X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DS4: Getting above 450mhz

Q9450
    EX38-DS4
    2x2Gb G.Skill 1066mhz 5 5 5 15 @ 2.1v (8500CL5D-4GBPK)
    1000W PSU

I've been running this system for quite a while now and whatever I tried I couldn't seem to get this system to get above 450fsb stable. My temps should be fine since I've got the CPU on watercooling and the temps are fine. I've done a nice fanmod yesterday to cool the DDR and Nortbridge(bios@44c). I really can recommend this to anyone, costs you less then 10euros to make and works better then most of the premade stuff you buy in stores.

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc00211cz7.jpg
    (credits go to this awesome guy for the idea HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN MEMORY COOLER(56K UN-FRIENDLY) - Overclockers Australia Forums )

I've mainly tried running my ram at 5 5 5 15 at a 2.0D ratio. I'm trying to get the DDR closer to 1:1 with the CPU by highering the FSB. I've been playing around with the FSB voltage and (G)MCH, but I am not really sure how high exactly I could go with those at these speeds. I've read most of the overclocking sticky, but I still haven't figured out how to get any higher.

Im running these settings right now which are stable:
    ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc002151aj8.jpg

Second picture didn't come out so nicely so instead of giving you a headache i'll type them out:
    All Advanced timing controls on AUTO
    CPU PCIEX Clock Driving Control 800mV
    CPU Clock Skew Control: Normal
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control: Normal

DDR2 Overvoltage: +0.30
    PCI-E Overvoltage: +0.10
    FSB Overvoltage Control: 0.10
    (G)MCH Overvoltage control: +0.200
    CPU Voltage Control: 1.3500 ( can go lower with this but I'm doing a lot of testing right now )

So does anyone have any experience getting this board beyond 450mhz? I can get it to post at 465 and start loading windows but it will BSOD on me after that.

Thanks in advance

Re: EX38-DS4: Getting above 450mhz

Offcourse the thread title was supposed to say: Getting above 450FSB :P

Can't seem to find the edit button

Comment

Re: EX38-DS4: Getting above 450mhz

Ya, you have to have a certain # of posts to edit, not sure how much. The button will appear beside the quote button when you can use it.

I see you are not locking the PCI-E bus, you HAVE to do this when overclocking, seems you have been lucky so far and not corrupted your hard drive. Please change this now and always keep it at 100 so you will be used to seeing it set, and notice if it is not.

Try these settings >>>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40x] 1080Mhz << you may want to try the 333 strap whichever letter that is (C I think), you may have better luck. But then again the 400 strap may also be best, not sure for your board/ram best to test both.

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15/18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-5
      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________52-62
      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-6
      Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto << always leave on Auto

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
      CPU Clock Skew Control [normal] 50-150ps << Maybe 100-125 for 450FSB
      GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]50-250 ps << Maybe only 150-200 for 450FSB

Suggested above may or may not work, you may need to set to the higher values, or not set at all. I would say try that last, trying the other settings first to see if they work for you

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << Maybe .125
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V-0.25V]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35] << You may actually need more after vdroop? Only your thoughts about your chip and your past experiences can say what should work for 450FSB

When you in the past have got in at 465 or whatever closer to what you want, had you tested the ram in memtest86+ first to see if it is your CPU settings or your ram holding you back? Good idea to know which it actually is. The above should help you for sure though, as I see you previously had not been setting the advanced memory timings as well as some other small things

Comment

Working...
      X