Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New, better bios needed it's time =)

Hi Gigabyte,

I've been having problems with my Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R sens i first got it it's not broken, it just won't work well with my Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 RAM (4x1GB). I think the problem lies in how the GA-P35C-DS3R distribute current to the RAM. I use the latest bios F12b. If I use [+0.3V] = 2.10V, which is actually between 2.20-2.40V (to much) I get blue screen as soon as the memory gets strained in Windows. If I don't get blue screen the computer freeze and files can become corrupt. If I use [+0.2V] = 2.10V - 2.16V, I have no problem as long as I keep RAM under 1066MHz. I've done many memtest and Prime95 test without problems with these settings.

Conclusion: I can't run/boot a stable system with RAM at 1066Mhz and anything higher then [+0.2V] = 2.10V - 2.16V

Other problems...

When the computer has been hibernateing during the night. The next morning when I boot the system, it does not work. This is because all power has disappeared from the ram and now the memory gets to little power. Bios then starts a boot loop trying to get the system to boot. After a few reboots. The bios reset itself by loading Optimized defaults. With Optimized defaults memory get's between 2.20V to 2.40V (auto) and the cpu also get way too much voltage, but in any cases. The system starts and I have to go into the bios to load my personal settings again. If I don't the bios continues to use Optimized defaults and the system hangs when Windows is about to be loaded. This is because the settings in Optimized defaults put memory at 1066Mhz and that is something this motherboard really do not like. I then get error messages like xxx missing re-install Windows, or xxx is corrupt and so on. This is just a lie as soon as I reload my own settings, the system starts up without problems. At the moment I have memory set at 918MHz which work fine.

Conclusion: I'm unable to recover from Hibernate when the voltages on the memory is set to [+0.2V] = 2.10V - 2.16V. (in Windows it works just fine)
    if I change voltage to [+0.3V] = 2.10V, which is actually between 2.20V - 2.40V (to much) or auto then there's no problem recovering from Hibernate the next morning. But once inside Windows ram will fail as soon there's some strain on the memory. It doesn't work to have that much voltage, it causes blue screens and in worse case scenario files become corrupt like the other day

My Settings:

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio _________________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio _________________ [0.5] (not available)
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2_________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50] (No strapping)
    DRAM Timing Selectable  (SPD)____ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Extreme] or [Standard] still wont boot at 1066Mhz

CAS Latency Time_______________ [Auto] (5) (4) also works
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________ [Auto] (5) (4) also works
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______  [Auto] (5) (4) also works
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)___________ [Auto] (18) (12) also works

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)__________ [Auto] (4)
    Rank Write to READ Delay_________ [Auto] (8)
    Write to Precharge Delay__________  [Auto] (15)
    Refresh to ACT Delay_____________  [Auto] (44)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________  [Auto] (6)
    Static tRead Value_______________  [Auto] (6)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust_________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control___________ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control_________ [+0.2V] [+0.2V] = 2.10V - 2.16V | [+0.3V] = 2.20 - 2.40V (TO MUCH)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_________ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control__________ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_______ [+0.2V]
    CPU Voltage Control_____________  [1.27500]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Disabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)...............: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................:  [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ..........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology.................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect............: [Enabled]
    Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-12-2008, 08:23 AM. Reason: Rewritten

Re: New, better bios needed it's time =)

Are you using the latest BIOS? 2.2 on those sticks is the warrantied amount not what they HAVE to have to run. Have you tried out 2.1v (+0.3)?

Some P35's are affected by S3 sleep BIOS bug, so if you have not updated and loaded optimized defaults manually after you flashed then you have to. Loading optimized and save/apply after you flash is a MUST

What you should do is save your Settings as a Profile, so if you do have issues still and have to keep loading defaults you can just load that profile again instead of manually entering them all over again. F11 is Save on the MAIN page, and F12 is load

And, so just so you know your overclock must be 100% memtest86+ stable, and orthos/prime stable for S3 to work. P35 boards MUST use this 2.01 version of memtest86+ or later (Coming soon in a week or so) >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

And all settings should be manually set as well, especially since you are overclocking. Auto is going to set incorrect timings, and improper voltages.

