EP45 DQ6 IDE and SATA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45 DQ6 IDE and SATA

Does anyone here have an EP45 DQ6 running an IDE DVD with SATA HDDs? I'm about to pull the trigger on buying one but have read 2 reviews on Newegg where people couldn't get this to work.
    GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Re: EP45 DQ6 IDE and SATA

You should be able to, there is 2 controllers anyway.

What it is, sometimes there is issues with SOME SATA drives when you are using AHCI/RAID is all. You should have no issues with IDE drives. The only issue you may have is SATA DVD drive on a AHCI/RAID set controller. The IDE device is controlled separately. Maybe those users just did not install the correct Chipset drivers, or had faulty/incompatible DVD drives.

Just so you know, I have 2 DVD IDE drives and 2 SATA drives in RAID on my P45 so you will be fine

Comment

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.
      GA-EP45-DQ6, Q6700 @ 3.33ghz, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 PC 8800, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, Gigabyte Poseyden case, Geforce 7300GS, WD 1TB Caviar Black, SG 250 Barracuda, Raid 5 with 3 SG 250 Barracudas on ICH10R, Raid0 with 2 WD 640 Caviar Black on 3Ware 9650SE 4LPML, LG Bluray DVD R/RW, Corsair HX620W

Comment

Post back when you get setup and let me know how you get along with things

Comment

Will do - Can you let me know where you have your RAID Array plugged in? The orange or purple connections?

Comment

You can only use the Intel Orange/yellow connections for your OS Managed Array, the purple ports on P45 can no longer be managed, they are RAID 1 Backup only. Here is a discussion about that >>>

Comment

Got it this week, put it in the box and hooked everything up today - don't have all the software loaded yet - that will take a while to be sure. The IDE showed up right away.

Issues:

1. Drivers are loaded but I don't have much volume on my audio - very low. Not sure what I need to do there.
              2. My HDD light is on all the time - may have it plugged in wrong
              3. looks like the wrong RAM speed is showing up - not sure how to fix that in the bios
              4. Bios doesn't appear to let me choose which HDD to boot from - I want to have 2 HDDs with different OS - any tips on this?

Q6700, XP64, 4GB Kingston HyperX, 250gb Seagate Barracuda, 1Tb WD Caviar Black, 7300GS, Thermalright ultra 120 extreme (fit in my poseyden Gigabyte case with a little room to spare), LG BluRay burner, LG DVD IDE, Dell 2709 monitor (also have 3 250gb Segate barracudas I will be setting up in Raid 5 after I get everything else working and files set up)

Suggested settings for OC - would like to run 1333 FSB after the Arctic Silver burns in some.

Comment

What Audio Drivers did you install? I would suggest you get them direct from RealTek >>>
                Realtek

Ya, check the HD light connection direction and where you connected it. And if you have Smart Backup enabled in the BIOS and are not using it (the Purple ports) disable it and it should go off, if you have it connected right. This was a issue addressed in some of the links above

I will assume from your comment you bought 1066 ram and you see 800 right? All 1066 ram IS 800 just rated to run at 1066, the user must manually set the voltages and timings and then the memory multi to get 1066

Wel there is a few ways to dual boot, depending on what your plans are. Vista will setup a dual boot for you and you can install to 2 disks if you like. Just be sure to set the first boot device to the original Vista boot drive. As for have 2 separate, and switch in the BIOS when you want to choose that is simple, just go into the BIOS when you need to change drives and select a different first boot device. (I think it is +/- or PgUp/PgDn to move the drives up or down in the Boot device order menu)

Let me get a link to where you bought your ram and I will advise you for 1333 FSB setup.

Comment

I have 800 ram (using from my last board) sees it as 667 for some reson -

Audio is fixed- drivers from realtec installed -

I checked and the HDD light appears to be hooked up right to the header-I checked the case wiring and board pinouts - the smart backup is disabled.

Here's the Memory -
                  Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Is there a quick / fast boot option in the bios? Had that on my last board - this one I can't find it if it's there.

CPU Support list for this board shows q6700 is supported since F6 Bios - I have F5 but it seems to run fine and stable - think I should update the bios?
                  Last edited by srode1; 10-19-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Ok, got the HDD light to act right - I deleted the gigabyte raid driver and the light blinks when the HDD is working now. Thanks for the links Lsdmeasap - very helpful!

