Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GV-NX96T512HP Texture Corruptions

Hello everyone,
    I have a Gigabyte GV-NX96T512HP [rev 2.0] (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT) graphics card.
    Whenever I am playing a game (any game), after 10 seconds to 1 hour or later, this is what happens on my screen:

The textures corrupt:
    This usually happens in games that use DirectX. I have not seen anything like this happen in games that use OpenGL before.
    Occasionally, this problem can happen instantly without any screen freezes, but frequently; the screen freezes for about 5 seconds or longer. Then, the textures load on the wrong objects; simply, the textures corrupt.
    This problem can be temporarily fixed by pressing the [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DELETE] keys or the [START] key on my keyboard to take me onto my desktop (It may take my desktop a few seconds to unfreeze and become interactive), I then go back into the game I am currently playing; it may take some time for the game to reappear. The textures should now appear on the correct objects, but these corruptions may happen again. They can happen more than once; if the textures in a game are already corrupted, the screen may flash or freeze for a short period of time and different textures appear. This can happen many times in a row. Every time after this problem happens, whenever I quit a game or exit a full screen program, my computer's performance decreases. The only way to get my computer to run with regular performance after the occurrence of these corruptions in games is to restart it.

Noise-like pixellation artefacts appear:
    This problem happens in games that use DirectX too, but more often in games that use OpenGL (Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006 for example; which can use either DirectX or OpenGL).
    What happens is that the screen freezes for about 5 seconds or longer (sometimes it does not). Then I see these artefacts all over my screen. These artefacts behave in a very similar manner to that of noise on a television screen. They will build up on my monitor to a certain point where most of them disappear then rebuild on the screen again, which happens repeatedly.
    This can be fixed temporarily by restarting my computer safely, because simply minimizing or quitting the game will just not work.

Both of these problems can happen collaboratively until my computer itself freezes up to a point that it is impossible to go back to the desktop, terminate the game, log off/switch users, safely shut down or restart my computer. The only way out of this problem is to press the Reset switch on the front of my computer to re-boot into Windows.
    These problems can also happen up to a point where I get a BSoD.

I am not sure about how I am going to fix these problems permanently without replacing the graphics card itself.
    However, here is what I have done to try and fix/diagnose these problems. So far, these solutions have had no permanent effect on my graphics card:

Changing the graphics card's clock settings:
    This solution almost worked, but did not work permanently.
    In NVIDIA nTune, I changed the GPU clock from 450 MHz to 720 MHz and the Memory clock from 750 MHz to 1008 MHz.
    I have also tried other clock settings, but these problems still kept happening.

Using an older graphics card:Re-installing NVIDIA GeForce drivers:
    This solution did not really seem to do anything.

Changing the PCI Express bus clock speed:
    This solution did not work either.

Using a lower screen resolution:

Plugging my monitor into the second DVI port (marked with a blue colour):
    I initially thought that this solution worked; but really, it did not.

Uncovering the NVIDIA SLI contacts on the graphics card:

Using only one RAM module:

Using a more powerful Power Supply:
    I used to use a 400 Watt PSU.
    I changed it for a 500 Watt one, but doing this didn't make any difference.

Playing a newer, very recent game with this card:
    These problems still happen.

Testing this card in a different computer or in a computer with a different chipset or motherboard:
    Successfully, There were no texture corruptions or noise-like pixellation artefacts in 3DMark06, even with my DDR2 SDRAM modules in a different system.
    I think it seems like my motherboard may have something to do with these problems.

I even wrote a letter to Gigabyte about this:
    Hello there,

Whenever I am playing games (many games), the textures corrupt after a few minutes of gameplay, and less frequently, a noise-like heavy pixellation occurs (See attached screen capture).
    I have had this card for at least 3 months now, and it has been happening with varying severity over that period.

The games I play are:
    - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    - DRIV3R
    - Microsoft Train Simulator
    - Microsoft Flight Simulator X

All other applications in Windows XP are fine, it is only the games that have this problem.
    This card passes all DirectX tests. Both versions 9.0c and 10.0 have the same problem.
    I also provided information from my NVIDIA Control Panel, which may be useful (Attached screenshots).

