GA-P35-DS3R v1.0 won't hold overclock at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3R v1.0 won't hold overclock at all

After 3 months of having a RMA'd board, my mobo will no longer hold overclocked settings at all, hot or cold. It will retain all settings except for the overclocking settings that are known stable settings I've used for the last 6 months. I have also tried bumping up the FSB from stock in 1mhz increments and it will not even allow that. I see many people have this same problem with similar boards and am wondering if anyone has figured out a fix to this completely erratic behavior. Also, please spare me any intuitive suggestions about component incompatibility, I've had this same setup running on my first board then this RMA'd one for over a year and a half completely stable :O

GA-P35-DS3R v1.0 F12 Bios
    Intel c2d e4300 1.8ghz
    G.skill DDR2 800 F2-6400PHU1-1GBHZ
    MSI Geforce 260 GTX
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Corsair HX620W

Re: GA-P35-DS3R v1.0 won't hold overclock at all

That's the same problem I'm having / have had.

In order to enable it to overclcok again, remove the cmos battery and the mains lead from the PSU, leave it overnight then the board will hold an overclock again.

That works for me and others I've seen with the same problem

It's incredibly frustrating to be told that the components are incompatible when it's been working perfectly for quite some time, and I'm no closer to finding out WHY it happens, or a means to stop it happening again, I'm pretty sure it's a BIOS issue though.
    Last edited by PC_Arcade; 09-25-2008, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PC_Arcade View Post
      It's incredibly frustrating to be told that the components are incompatible when it's been working perfectly for quite some time, and I'm no closer to finding out WHY it happens, or a means to stop it happening again, I'm pretty sure it's a BIOS issue though.
      Absolutely frustrating as if they didn't hear the board was running fine for quite some time.

I have seen this problem fixed by an updated BIOS but for newer boards that have not been running for a while.

Have you checked your memory with Memtest??? The memory could be dying.

Memtest86+ (Memory Testing)

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool Download

When doing basic tests on new ram or just for general testing purposes you should let the test run on it's own for a few hours up to 24 if you have the time and don't mind.

When you are tweaking timings and just need some quick answers you can quickly see if your recent changes have made your ram unstable by choosing certain tests. Some say their own set of test #'s to use and they may differ from my own, so if you see someone else suggesting test #'s they that would be fine as well to, it is up to you.

What test #'s I use for basic speed testing to see if recent changes are causing errors quickly are #'s 2 & 5. I run test #2 for about 10 minutes and if I see no errors I will then run test #5 for a hour or so. If no errors are found then your changes are likely ok for the time being. Longer tests will let you know for sure though, but like I said here we are speed testing while doing a little bit of tweaking. If it is going to fail you think and are not so sure let #5 run for a while. It will fail on #5 if it is going to fail.
      Try the last paragraph.

Comment

Yes, I would suggest to both users above to test their ram at stock speeds, timings, and voltages manually set, one stick at a time with Memtest86+ 2.01 linked above (Older versions not compatible with P35)

Once you are sure all your ram is not DOA or dying, please post back with full specs, like 2x1 or 2x2 ram and such. Most of the time things like this can be solved with a CPU re-seat or a Newer BIOS

If either of you would like, feel free to post me your settings, and I will see if I see anything out of the ordinary >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
        CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
        CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
        CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
        C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
        System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
        Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
        Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
        Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
        Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
        CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

I'm gonna run a few passes of MemTest and get back to you guys.
          Here is my config for the hell of it.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
          CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
          CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [312]
          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [101]
          C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50]
          DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
          Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12
          ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ Auto
          Rank Write to READ Delay________ Auto
          Write to Precharge Delay_________ Auto
          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ Auto
          Read to Precharge Delay__________ Auto
          Static tRead Value_______________ Auto
          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
          CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3625]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
          Last edited by thejsm; 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Hmm, Well Auto is generally no help in performance, and often can hinder Stability. Can you post a MemSet screenshot so I can see what you are getting in windows for all those Auto settings? MemSet linked in this thread>>>

Do you have Legacy USB Storage Detect Enabled? If so disable it, it is in Integrated Peripherals page.

