Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA EP45-DS4 in Ubuntu Linux - problems with sensors, DES

Hi,

I just got an EP45-DS4, and it's working great in Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10).

However, even though I can read thermal sensors (4 CPU Cores, HD, graphic card), I can't get any information about the voltages with sensors (it just returns the core temperatures, whereas it should return everything).

Also, I noticed that the slowest speed I can get with a Vendetta in PWM mode is 1300RPM, while in voltage mode it goes down to 500RPM. Is there a reason to prefer PWM mode? In voltage mode, I can read the fan speed in the bios, but is there a possibility to get that information in the OS?

I'd also be interested to know how I can get DES working in Linux, since I didn't see anything in the bios about activating it.

Then, I can't get past 450FSB with a Q9550 rev. C1. I noticed that when I change the VCore manually (even for undervolting at stock speed) the voltage showed in the bios (PC Health Status) doesn't always change.

Thanks

Re: GA EP45-DS4 in Ubuntu Linux - problems with sensors, DES

Have you asked about P45 at the Ubuntu Forums?

Comment

Or more generally, from the 'lm_sensors' users?

lm_sensors is the package that reads the data from chips on PC. It has drivers for many chips, but those drivers have to be loaded, ie the lm_sensors has to be configured first. There is "sensors-detect" command to propose drivers. (SpeedFan on Windows behaves like it would detect on every start.)

Since OP gets some numbers, but not all, the installation has been partially successful.

DES in Windows depends on Gigabyte drivers, doesn't it? Unless Gigabyte provides a Linux version, or releases specs for DES interface, chances are not so nice.

EDIT: Oh my. lm_sensors of CentOS 5.2 refuses to install on GA-EP45-DQ6. "Detects" no longer supported chips. Probably relates to version included in CentOS.
      Last edited by mv2devnull; 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting that info mv2devnull, Yes DES is A gigabyte driver. Maybe some Linux user could make it work for him?

I don't know much about it all, I did install Ubuntu once to play with Compiz n such but was done with it in about 20 minutes

Comment

Thanks, I'll try Ubuntu forums for the questions relative to the P45 chipset. I did sensors-detect, and I've got the temps in the task bar, I'd just like to check the voltages in the OS, since the bios doesn't always report the voltages I specified manually for the VCore, DDRII and MCH (I followed Lsdmeasap advices on other threads relative to the EP45-DS4, with 1.3 for MCH and 2.1 for the DDRII - for the VCore, I tried to keep it just under 1.3V, I'm not sure if I should go higher). I updated the bios to F8, but it wouldn't overclock, so I came back to F5.

For questions specific to Gigabyte and bios options, however, I'm not sure there's a better place than here (if I just wanted plain P45, I'd have gotten an ASRock for half the price ;) ). For DES, I've got no idea if Gigabyte released the specs, without them there's not much Linux devs can do.

(Lsdmeasap, I myself checked Visa for a few afternoons when I had to help a friend with her computer and peripherals. I hope she'll never need my help anymore. Ever.)

Comment

You can use 1.2 or less with your MCH, you just have to memtest your ram to be sure it is still stable. 1.3 is not often needed

I can help you anytime with BIOS questions for sure!

Whats this mean?? You lost me there >>>
            (Lsdmeasap, I myself checked Visa for a few afternoons when I had to help a friend with her computer and peripherals. I hope she'll never need my help anymore. Ever.)

Comment

Apparently, one of the chips used in the GA EP45 cards isn't supported yet by lm_sensors, but they're working on it : and apparently it's just a matter of waiting ;)

I'll post the results here when they're done, it could help other EP45 users.

However, do you know if that chip is responsible for Vcore and fans on these mb? Are the Intel Core sensors only able to report the temps, and the mb is doing the voltage(s) reports?

Edit: according to this it should have all the sensors I need.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              You can use 1.2 or less with your MCH, you just have to memtest your ram to be sure it is still stable. 1.3 is not often needed
              I'm not sure the ram would be the problem - it's certified for 1000Mhz, and I memtested it a few times at that speed. However, I only ran it for half an hour at a time, esp tests 6 and 8 (if I remember correctly, that's the tests you pointed to in another thread).

450FSB seems a tad low, but it could just be my processor. I don't know what's the average for a Q9550. I might try to set the multiplier to 8 and see if I can increase the FSB, I don't know if it will tell anything.

However, at the moment the system is busy all the time, so it will have to wait a few days (I need it stable at the moment).

Whats this mean?? You lost me there >>>
              Just that I managed to survive Vista longer than you did Linux :P
              Thanks.
              Last edited by t3g; 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by t3g View Post
                I did sensors-detect, and I've got the temps in the task bar, I'd just like to check the voltages
                So 'sensors' from command-line does not tell voltages for you?

Comment

No. But they just released 3.0.3, which, according to their changelog, has support for ITE IT8720.

Didn't test it yet, I'm just hoping someone packages it for Intrepid before my patience wears out and I compile it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by t3g View Post
                    I'm not sure the ram would be the problem - it's certified for 1000Mhz, and I memtested it a few times at that speed. However, I only ran it for half an hour at a time, esp tests 6 and 8 (if I remember correctly, that's the tests you pointed to in another thread).

Just that I managed to survive Vista longer than you did Linux :P
                    Thanks.
                    Well MCH will need more Only if you use 2x2GB of ram, then it may need 1.15-.12 or so. 2x1GB is fine at stock, maybe 1.14 for stability.

Tests I recommend are for short test runs between changes or long final runs and they are test # 2 & 5. And I recommended a full overnight test of the full tests to check stability. And several hours of each test 2 & 5 as well. Half hour of any test is not enough to show anything other then that you do not have any Crazy settings and you are semi stable

Ahh, Ya I could use linux or Ubuntu, and like it. Just so used to Windows, and the millions of programs I use on it

Comment

Comment

You need to switch MCH latches to 400 to go that high, and raise Static tRead Value to 8 or above. Hmm, You are using the latest BIOS Right? Just thinking about your voltages, what does pC health section of the BIOS say when you change it to 2.2 or so?

You also need to disabled SpeedStep, which would be Disable EIST, and C1E

Advanced Settings
                        Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]<< To overclock, must be disabled
                        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]<< To overclock, must be disabled if you see it

x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]<< To overclock, must be disabled if you see it

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled] << To overclock, must be disabled
                        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] << can be enabled

You also must set trfc to 52-62 for 2x2, and you may want to set CPU Skew to 50-150, MCH skew 50-250

If you need further help let me know, you will need to manually set all settings to get best results

Comment

You need to switch MCH latches to 400 to go that high, and raise Static tRead Value to 8 or above. Hmm, You are using the latest BIOS Right?
                          I went back to bios F5 since F8 wouldn't even overclock to 400Mhz FSB, but I'll flash the bios again to see with the values you recommend. Indeed, I should have disabled SpeedStep, I just saw the thread about EIST an hour ago ;)

Just thinking about your voltages, what does pC health section of the BIOS say when you change it to 2.2 or so?
                          The problem is that whatever the voltage for the DDR2 (I only tried up to 2.1V since I'd rather not go over the ram specs) the PC health section always reports a DDR18V at 1.79V. If that is the DDR2 voltage (the manual doesn't explain this term), what could be the problem?

Comment

Ya, that is the ram voltage. I would suspect maybe that is a issue with F5 BIOS, so maybe try F7 since you did not like F8.

Be sure to load and apply optimized defaults after you flash, save and reboot back to the BIOS and make your disk changes, and anything else you need to change. Do not let windows load first without doing this as you will corrupt your RAID array if you have one

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X