What should I do to correct this problem?
    Here is their reply:
    Originally posted by Gigabyte
    Dear Stefan,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, please try the following steps:

(1) Please confirm there is no insufficient power or overheat problem with your system and VGA card.
    (2) Add more system fan and try again later
    (3) Please update your VGA card driver and the games to the latest official version.
    (4) If possible, please try to test your VGA card and the games in another system to see if there's a hardware problem.

If the problem still occurs, a further testing or examination to your system might be required. We suggest you to contact your supplier or nearest dealer and see if they help you to test your system directly.

If your supplier cannot help you, please contact with local distributor for further assistance. For their information, please kindly visit our website by following link: CLICK HERE.

At last, if you still have any further question to this issue or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. If you have any issue different from original, make sure you issue a new form in order to get proper assistance and it may be response faster as well. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
    GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
    Does anyone know what else (anything else other than what I have mentioned) might be causing these problems?
    Are there any other solutions to this problem that I have not thought of yet?
    I would appreciate all of your help. Thank you.

Re: Gigabyte GV-NX96T512HP Texture Corruptions

I've read through your problem a couple of times and see no mention of cooling or the case you are useing. Is it possible that the 9600GT is getting too hot? Have you tried a more aggressive cooling solution to your case such as addiutional fans? Have you looked at the card temperature?

Edit: Just looked at the numbers you claim to have overclocked the graphics card to. I haven't used a 9600GT but the overclock you describe seems very excessive to me. Overclocking an already unstable card is a risky game .... going as high as you claim could very well finish the thing off.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 12-28-2008, 01:22 PM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
      I've read through your problem a couple of times and see no mention of cooling or the case you are useing. Is it possible that the 9600GT is getting too hot? Have you tried a more aggressive cooling solution to your case such as addiutional fans? Have you looked at the card temperature?
      Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
      Edit: Just looked at the numbers you claim to have overclocked the graphics card to. I haven't used a 9600GT but the overclock you describe seems very excessive to me. Overclocking an already unstable card is a risky game .... going as high as you claim could very well finish the thing off.
      Actually, the default clock settings for ths graphics card are 720 MHz for the GPU's Core and 1008 MHz for the Memory. It's just that NVIDIA nTune underclocks the card to 450 MHz for the GPU's core and 750 MHz for the Memory for some reason, I'm not sure why though.
      This graphics card is an overclocked version by the way.

Comment

Hello,

I have this same exact problem.

The only thing in common with our setup is the graphics card, GV-NX96T512HP, and CPU (though mine is an Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3.00GHz.) Motherboard is an Asus P5Q..

Also, I've tried most of the same tricks to fix this problem. Very impressive, your thoroughness there. :)

The weird thing is that I'm sure everything worked fine for a while (maybe a month or so) and after that, started to corrupt textures in every post-year-2000-3d-game I've tried. I almost blamed Bioshock untill I realized it wasn't the only game turning freaky on me.

The best result I've had so far is with the NVIDIA nTune software by decreasing the memory and core speed. (Doing the opposite opposite of what you tried. My system had GPU at 720 MHz and Memory at 1008 MHz by default.. I think. nTune and the NVIDIA control panel are some damn confusing and un-user friedly software right there.) This only seems to work half the time though. And it visibly slows some games down.

Anyway.. I'd almost given up on this, but just had to post a reply since you're the first one I've found with the same problem.

Comment

Test this further. It's 99.9999% certain that texture corruption has nothing to do with your motherboard.

If you're decreasing GPU and VRAM clocks, and it's helping it's obviously either driver problems, heat, not enough power or a failing card.

Download the latest drivers direct from Nvidia. Do this before trying anything else. Test and see if it's helped.

Check the GPU temperature with GPU-Z: GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Up to about 35-45c idle, 70-75c load may be normal, much more above indicates a problem. If it's getting too hot, try tightening the screws on the back of the card that hold the heatsink on. Also try increasing the fan speed.

Check that the PCI-e cable is firmly seated. If possible test using another PSU.

If all fails (including trying a new PSU, this is important) it may be time for an RMA of the card.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
          X