Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying to get the ram up to right speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to get the ram up to right speed?

i hope someone can help me..ive read through some of the posts but i cant figure out what to do...i am pretty new to this and im stuck... i just bought the gigabyte ga-ep45t-ds3r/ds3 motherboard and 2x2gig (patriot memory) PDC34G1600ELK (DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.8v) with the board being 1600 fsb and ddr3 can be overclocked to 1900...i am only getting the memory at 1333 and windows reports the ram at 3.25GB. i think i heard that since im using windows xp pro sp2 i can only get 3.3 out of my 4 Gb of memory...is that true? the processor is at 3.0GHz.. so what i wanna know is how much can i overclock the the 3.0GHZ to (what settings can i do before it becomes unstable),am i only gonna be limited to 3.25GB from the ram instead of the full 4GB, and what do i need to set the bios to so i can run the ram at the number that its supposed to be(1600) and not what its at right now(1333)... hope someone can help..thanks in advance...ROB...sorry..i forgot to add i used memset3.6 just to see whats up...this is what it says...my memory is ddr2 666.8MHz fsb/dram 1:2. I changed the timing from 7-7-7-20 to 9-9-9-24(those are the numbers on the sticker)... i dont understand how thats possible that it says the ram is ddr2 when its supposed to be ddr3.
    Last edited by weaz4200; 12-27-2008, 03:14 AM.

Re: trying to get the ram up to right speed?

Yes, Windows 32bit only sees around 3.25GB of Ram - it's a 32bit OS limitation. You can overcome it by using a 64bit OS.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

thank you for that response...but what about the other stuff i asked...anyone that can help..id appreciate it.

Comment

The Sticky thread on the fist page of this Giga-byte forum:-
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

yes i know.. thank you for that link(already looked at it) VorLonUK..not to be rude...but thats all gibberish to me.. i dont have that much of an understanding...i dont wanna just start putting random numbers in. maybe ill just call tech support on monday if no one can help me figure it out. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by weaz4200 View Post
            i hope someone can help me..ive read through some of the posts but i cant figure out what to do...i am pretty new to this and im stuck... i just bought the gigabyte ga-ep45t-ds3r/ds3 motherboard and 2x2gig (patriot memory) PDC34G1600ELK (DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.8v) with the board being 1600 fsb and ddr3 can be overclocked to 1900...i am only getting the memory at 1333 and windows reports the ram at 3.25GB. i think i heard that since im using windows xp pro sp2 i can only get 3.3 out of my 4 Gb of memory...is that true? the processor is at 3.0GHz.. so what i wanna know is how much can i overclock the the 3.0GHZ to (what settings can i do before it becomes unstable),am i only gonna be limited to 3.25GB from the ram instead of the full 4GB, and what do i need to set the bios to so i can run the ram at the number that its supposed to be(1600) and not what its at right now(1333)... hope someone can help..thanks in advance...ROB...sorry..i forgot to add i used memset3.6 just to see whats up...this is what it says...my memory is ddr2 666.8MHz fsb/dram 1:2. I changed the timing from 7-7-7-20 to 9-9-9-24(those are the numbers on the sticker)... i dont understand how thats possible that it says the ram is ddr2 when its supposed to be ddr3.
            Your maximum Memory multiplier is 4x, which means 333 x 4 = 1333Mhz
            To run your RAM at the advertised 1600Mhz, which may or may not work on your board, you need to run the CPU Host frequency at 400Mhz, ie 400 x 4 = 1600Mhz.

Using my telepathic powers, i'm assuming you have an E8400 at 3Ghz?, if you are then you have a 333/1333 FSB CPU which has a CPU Multiplier of 9X, ie 333Mhz x 9 = 3000Mhz aka 3.0Ghz.

What that means is if you set the CPU Host frequency to 400Mhz and your Ram Multiplier to one of the 4X straps, you'll get your DDR3 running at 1600Mhz and your CPU running at 400 x 9 = 3600Mhz aka 3.6Ghz. ie a CPU overclock, which may need better cooling. Are you using the Intel stock cooler? If you are it's unlikely enough for a 20% overclock.
            But to be honest i doubt very much your your DDR3 will run at 1600Mhz in your board without a lot of tweaking. There are few boards where this is easily achievable.

Comment

i downloaded cpu-z, it was a problem with memset..is ddr3 indeed. here is a screen shot of all the info... http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2227/cpuzfa4.jpg
              Are you using the Intel stock cooler?
              i built the computer myself..it isnt stock.. i used the high performance ultra quiet cpu cooler (CNPS9500 AT) by Zalman.