How long has it been since you have reseated your CPU and loaded optimized defaults? Just wondering

Comment

To the OP - It is VERY frustrating when the motherboard will not accept even a 1mhz increase. For me removing the lead from the PSU and placing a jumper over the CMOS pins for 10 minutes has resolved it. When I replaced the lead and removed the jumper I then went into the BIOS and pressed F12, IIRC, and loaded my known stable overclocked settings.

Then it was fine.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the overclocked settings being too high, as it would then be expected to set at a lower speed and then allow access to the BIOS. Also it could be simply a setting too many as this has happened to me when I have gone in the BIOS and say altered the boot order for my hard drive and bingo the moderate overclocked settings are gone.
              My PC has looped memtest and Orthos etc etc so stability is fine.

BTW - When I have saved a setting in the BIOS which has subsequently lead to the overclocked setting being ignored, even though they are there when I look in the BIOS screen again, there is never anything more than a single boot - no double or triple booting.

My board is a P35c DS3r rev 2.0 F11 BIOS
              Last edited by VimesUK; 09-29-2008, 01:34 AM.
              Gigabyte DS3H Z77 board (being repaired) GA-Z77X-UD5H. 3570k CPU. 2x4GB Corsair LP DDR3 memory. Asus GTX 670 2GB GPU.

Comment

Yeah, IMHO there's a problem with the BIOS on the GA-P35DS3x series of boards, a number of people seem to be affected by this issue, and the fix always seem to be the same, clear CMOS completely, then go revert to overclocked settings.

It's strange, it's happened to me a few times now and I'm no closer to knowing why!

Comment

Legacy USB storage Detect Disabled? And no External USB devices connected?

Comment

Legacy USB storage Detect Disabled? And no External USB devices connected?
                    Why should that be a potential problem - are you serious no USB devices connected. ..?!!! Come on, there are 8 USB ports on the back and all of mine are full. I will not be removing every USB device, if that is what you are suggesting, just to see if my once in every so often b0rked BIOS savings don't happen..!

I've stood on one leg and spun round in a circle chanting a mantra or something and it still makes no difference.
                    A board will do what a board will do...

Seriously though for me it is no major issue, I posted about this months ago, as long as the boards dementia resolves itself with a 10 minute cooling off period. I use that time to go and make a cup of tea
                    Gigabyte DS3H Z77 board (being repaired) GA-Z77X-UD5H. 3570k CPU. 2x4GB Corsair LP DDR3 memory. Asus GTX 670 2GB GPU.

Comment

First YES, for now since you are having a issue. Second this setting causes many random issues, so I ask you to disable it to be sure it is not holding you back

And it has nothing to do with USB like what you are thinking, only DOS USB (Legacy)

8 USB's wow, what all do you have back there!

What you could do, is disable the setting and see if any are affected during windows use which they should not be

Comment

If and when mine becomes a problem I will give your suggestion a go, it was from one of your posts a while ago that I found the idea of the jumper on the board for ten minutes and it works a treat. The reason why it isn't a big deal for me is that I spend so little time in my BIOS once all is well, albeit I have just replaced my CPU and so spend a little longer there.

I am running my E8500 @ 8x500 = 4Ghz with my OCZ PC8000 memory at 1:1 with the FSB and everything is perfectly stable.

IIRC I needed the DOS legacy support for USB so that i can boot from my USB stick.

As for my USB devices at the back...

1. Epson 265 printer
                        2. Samsung Laser printer
                        3. HDMI media player
                        4. Cradle for my Dell PDA
                        5. Card reader for Camera cards etc
                        6. Mouse
                        7. Keyboard
                        8. External WD Elements 640GB drive

Front USB ports also used for USB sticks etc.

Comment

Ya, I use USB Boot as well, I just go in and enable the setting and reboot to use it. Then disable when I am done. Mine works fine on or off, but I leave it off so if I run into a issue later it is already known not to be the cause

DOS Boot would be the only affected one by disabling that setting, all your other devices mentioned are USB 1.0 or above

Comment

For the few times that I use Acronis I think that it also enables the mouse support when I have booted of my Acronis CD. No big deal as I can navigate via the keyboard.
                            I will go into the BIOS and disable the legacy support as it is no problem just to put it back on to flash or boot from a disk.

Comment

Well I only suggested it as a possible cause anyway, you could leave it off for a while and see if you still have issues. If so then that is not the cause, so you could re-enable it

Comment

Working...
                              X