Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R and installing XP using pre-SP1 disk

Hello and Happy Holidays!

I am building a new PC and have settled on the GA-EP45-UD3R except that I read this comment on Newegg:

Pros: This was a new build and went together with no issues, powered right up and combined with an E8400 CPU, 2G DDR2 1066 G Skill ram, Asus EAH4830 and a WD1001FALS ITB drive this system is very fast and responsive, boots up very fast, extremely happy with its performance.

Had some struggle loading XP Pro as I have a vintage copy (pre SP1) and it would not load. Called Gigabyte and talked to a very competent tech support person who identified the issue very quickly. This is the second time I have talked to their support about minor issues and they are outstanding.

Cons: Gigabyte web site has to be the slowest one ever, taking 5 minites to load a page but it does have all the info you need.

Other Thoughts: For XP users make sure you have a copy of SP2 or better in order to load the OS.

This is my thrid Gigabyte build, I'm sold !

My problem is my XP disk is also a pre-SP1 version from a very long time ago. Will I not be able to install it on this board?

Thanks

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R and installing XP using pre-SP1 disk

Why don't you download sp3 and slipstream it, then burn a new install CD? It is easy to do, let me know if you need instructions.

Comment

I did try that before w/SP2 but I couldn't get it to work. I am not using SP3 yet so I don't know about that but I'd try it with SP2 if you've got some good instructions you can point me to.

I've just never had a problem with all the upgrades over the years and was surprised to read this comment on Newegg.

Comment

The easiest way to slipstream (that I've found) is using nLite...
        nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation
        Its a free program. You can also use it to customize the windows install, but I wouldn't mess with that unless you really know what you're doing.

nLite can slipstream the service pack into the xp install and create a new windows install ISO. You'll need to burn the ISO to a cd. If you don't have a favorite burning program I recommend cdburnerxp...
        CDBurnerXP: Introduction and News
        Another free program, very easy to use.

Hope that helps. Please let us know how it goes!

Comment

I believe that Microsoft stated that you must upgrade from XP to SP1 before you can upgrade to SP3. Perhaps that is required for SP2 also and is why you didn't get it to work. Do you know anyone who has an SP2 or SP3 CD that is the same version as yours, meaning is it retail or OEM, Home or Pro? As long as you have a valid key you can use any disk as long as it is the same version as yours. At any rate, if you want to slipstream Service Pack 1a, here is how to do it if you don't want to use nlite.

1. Create a source folder and name it XPCD, for example, at the root of your hard drive, C:\XPCD.
          2. Copy the contents of your CD to this folder.
          3. Download the network install of the service pack and save it to the root of your hard drive.
          4. Create a folder and name it SP1a, for example, at the root of your hard drive, C:\SP1a
          5. Extract the service pack file to the C:\SP1a folder. Click Start > Run, then type "C:\xpsp1a_en_x86.exe -x:C:\SP1a" (without the quotes) and press enter. You will see a window called "extracting files" with a progress bar. When the extraction is complete click OK.
          6. Slipstream the extracted files into the source. Click Start > Run, then type "C:\SP1a\i386\update\update.exe -s:C:\XPCD" (without the quotes) and press enter. You will see a window indicating that your Windows share is being updated. When it is done click OK.

If you want to further update to SP2 or SP3, download them and repeat steps 3. through 6, replacing the SP folder name and filename accordingly.

Download locations

SP1a: Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 1a Network Install (32-Bit) for IT Professionals

SP2: Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers

SP3: Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Now that you have updated your Windows share you must make a bootable CD. The easiest way to do this is to download CDImage GUI http://unattended.msfn.org/files/global/CDIMAGE_GUI.EXE and follow the instructions here. MSFN's Unattended Windows : Using CDIMAGE GUI CDImage GUI is a self-extracting file that creates the folder CDImage. cdimagegui.exe is located in this folder. This will make an iso file that you can burn to CD. Now burn the created iso file with your favorite burning application. You now have a bootable updated XP install CD. If you have any questions please ask. Merry Christmas!
          Last edited by flyfisher; 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I used nLite and had no problems creating a bootable Win XP SP3 disk right from my original pre-SP1 disk. I tried it out and boy, is that sure better than 500 windows updates and restarts!

So anyway, I guess that solves the original question since I now have an SP3 disk to use.

I had no issues needing SP1 before SP3.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
            X