, or 5-4-4-12 w/tRfc of 62 @800Mhz and see if that will post in dual, if 555 will not then you either have bad ram or a bad slot/slots for sure

Comment

which voltage to try with the above settings? (currently I've set it back to 1.8v)

Comment

2.1v

Comment

Working...
                                X