GA-EX58-EXTREME Power Up Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-EXTREME Power Up Failure

I've got my system set up outside my case to make sure everything is running before I mount everything but have run into a brick wall.

My system will not power up. Stutters for about half a second then just sits there with no fans running, nothing except the Clear CMOS and Power buttons lit up and two LEDs next to the RAM module.

The two LEDs that are lit up are labeled '1' and '2' in the middle of the row of 7 LEDs that are labeled from bottom to top '1' '2' '1' '2' 'L1' 'L2' 'L3'. I believe these are the DDR Phase LEDs on page 7 of the manual (Green and yellow).

The CPU fan, the power supply fan and I think the video card fans start to spin, but only get through a few rotations. The NB Phase LEDs flash, the SB Voltage L3 light flashes, and the Debug LED indicator flashes, but only for an instant. Two green LEDs directly above the internal power button also flash for an instant (I think they are the bottom 2 phase LEDs labeled as 22 in pg 28 of the manual). I see a red LED inside my CPU cooler flash, and my video card lights flash, but again, only for an instant before everything shuts off except for the mentioned LEDs and buttons.

I am not an a beginner PC builder so I know all the basic troubleshooting, and this really looks like a short on the board somewhere to me. Also, I hooked up a speaker to the MB and there are no beeps.

My system is as follows:
    GA-EX58-EXTREME
    Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D (3x1GB)
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    Spinpoint 750GB SATAII
    Lite-On DH-20A4P IDE
    EVGA 9800 GX2
    Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler

I've tried various RAM configurations, of course with the DDR3_1 slot and a single stick (used various, doubt all 3 could be faulty). Tried the clearing the CMOS button tricks mentioned on these forums.

The system did boot up once, I got into the BIOS, enabled RAID, started to load Vista 32Bit OEM, turned around while it loaded and lost power. I haven't been able to get it back up since.

I got to boot by unplugging components one by one until it powered up... started plugging them back in and successful... temporarily. I have been unaible to reproduce these results with the same methods.

The only thing I can think of to do now is take off the CPU cooler, make sure everything is attached correctly there, maybe put on the stock cooler and give that a try. Else it sounds like I've got an RMA on my hands, but any ideas please, let me know.

Re: GA-EX58-EXTREME Power Up Failure

sounds like you may be shorting it out on the case. Are you using stand offs (pegs that you screw the board into)

Comment

The motherboard is not in a case. Started on a phonebook, moved on to the Gigabyte box. I've checked several times to make sure the MB was not shorting with anything in the environment.

I've heard discussion of the board components shorting themselves, like with the chipset coolers.

This sound familiar to anyone? Any other ideas?

Comment

my bad sorry. Make sure that you have the 8pin 12v connected. then install one stick of ram in the 2nd slot from the cpu. Install video card cpu cooler and connect a speaker and then try.

Comment

Have any luck yet?

Sounds like you have tested all the normal things you should. Try clearing the CMOS with my method posted in post # 2 here >>>

If no luck you may have to RMA

Comment

So I had thrown in the towel... packed her up, getting ready to RMA, decided I'd use some of my new parts on my old system to play some games till I got my new motherboard...

Plug in my PSU to my old computer and the issues on my Gigabyte motherboard are replicated...

Quickly pull the Gigabyte MB out and hook everything up to my old PSU and well... I'm in the process of installing Vista... so I think its obvious what the real culprit was, time to pack up the Thermaltake PSU and get ready for a different RMA.

I think I've have overcome all the other issues I've come across with this motherboard, so if I don't post again, that means the motherboard is working fine. I appreciate the help guys and glad that whatever is wrong with the PSU didn't explode my computer...

Comment

NICE to see you found the culprit!!!!

Post back anytime!

Comment

Did the new power unit work? I am having the same issues , except I have no boot at all...no fan movements . The only signs of life are the clr cmos light on the back of the case , the pw_sw switch and the two DDR Phase Led on the mother board . Its getting pretty frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypno View Post
                  Did the new power unit work? I am having the same issues , except I have no boot at all...no fan movements . The only signs of life are the clr cmos light on the back of the case , the pw_sw switch and the two DDR Phase Led on the mother board . Its getting pretty frustrating.
                  clear cmos, turn off power supply from switch, wait a minute or so then try power back on.

