Need LPT port cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need LPT port cable

I am going to build a new system based on a EP45-DS3R board. I am looking for the parallel port cable that connects to the board and provides an external port. After much searching I am asking those on the board if they know where to purchase the Gigabyte part or a suitable replacement.

Re: Need LPT port cable

Thanks for the many options. I do appreciate it.

Comment

I suggest that we ALL nag NewEgg, and tell 'em that if they'd be so kind as to stock these parts, they'd get ALL the business in the US, as, apparently NO ONE sells the D#$%^d things!

If there is no firm resolution by the time I get my board, I will use some old headers, hook 'em up to a breakout box, write a couple little 'port exercise' programs, and figure it out by brute force! Then, at least, we will know what's what, so we can cobble up our own!

Comment

Just an afterthought - dawned on me that almost no-one alive today probably knows what a breakout box IS

Little pocket gadget that connects every pin of a 25 pin RS connector to a separate, bi-polar LED - glows one color if positive voltage on pin, other color for negative. 'Back in the old days', comm standards were 'iffy': one POS would lock-on DSR, another would switch it when they felt like it - breakout box (which also allows you to short pins together with little jumpers) would tell you what you needed to know to solder up a working (well, most of the time, anyways...) cable...

quoted from: "Annals of an Old Fart"...

Comment

HAHA! Ya, that would be nice. I think all of the above is fine for any GA board though, a printer cable is a printer cable no matter the make of it I think. Least that is what I hear.

Hope the OP posts back on which he ordered, and let us know how it worked out

Comment

Yeah - I've actually thought about submitting a column to PC Mag or Computer Shopper about that - 'forum sensibilities' or some such...

1) RFM!

2) search before posting - someone else has probably HAD your problem, & that way, you won't need to wait for an answer,

and

3) once your problem IS solved, POST THE SOLUTION for the next poor guy...

Everyone with a problem has a motive to follow up, perhaps post additional info to aid in the diagnosis, and keep checking back, but, POOF, once the problem is solved the motive evaporates!

Comment

RTFM ya mean!

Comment

There's (as usual) a great, pertinent Dilbert:

[Dogbert's Tech Support]:

(Dogbert's answering the phone)

"I think I know what your problem is..."

"Take all the parts and arrange them into neat piles. Now stand on your chair so you can see above your cubicle wall..."

"Now shout 'Does anybody know how to read a manual?'"
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-05-2008, 02:42 AM.

Comment

LPT ports may be the same, but the connector on the motherboard is by no means a standard. Read here some stories of those that bought a "standard" LPT adapter and found it didn't work:

Looking for LPT Port Bracket

BTW, Gigabyte has published the pin assignment here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...ry/01_port.jpg

And these things are damn hard to find. I can't find a US dealer that sells them online. I emailed a few retailers, hopefully I'll get something back.

I need this to run an old LCD module - I've tried two LPT->USB adapters with no success. They may work for printers but if the software needs direct control of pins the USB adapters are junk. I'm about ready to buy an add-in LPT PCI card and be done with it, unless Bilbat wants to wire me up a special cable. :)

Shame on Gigabyte for making this so difficult.
                  Last edited by swank121; 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

There is a few Au dealers that sell the specific ones for Ga boards, do you need some links?

I guess this would also depend on where you live. Au is the only place I have found the exact cables, all of them

You can get Gigabyte to ship you some, have you contacted them?

Comment

Re: Need LPT port cable Ping: Janus Yeh

Hi
                      Is there a way to purchase the 12CF1-1LP001-01R,
                      LPT port bracket from Gigabyte locally in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>?
                      Perhaps you could please forward contact info to me, for your counterpart in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region>? Thank you in advance!

I've searched all the online retailers over here and cannot find it.
                      Found a few generics, but I understand the MB Header's Pin-Out is different than standard. I see Nadia, the Gigabyte Support Tech on the UK forum has sold several to folks there.
                      Thanks again! Cheers!

John

Comment

I am not sure if they could sell you any or not, you would need to contact them and ask.

You could call them and ask, here is that info
                        GIGABYTE

If you do not get the answer you are looking for let me know and I will email my contact in the US Office and have him either let me know who you should contact or I will have him send you an email.

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap I got ahold of 'em
                          here:
                          <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="Z-INDEX: 1; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: left; MARGIN-TOP: 3.2pt; WIDTH: 153.75pt; HEIGHT: 33.75pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 7.2pt; LEFT: 0px" id=_x0000_s1026 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:[email protected]" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JM\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_imag e001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>G.B.T. (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">U.S.A.</st1:country-region></st1:place>) Inc.<o:p></o:p>
                          <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">17358 Railroad Street</st1:Street>, <st1:City w:st="on">City of Industry</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode w:st="on">91748</st1:PostalCode></st1:address><o:p></o:p>
                          Tel: (626)854-9338 Fax: (626)854-9326<o:p></o:p>
                          http://www.gigabyte-usa.com<o:p></o:p>
                          And ordered one. $6 + 6 shipping
                          Nice, personable service, all three thumbs up for Gigabyte!

peace out

--jm

Comment

I thought they would take care of ya!

Gigabyte employees seems to all be very nice from what I know, and are always willing to go the extra mile for a customer.

Thanks for posting back to let us know

Comment

Working...
                            X