I noticed before I did this my power light is blinking - on for 6 seconds, off for 6 seconds on / off non stop - is that normal for this board?

Next step setting up the RAID discs in BIOS for RAID 5 and start moving some data around to where I want it. Then on to overclocking

Comment

Ya, you must manually set the ram speed is all is why you likely see 667.

Nice to see you got the LED fixed up.

No, no fast boot

Ya, Some older BIOS will support unlisted CPU's but best to update to at least the one marked as tested to work fully and properly for your CPU. So F6+ >>>

Do you have DES installed? If so, that may be why you power light is flashing

Here is some settings for you to get started with for 1333FSB >>>>

Code:
                      [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]

10x Multi (Will need more VCore)

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Fast
                      CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 10
                      CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.33Ghz (10x333)

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                      [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
                      CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                      CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333Mhz
                      [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

OR

9x Multi

CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
                      CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.997/3.0Ghz (9x333)

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                      [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
                      CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 
                      PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 
                      CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                      MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 50-100 (Test out last, may help with stability)

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
                      [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                      Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                      (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [333] (Can use 400 as well, but may not be as good)
                      System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40
                      Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
                      DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
                      CAS Latency Time........................4
                      tRCD .........................................4
                      tRP'...........................................4
                      tRAS..........................................12

Set all highest below then slowly lower one at a time testing between moves.  Lifesave is BIOS profiles, F11 on the MAIN page is save, F12 is load. This way you can keep a stable "Stock" and one you are overclocking with.  BE SURE you move the cursor down when you save so you dont overwrite the wrong profile.

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
                      tRRD...........................................3-5
                      tWTR..........................................3-6 (May need 12 to boot thru first boot)
                      tWR............................................4-6 (May need 14 to boot thru first boot)
                      tRFC...........................................48-50 (52-65)
                      tRTP...........................................3-6
                      Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
                      Driving Strength ............................800-1066, 1066 may work better

[b]Channel A[/b]
                      Static tRead Value.........................:(6/7-10 333 MCH) (8-12 400 MCH)
                       tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
                      tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                       tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                       tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                      Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                      Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                      Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                      Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                      Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                      Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
                      Voltage Type.………... Manual
                      [b]CPU[/b]
                      CPU Vcore….……….........................: << This will all be up to your CPU.  The board itself has about a .6 drop from the BIOS to windows, so if you have already used this CPU and know what voltage it needs to do what just add about.6.  If not you will just need to start high enough to boot and lower later.  I would think maybe 1.46-1.48 for 1.42-1.44 actual would be enough for sure, then you can lower it later probably alot if you use the 9x333 setup for 3Ghz

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.25-1.45 (Can be left in Auto)
                      CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Please set to whatever you see for Default, Auto will use too much
                      CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above)
                      CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above)

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
                      MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 for 4x1GB, may work with less, test later (Maybe 1.25ish will be fine)
                      MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                      MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                      ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                      ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
                      DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.9-2.0
                      DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                      Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                      Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
                      Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                      No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                      CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                      Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
                      Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

When I reloaded windows to get the RAID array up and running (see my other post) I noticed the power light was flashing slowly as before during the loading process - so it couldn't be the power saver device. Still not sure what is doing that but it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the tips on OC ing - I will try that out after it burns in some and I get some more software loaded.

Comment

So no DES or Smart Backup enabled? Hmm, not sure then, but nice to hear you are up and running. Post back once you get things going

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            Ya, you must manually set the ram speed is all is why you likely see 667.

Nice to see you got the LED fixed up.

No, no fast boot

Ya, Some older BIOS will support unlisted CPU's but best to update to at least the one marked as tested to work fully and properly for your CPU. So F6+ >>>

Do you have DES installed? If so, that may be why you power light is flashing

Here is some settings for you to get started with for 1333FSB >>>>

Code:
                            [B][U]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/U][/B]

10x Multi (Will need more VCore)

CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 10
                            CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.33Ghz (10x333)

[B][U]Clock Chip Control [/U][/B]
                            [B][U]Standard Clock Control[/U][/B]
                            [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

OR

9x Multi

CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
                            CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.997/3.0Ghz (9x333)