Comment

thanks VorLonUK but i cant seem to get better than 1333..which is a bunch of BS! oh and tech support when i called was no help...Freakin worthless...so thank you and i guess next time i put together another computer a GIGABYTE motherboard is out of the question...just worthless paper weight and a waste of money, seeing as tech support wont even help...later

Comment

thanks VorLonUK but i cant seem to get better than 1333..which is a bunch of BS! oh and tech support when i called was no help...Freakin worthless...so thank you and i guess next time i put together another computer a GIGABYTE motherboard is out of the question...just worthless paper weight and a waste of money, seeing as tech support wont even help...later
                  That's what the board is designed to do - what more do you want?, when you make comments like this:-

yes i know.. thank you for that link(already looked at it) VorLonUK..not to be rude...but thats all gibberish to me.. i dont have that much of an understanding...i dont wanna just start putting random numbers in. maybe ill just call tech support on monday if no one can help me figure it out. thanks
                  That "Gibberish" as you call it is an excellent guide to those who wish to overclock. If you don't wish to overclock then that's fine, your setup appears to be working properly.

Comment

That "Gibberish" as you call it is an excellent guide...
                    i didnt mean that in a bad way...maybe i used the wrong word...by gibberish i meant that i dont really understand it...i could sit there and read it 50 times and i wouldnt get it..thats why i asked so i could get an answer from a person... im sorry if i offended you.. but i wrote this right after i got done with tech support... half an hour on the phone waiting and no help...i was kinda peaved. if i would of know that ill i could get was 1333 with ddr3 at least thats what its running stable at..i would of just saved some money and bought something cheaper... i had it running a little higher without shuting me down...but my programs were acting funny..they'd freeze up.

Comment

i didnt mean that in a bad way...maybe i used the wrong word...by gibberish i meant that i dont really understand it...i could sit there and read it 50 times and i wouldnt get it..thats why i asked so i could get an answer from a person... im sorry if i offended you.. but i wrote this right after i got done with tech support... half an hour on the phone waiting and no help...i was kinda peaved. if i would of know that ill i could get was 1333 with ddr3 at least thats what its running stable at..i would of just saved some money and bought something cheaper... i had it running a little higher without shuting me down...but my programs were acting funny..they'd freeze up.
                      I tried to explain on a previous post that you can't just set your "qualified" (on SOME boards) Ram to run a 1600Mhz Without Overclocking the FSB. Which means in reality to achieve this, you'll have to Overclock other items too, as there isn't a Memory multiplier high enough, for you to leave your CPU at Stock and run the memory at a much higher frequency.

Going above 1333Mhz with DDR3 you go into territory that MAY be achievable with some board/memory combinations. But much of the time, as it is Overclock territory, you have to be prepared to learn and test more than you normally would have to. Running DDR3 at 1600Mhz is Not a stock setting and you would have learnt that if you had researched your setup before buying it.

Comment

Yes with CPU at 3Ghz (333 FSB) your max ram speed available would be 1333. You still have not said what CPU you have so I would have to guess E8400 as well.

To be able to even try to run your ram at 1600 you will have to AT LEAST overclock your CPU to 400 FSB and try to use the 4.00B strap Multi or 480 FSB and use the 3.33D strap Multi

Auto is not going to cut it with those ram speeds, so you will need to set everything manually as far as ram voltages and timings go.

If you do need help with some suggested settings please link us to your ram and let us know which of the above FSB speeds you want to run and we will give you some suggested starting points

Comment

Lsdmeasap...yes it is the E8400....once again my previous posts weren't meant to be mean...i just tend to word things wrong..sorry for that...here is a list of every component... motherboard... processor... Ram... Power supply... and Processor Fan cooler... that about covers it...hope to hear from ya soon. thanks

Comment

Lsdmeasap...yes it is the E8400....once again my previous posts weren't meant to be mean...i just tend to word things wrong..sorry for that...here is a list of every component... motherboard... FRYS.com*|*Gigabyte processor... FRYS.com*|*Intel Ram... FRYS.com*|*PATRIOT Power supply... FRYS.com*|*Thermaltake and Processor Fan cooler... FRYS.com*|*Socket LGA775 CPU Cooler that about covers it...hope to hear from ya soon. thanks
                            I can understand you wanting to get more from your memory ie the advertised speed, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

I assume you realise now, that to get anything higher than 1333Mhz with your DDR ram, you do need to overclock your board, are you happy to do that?

You could if you wish, increase everything in a linear way, so not only do you increase your RAM speed, but you increase your 8400's speed too.

Alternatively you can increase you ram speed by overclocking the system, but reduce the CPU multiplier, so as to keep it close to it's 3Ghz rating.

Either which way, you will have to overclock to get the ram running any faster.

What is it you really want to do?

Comment

VorLonUK...what i would like to do is for you to PLEASE help me do whatever i need to...so i could get everything running at the spped its intended to...id be very grateful if you could go in order of what i need to change exactly..and if it helps...i could go into bios and write down every bit of info that its set at right now...as so there would be no confusion on my part...i would like to understand how and why i set things to certain specs so that maybe one day i could help out someone in need of assistance as well. like you are trying to do for me. that is what i would like to do. knowledge is power and im just trying to learn..thats all.

Comment

Working...
                              X