Do you think you need help with settings maybe? I can help!

If you do want some help, please fill this out for what you use that fails to resume and post your full specs (Ram amount and config as well) >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Hi and thanks for your answer. I have not received any email that someone has replied to my thread. Though "Thread Subscription" is set to Instant email notification.

I use the latest bios F12b.
      If I use (+0.3 v) = 2.10V, which is actually between 2.20-2.40v, I get blue screen as soon as the memory is strained in Windows. If I don't get blue screen the computer freeze and files can become corrupt. If I use (+0.2) = 2.10V - 2.16v, I have no problem as long as I keep RAM under 1066MHz. I've done many memtest and Prime95 test without problems. As mentioned above, If I use (+0.2) and keep below 1066MHz.

"Some P35's are affected by S3 sleep BIOS bug, so if you have not updated and loaded Optimized defaults manually after you flashed then you have to. Loading Optimized and save / apply after you flash is a MUST"

I've done it the right way, but it makes no difference.

I am grateful for all the help I can get.
      Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-09-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Is this 2x1 or 2x2GB? Sorry if my post is short, I am in a hurry and have to run here soon.

Ya, That email thing is broke sorry!

If you are using 2x2 you need to make these changes >>>

Refresh to ACT Delay______________ auto Refresh cycle time tRFC? (44) (52-62 for 2x2GB)

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << +.2-.3

What letter/symbol are you using here >>>

I would also need to know what you are setting here >>>

And this should be on standard >>>
        Performance Enhance = [Extreme]

Please do check back tomorrow. I will be back in tomorrow night and I do answer each new post (Normally) each day when I get in. Don't have that much time today to do 3 pages of posts, so I am only getting at the zero replies and the few of you that are here now before I go

Good luck, and please do not wait on a email, check back tomorrow night

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Is this 2x1 or 2x2GB? Sorry if my post is short, I am in a hurry and have to run here soon.

Ya, That email thing is broke sorry!

If you are using 2x2 you need to make these changes >>>

Refresh to ACT Delay______________ auto Refresh cycle time tRFC? (44) (52-62 for 2x2GB)

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << +.2-.3

What letter/symbol are you using here >>>

I would also need to know what you are setting here >>>

And this should be on standard >>>
          Performance Enhance = [Extreme]

Please do check back tomorrow. I will be back in tomorrow night and I do answer each new post (Normally) each day when I get in. Don't have that much time today to do 3 pages of posts, so I am only getting at the zero replies and the few of you that are here now before I go

Good luck, and please do not wait on a email, check back tomorrow night
          Hehe ok!

I use 4x1GB (2 matched kits) static tRead Value is 6, System Memory Multiplier is 2.50

You seems to know much. Why can't I run at 1066Mhz??? Windows won't boot at that! I get "boot manager corrupt" and ****, witch is not true.
          Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-09-2008, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Use static tRead 10 for now, that is way to low.

What I asked about your memory multi is what strap letter or symbol is beside 2.40 like 2.40~ or 2.40B? See what I mean

K, well if you dont get anywhere please post me your full settings and I will help you when I get back later tonight >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
            CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
            Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
            C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
            DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
            Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
            Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
            Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
            Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
            Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Use static tRead 10 for now, that is way to low.

What I asked about your memory multi is what strap letter or symbol is beside 2.40 like 2.40~ or 2.40B? See what I mean

K, well if you dont get anywhere please post me your full settings and I will help you when I get back later tonight >>>>

Originalpost Rewritten, do you need anything els?

PS: There's no strapping ( no letter or symbol just 2.50 )
              Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-09-2008, 06:52 AM.