Comment

Originally posted by vizard View Post
                    clear cmos, turn off power supply from switch, wait a minute or so then try power back on.
                    Tried that but it was the same thing. Not even a sound from the power supply. Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypno View Post
                      Yeah, it was the power supply. Returned it, got a Corsair 1000w, worked on my first try, everything since has run extremely smooth. I am very satisfied. Haven't really had a chance to mess around too much with the setup, but hardware wise everything is working nicely.

So I suggest try another PSU if you got one on hand... if not go to a local BB or something, buy one, try it out, return it the PSU [make sure you can get a full refund first ;) ], and if it works get the real power supply you want.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MDeTHX77 View Post
                        Yeah, it was the power supply. Returned it, got a Corsair 1000w, worked on my first try, everything since has run extremely smooth. I am very satisfied. Haven't really had a chance to mess around too much with the setup, but hardware wise everything is working nicely.

So I suggest try another PSU if you got one on hand... if not go to a local BB or something, buy one, try it out, return it the PSU [make sure you can get a full refund first ;) ], and if it works get the real power supply you want.

Good luck.
                        Thanks for the response...unfortunately I just bought the Corsair 1000 ...guess I will pull the 350 w out of the old machine and give it a try.

Comment

Wow, that sucks, you sound like me, get the worst luck with some of the "best" gear. If the Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W still isn't available by the time you figure out your problem I suggest you get another Corsair, it runs real quiet... well if it actually runs. Good luck.

Comment

Wow, that sucks, you sound like me, get the worst luck with some of the "best" gear. If the Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W still isn't available by the time you figure out your problem I suggest you get another Corsair, it runs real quiet... well if it actually runs. Good luck.
                            Ya tell me about it , I went with all pretty good gear and I just confirmed with my 300w Enlight Corporation power supply from an 8 year old PC that it is indeed a power supply issue. Well back it goes....hopefully the next one is ok.

Comment

I've got my system set up outside my case to make sure everything is running before I mount everything but have run into a brick wall.

My system will not power up. Stutters for about half a second then just sits there with no fans running, nothing except the Clear CMOS and Power buttons lit up and two LEDs next to the RAM module.

The two LEDs that are lit up are labeled '1' and '2' in the middle of the row of 7 LEDs that are labeled from bottom to top '1' '2' '1' '2' 'L1' 'L2' 'L3'. I believe these are the DDR Phase LEDs on page 7 of the manual (Green and yellow).

The CPU fan, the power supply fan and I think the video card fans start to spin, but only get through a few rotations. The NB Phase LEDs flash, the SB Voltage L3 light flashes, and the Debug LED indicator flashes, but only for an instant. Two green LEDs directly above the internal power button also flash for an instant (I think they are the bottom 2 phase LEDs labeled as 22 in pg 28 of the manual). I see a red LED inside my CPU cooler flash, and my video card lights flash, but again, only for an instant before everything shuts off except for the mentioned LEDs and buttons.

I am not an a beginner PC builder so I know all the basic troubleshooting, and this really looks like a short on the board somewhere to me. Also, I hooked up a speaker to the MB and there are no beeps.

My system is as follows:
                              GA-EX58-EXTREME
                              Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D (3x1GB)
                              Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
                              Spinpoint 750GB SATAII
                              Lite-On DH-20A4P IDE
                              EVGA 9800 GX2
                              Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler

I've tried various RAM configurations, of course with the DDR3_1 slot and a single stick (used various, doubt all 3 could be faulty). Tried the clearing the CMOS button tricks mentioned on these forums.

The system did boot up once, I got into the BIOS, enabled RAID, started to load Vista 32Bit OEM, turned around while it loaded and lost power. I haven't been able to get it back up since.

I got to boot by unplugging components one by one until it powered up... started plugging them back in and successful... temporarily. I have been unaible to reproduce these results with the same methods.

The only thing I can think of to do now is take off the CPU cooler, make sure everything is attached correctly there, maybe put on the stock cooler and give that a try. Else it sounds like I've got an RMA on my hands, but any ideas please, let me know.

I have the same problem, I changed the moteroard with another new EX58-Extreme, but didn't solv the problem, I suspected it is the Thermaltake PSU, but too bad it is out o warranty

I should buy a new PSU some time soon as it is really holding me back!

Check out my this you tube clip I made with the problem :

YouTube - GA EX58-Extreme boot issue

Comment

Working...
                              X