[B][U]Clock Chip Control [/U][/B]
                            [B][U]Standard Clock Control[/U][/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[B][U]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/U][/B]
                            CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 
                            PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 
                            CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                            MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 50-100 (Test out last, may help with stability)

[B][U]DRAM Performance Control[/U][/B]
                            [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [333] (Can use 400 as well, but may not be as good)
                            System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.40
                            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
                            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[B]Standard Timing Control[/B]
                            CAS Latency Time........................4
                            tRCD .........................................4
                            tRP'...........................................4
                            tRAS..........................................12

Set all highest below then slowly lower one at a time testing between moves.  Lifesave is BIOS profiles, F11 on the MAIN page is save, F12 is load. This way you can keep a stable "Stock" and one you are overclocking with.  BE SURE you move the cursor down when you save so you dont overwrite the wrong profile.

[B][U]Advanced Timing Control[/U][/B]
                            tRRD...........................................3-5
                            tWTR..........................................3-6 (May need 12 to boot thru first boot)
                            tWR............................................4-6 (May need 14 to boot thru first boot)
                            tRFC...........................................48-50 (52-65)
                            tRTP...........................................3-6
                            Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[U][B]Driving Strength Profiles[/B][/U]
                            Driving Strength ............................800-1066, 1066 may work better

[B]Channel A[/B]

[B]Channel B[/B]

[B][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/B]
                            Voltage Type.………... Manual
                            [B]CPU[/B]
                            CPU Vcore….……….........................: << This will all be up to your CPU.  The board itself has about a .6 drop from the BIOS to windows, so if you have already used this CPU and know what voltage it needs to do what just add about.6.  If not you will just need to start high enough to boot and lower later.  I would think maybe 1.46-1.48 for 1.42-1.44 actual would be enough for sure, then you can lower it later probably alot if you use the 9x333 setup for 3Ghz

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.25-1.45 (Can be left in Auto)
                            CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Please set to whatever you see for Default, Auto will use too much
                            CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above)
                            CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above)

[B]MCH/ICH[/B]
                            MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 for 4x1GB, may work with less, test later (Maybe 1.25ish will be fine)
                            MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                            MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                            ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                            ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
                            DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.9-2.0
                            DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[B][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/B]
                            Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                            No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                            x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                            Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[B][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/B]
                            Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Ok, I tried these settings - saved and it turned off - on - off - on then completed a boot up - not sure why it turned it self off twice?

Anyway, it idles around 38c, and loaded (4x scientific calcs running 9999999 n! all CPUs 100%) it leveled out about 51c average with a range of + or minus 1 degree on the 4 cores. System temp is 42c. I don't have a temp monitor for the MCH. From what I can tell it runs smooth here with the settings provded with the ones you suggested as a range set to the high end of the range, at least during my math test - haven't tried anything else.

Think I can go up to 10x multiplier without too much heat? CPU volstage is 1.296v, DDR2 is 2.0v. Or should I do more stability testing? Suggestions on how?

Should I have something to monitor the MCH temp? If so what do you suggest?

Also, how do I save my Bios settings as a backup incase I have a failed over clock in the future?

Thanks in advance for you help!
                            Last edited by srode1; 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Double reboot means it just had to shut down twice to make certain changes, kinda like windows vista updates restarts your system a few times to install updates sometimes. Some BIOS changes such as Static tRead or MCH latch, or CAS timings will need this double reboot. A triple reboot means things were not correct, and you would see a Warning about that when you next enter the BIOS.

EasyTune will show you the System/MCH/NB temps as will Everest Ultimate

F11 on the MAIN page of the BIOS is save, and F12 is load. Be sure when you are saving that you do not overwrite a profile you dont mean to. You can save a few, so just be sure to arrow down past the first one if you want to save several

Yes you can use 10 multi, but you may need to changes some voltages, but maybe not. If it fails then try a higher voltage

To tests Stability, you first need to be sure your ram settings and Voltages (DDR and MCH) are stable. I suggest you run memtest86+ for 6-8 hours if it passes then you can test your CPU and ram together with the below apps >>>
                              Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

To test CPU and ram, I use orthos >>>
                              Orthos_20060420.zip

But there is many other tests you can use, here is a few in this thread >>>

Comment

Working...
                              X