Comment

OK, are you using the latest BIOS? And just so you know, the memory multiplier you mention is on the 266/1066 strap ONLY. So you would be using that strap. And you may have better luck on a higher/looser strap (Cant really say which as you never said what CPU you have)

Here you can see them all with each multi available to each strap >>>

You need to use a higher strap to keep 1066 stable, like try out the 2.4 multi with your FSB bumped to 445 or so for 1066 ram speed . Please post me your CPU and what you would like to run and I will advise you of some better settings

Comment

OK, are you using the latest BIOS? And just so you know, the memory multiplier you mention is on the 266/1066 strap ONLY. So you would be using that strap. And you may have better luck on a higher/looser strap (Cant really say which as you never said what CPU you have)

Here you can see them all with each multi available to each strap >>>

You need to use a higher strap to keep 1066 stable, like try out the 2.4 multi with your FSB bumped to 445 or so for 1066 ram speed . Please post me your CPU and what you would like to run and I will advise you of some better settings
                  I use the latest bios F12b. You asked if there was any symbol or letter after the memory multiplier which there is not on 2.40 or 2.50, so I do not know what you mean? I have Intel's Q6600 clocked to 3.0GHz and 3.3GHz when I play. And RAM at 918Mhz 4-4-4-12 [+0.2V] stable! I cannot go much further than 3.3GHz on CPU, it gets too hot.

I still believe the big problem here is the voltage to the memory. The values in the bios is wrong. [0.3 V] to be ~ 2.20V, but in reality it is more 2.40V which is too much. [0.3 V] works on boot and is needed to boot the computer after it been shutdown for some time, for example during the night. But as I said you can not use [0.3 V] inside the windows as soon as the memory is strained the memory will fail as I said earlier.

PS: I'm reading your post is much to take in i'll do my best.
                  Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-10-2008, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Well that could be the issue, A Beta BIOS.

Strap letters or symbols should be shown either on the left or by the ram multi #, since you say they are not on the numbers you should see them on the left. But yea 2.x may not have any anyhow. The 2.4 multi should be more stable as it will use the 333/1333 strap and the NB will have looser timings

Comment

Well that could be the issue, A Beta BIOS.

Strap letters or symbols should be shown either on the left or by the ram multi #, since you say they are not on the numbers you should see them on the left. But yea 2.x may not have any anyhow. The 2.4 multi should be more stable as it will use the 333/1333 strap and the NB will have looser timings
                      I have + ~ # (on the right) for 4.0+ or 4.0~ never seen # the thing is at 333x9 4.0~ is 1333Mhz and that will never ever work :p I just tried CPU at 2.4Ghz (default) witch the 4.0~ strapping 1066Mhz did not work! it will boot alright but will not load windows "windows boot manager" Windows failed to start a resent hardware error bla bla. And i have Windows memory diagnostic to select witch shows error. I don't think its the beta bios I've had this problem sens F2 or something.

do you have msn or similar so we can get through this in a life time (you can always block me later) :) if that's ok PM me if not don't
                      Last edited by Blackkatt; 11-10-2008, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Ok, yeah that is what I meant. Sorry I forgot P35 boards wont allow the 333 Strap to be chosen manually no matter the CPU

Nope, sorry I dont install messengers. They sidetrack me. Post your full settings again and what you want to use and I will try to help again. You have tested each ram stick by otself at stock right to see if they are both working 100%?

Comment

Ok, yeah that is what I meant. Sorry I forgot P35 boards wont allow the 333 Strap to be chosen manually no matter the CPU

Nope, sorry I dont install messengers. They sidetrack me. Post your full settings again and what you want to use and I will try to help again. You have tested each ram stick by otself at stock right to see if they are both working 100%?
                          Yes I did that when I first got them and didn't knew what was wrong. Am trying to find a way to capture cmos/bios I'll be back soon with it (i hope)

Comment

K, Just print out a template from here and write them down is about the easiest way

I will be leaving in about 5 minutes, so I will catch up with you tomorrow

Comment

K, Just print out a template from here and write them down is about the easiest way

I will be leaving in about 5 minutes, so I will catch up with you tomorrow
                              My settings are on the first page my first post (it's updated)

Comment

Working...
                              X