• 8800gt 3D not working

hi, I have this system:
    cpu e8200
    mb gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
    gpu gigabyte 8800gt GV-NX88T512HP
    ram DDR800 kingmax 2gb
    psu ocz 600W
    OS Windows XP SP2

the problem is, whenever i turn any 3d aplication, my pc freezs and then restart follows. Also I reinstalled winXP sp2 with a fresh directx9c and forceWare, but it doesn't help. What else...gpu tempereture is normal(49C), MB bios is default( F4 version) and extra power cord is connected to v-card.
    Is there any solution at all???

Re: 8800gt 3D not working

Originally posted by raichy View Post
    hi, I have this system:
    cpu e8200
    mb gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
    gpu gigabyte 8800gt GV-NX88T512HP
    ram DDR800 kingmax 2gb
    psu ocz 600W
    OS Windows XP SP2

the problem is, whenever i turn any 3d aplication, my pc freezs and then restart follows. Also I reinstalled winXP sp2 with a fresh directx9c and forceWare, but it doesn't help. What else...gpu tempereture is normal(49C), MB bios is default( F4 version) and extra power cord is connected to v-card.
    Is there any solution at all???
    Have you tried different versions of Nvidia driver, ie like going back to say a six month old version?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
      Have you tried different versions of Nvidia driver, ie like going back to say a six month old version?
      yes i tried, 169.21 and 175.19

Is it possible, that card may be fault?
      p.s thx for reply

Comment

yes i tried, 169.21 and 175.19

Is it possible, that card may be fault?
        p.s thx for reply
        Has this just started to happen or is it the result of you changing a setting, or even installing a new application?

If i remember rightly and if you are using XP, you appear to have what i think might be a blue screen typ fault suppressed by default, so as to reboot the PC, rather than show the error.

Without looking at an XP based PC right now, I believe there is an option to uncheck. This way it won't automatically reboot upon the error but will give you an error message and code. This way you might get an idea as to whats going on.

Many things can cause this, from a graphics driver to even AV software or a combination of the both etc.

It could also be the PSU "falling over" when additional load is put on it, ie when you go into 3D mode.

Although not a very good indicator of this type of fault, you could download HWmonitor from CPUID and see if your voltages are wildy out.

It could even be a fault with your Ram/settings that are showing up when you go into 3d mode.

How many running processes have you?
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Has this just started to happen or is it the result of you changing a setting, or even installing a new application?
          my first v-card was fault, I RMA it. They gave me another one (same model), still right after running anu 3d application screen goes black and PC restarts.

If i remember rightly and if you are using XP, you appear to have what i think might be a blue screen typ fault suppressed by default, so as to reboot the PC, rather than show the error.
          there are just black screen and then restart follows .

It could also be the PSU "falling over" when additional load is put on it, ie when you go into 3D mode.
          previous v-card(the same 8800GT model) worked fine, I think PSU is ok.

Although not a very good indicator of this type of fault, you could download HWmonitor from CPUID and see if your voltages are wildy out.
          12v line is OK.

It could even be a fault with your Ram/settings that are showing up when you go into 3d mode.
          I doubt it's something with Ram/settings, it all runs fine on integrated v-card. I believe it's faulty 8800GT chip or v-ram just like for many other people complaining exactly about the same problem for the same v-card aka 8800GT.
          How many running processes have you?
          31 processes
          Last edited by raichy; 09-22-2008, 02:41 AM.

Comment

have you overclocked the card at all? it sounds like your clocks are set too high and the card is heating up too much... check your idle temps with full GPU load (if you can get it working, if not, just use as much load as you can)... when was the card manufactured? try DLing your vbios and post the settings so we can see if there's a problem there

Comment

Yes, please post the actual BSOD error and we could better answer you. If it goes by to fast, and you cannot see it please uncheck this and cause the BSOD again and post the error.

This will disable Automatic restart on BSOD so you will see the error, and have to reboot the system (Control Panel, system, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recover Button, then in new window Uncheck the shown box in image) >>>

Have you ran Memtest86+ on your ram? If not, please do, one stick at a time >>>
              Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Could be dead or dying ram, or incorrect settings/voltages

Comment

Thats the bit I was reffering to and LSDme has the Screenshot too

Comment

Could be overheating ram as well dont ya think? I dont think those cards give a ram temp readout in anything do they? Only newer ones right?

Comment

Originally posted by BongWizard View Post
                    have you overclocked the card at all?
                    no, it is at stock frequency..

the memTest was completed sucessfully.

and there is blue screen :)

Comment

no, it is at stock frequency..

the memTest was completed sucessfully.

and there is blue screen :)
                      http://i34.tinypic.com/2liilpv.gif
                      Wow. I got that same bsod (nv4_disp) a'while back with my eVGA 8800GT.

The only thing that worked was to boot in safe mode , uninstall any/all Nvidia drivers , reboot into default Windows vid driver , check to make sure any Nvidia stuff was uninstalled (registry) reboot back again to default vid driver & then reinstall my Nvidia driver. Can't remember now which version I used but it fixed the bsod.

Comment

Yes nv4_disp is a Nvidia Driver error. Can be caused by incorrect ram timings causing driver error, or just driver error in particular, or a Bad or damaged card

Ya, there is some fixes out there, most included a driver uninstall and reinstall of the latest. But in the end you may have no other choice but to buy a new card (Or test some NON Nvidia Drivers) >>>
                        OmegaDrivers.net - Home of the ATI & NVIDIA Omega Drivers. NVIDIA

Or

NVIDIA - 3rd Party Drivers - EXTREME Overclocking

Here is some reading I grabbed for you about this error/issue >>>
                        NVIDIA Forums -> Wow Graphics Problems/nv4_disp driver failure

NVIDIA Forums -> Nv4_disp.dll Infinite Loop Finaly FIXED!

VIA Arena - Display Article

Fix the Windows XP NVIDIA nv4_disp problem

You should also flash to the latest BIOS for your board >>>

You may also want to try out beta drivers >>>
                        nZone - NVIDIA Beta Drivers - Download Beta Drivers

All OLDER nvidia Drivers can be grabbed here >>>
                        Download NVIDIA drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com

Good luck with it all, please post back your testing methods and findings

Comment

thx for support,
                          I think the best way to test that card is to put it into another pc. It will be possible at this weekend, i hope. I'll make sure to post results as fast as possible.

Comment

thx for support,
                            I think the best way to test that card is to put it into another pc. It will be possible at this weekend, i hope. I'll make sure to post results as fast as possible.
                            Have you installed any new applications recently like Anti-Virus software?

Edit:-

Just looking at your opening post, it looks like you did a fresh Windows install adding only essential drivers and no Apps?

I assume too, that this was a home build, so you have either XP oem or Retail. Reason i ask, if it were purchased from a PC supplier/manufacturer you could have a customised XP disk.

Have you tried to Re-Seat the card?
                            Last edited by VorLonUK; 09-23-2008, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                              today was my chance to put that card into another PC. So there was the same symphtoms and that means just one thing - card is faulty. So i'll be doing second RMA.
                              Anyway thx for support.

Comment

Working...
                              X