New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

Hi guys, first post and hope you might be able to shed some light on the situation. I haven't built a PC since I was a kid (386SX!!) and perhaps have lost some of my old trouble shooting skills so any input is appreciated:)

My setup consists of:

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L MB
    Intel E7200 CPU
    Seagate 250GB SATA 3.0 HDD
    4GB OCZ DDR2/800mhz RAM
    EVGA 9500GT 512MB video card
    Cooler Master case
    Working keyboard, monitor and mouse

I bought a copy of XP Home Edition OEM from Newegg and tried to install it on the new desktop last night. Everything ran fine from the start, BIOS detected the CD and HDD and the 'Windows Setup' Blue screen pops up.

It says to press F6 at the bottom for installing 3rd party drivers (no response from that) and displays 'Setup is loading files' which it does for a couple of minutes.

Next it says 'Setup is starting Windows' and 'Welcome to Setup' displays with the options: To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER, repair using Recovery Console and to Quit
    Just for your information, F3 has no response but pressing Enter allows me to continue to the Licensing Agreement. This is where I can go no further.
    Pressing F8 ('I Agree') gets no response though I can PgUp/Dn and Esc, which reboots the system w/the OS uninstalled.

Action I've taken so far:
    I've removed and swapped in one stick of 2GB RAM, removed the video card and cleared CMOS with no difference in results. Still gets to the Licensing Agreement and won't let me proceed.

BIOS settings: 'Integrated Peripherals'
    On-Chip Primary PCI IDE Enabled
    On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE Enabled
    On-Chip SATA Mode Auto
    x PATA IDE Set to Disabled (blue font, can't change)
    SATA Port 0/2 Set to Ch.0 Master/Slave
    SATA Port 1/3 Set to Ch.1 Master/Slave

Does this seem like a Hardware or BIOS issue possibly? I realize it's not easy to diagnose like this but any help is great!

Jeremy
    Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
    OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
    CoolerMaster Centurion case
    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Re: New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

I think before you do anything else, you should run a scan with Memtest v2.11 as it very well could be memory related, as things are locking up before you can properly install an OS.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Burn ISO image to blank CDR.

Most likely though you'll need to alter some of the memory settings. By quickly checking with Memtest will help you rule out that it isn't some other issue.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi, I downloaded the Pre Compiled Bootable ISO in .zip form. I unzipped it, and burned the .iso file using NERO and booted the computer back up.

Not sure if I did this right because it brought me to a [DR-DOS] A:\ prompt.

Next?:)

BTW, the specs of the memory is [email protected] SLI ready
      Bought these on the recommendations of ones who used this MB/RAM combo a number of times w/o a hitch, even though this RAM (no 2gb at all) isn't on Gig's memory support page...

Jeremy
      Last edited by aggiefan; 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM.
      EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
      OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Hi, I downloaded the Pre Compiled Bootable ISO in .zip form. I unzipped it, and burned the .iso file using NERO and booted the computer back up.

Not sure if I did this right because it brought me to a [DR-DOS] A:\ prompt.

Not sure how you got to an A:\ prompt

With Nero you need to use the "Burn Image" option rather than make a data disc etc. Then that disc will be self booting and will launch Memtest automatically.
        You also need to make sure that your Cd/DVD drive is set to boot before your HD.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Ah thanks, I was going too fast and not paying attention...

I'm a noob w/these more advanced Motherboards and settings but I noticed something that may be of note.

As stated, the OCZ memory specs are [email protected]
          I opened MIT in BIOS and it shows the following:

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPDP) is set to AUTO
          CAS Latency Time 6
          DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 6
          DRAM RAS# to Precharge 6
          Precharge delay(tRAS) 18

At this point I know little about these settings but shouldn't some of these match what's on the memory sticks?

EDIT: Just to let you know, the memory test is indeed running now:)
          Last edited by aggiefan; 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM.
          EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
          OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Originally posted by aggiefan View Post
            Ah thanks, I was going too fast and not paying attention...

I'm a noob w/these more advanced Motherboards and settings but I noticed something that may be of note.

As stated, the OCZ memory specs are [email protected]
            I opened MIT in BIOS and it shows the following:

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPDP) is set to AUTO
            CAS Latency Time 6
            DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 6
            DRAM RAS# to Precharge 6
            Precharge delay(tRAS) 18

At this point I know little about these settings but shouldn't some of these match what's on the memory sticks?

EDIT: Just to let you know, the memory test is indeed running now:)
            When in "Auto" the board takes a cue from the SPD data, that is data programmed by the manufacturer of the modules (and stored on them), as to how the modules should be setup under different speeds etc.

Usually this is done on almost a sliding linear scale. In general as you increase the Speed of the Ram, you have to Relax the memory timings.

What OCZ and other manufacturers do, is take memory that is say tested in an "Excellent" board and push it to see how well it performs over and above it's general specification (ie the specification of the actual RAM chips themselves).
            So what they program in the SPD area will no doubt be different to what the memory may be able to do ie it's advertised specification. The SPD data is usually quite relaxed so in order for the board to bootup from the outset. It would be no good setting the SPD data to aggressive memory timings if you were using an el cheapo board - it may just never boot!

So the Timings and Voltage that are printed on the module stickers, usually mean that this Ram works at X timings and upto no more than Y voltage. But the main caveat to that is that it won't work like that in every board, revision, bios version etc. It's whats possible under the right conditions, but not neccessarily a sure thing with any particular setup.

So leave it on Auto for the minute and see how memtest does.

Comment

I understand, oh well....On Pass 3 and no errors so far....
              EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
              OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

In your first post you say "working keyboard, monitor, and mouse" but I would be tempted to try another keyboard anyway .... just in case. If you are useing a keyboard with PSII connection you may want to try one with a USB connection. The problem , to me, sounds input related rather than an issue with the install itself. ...Of course I,ve been wrong several thousand times b4....
                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Thanks, and I must say that did cross my mind before. This was an updated keyboard that was sent to me by emachines when a bad MB killed the original.

This has the round keyboard plug and a USB plug as well, both plugged in.
                  Even though I considered the possibility, I dismissed it hoping that if some of the function (and other)keys worked, the keyboard was fine...

I'll see if I can borrow another or pick up a new one....
                  EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                  OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Did you try the keyboard with only the Round (PS/2) connection, without the USB adapter on it? And you did plug it into the correct PS/2 slot right?

Funny that PgUp would work but nothing else. You do have a floppy disk drive installed correct, and not a USB Floppy either. Is this XP install disk SP1 or greater? If not it will have to be for a PCI-E system

Comment

I don't believe you should need both PSII and USB plugged in. One or the other should suffice. That said .... you could try again with only one or the other plug connected (and then try in other plug) but might be best to just try different keyboard altogether to eliminate it from the equation totaly.
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

This is a brand new OEM XP Home Edition SP3 from Newegg....

re certain keys not working, this was during the Windows setup...I could use Esc, Enter and arrow keys (no chance to use full keyboard w/no OS yet) but simply received no response w/the F3 and F6 keys during the install.

BTW, that reminded me...this keyboard (Elements brand) sent to me from emachines did come w/a driver support disk so perhaps without specific drivers, the keyboard is hit and miss....?

The keyboard is plugged in correctly and in the proper location, but I can try it w/o the USB plug connected.

I am not using a floppy drive, only the devices in the first thread, which is only a DVD drive and SATA HDD, if that helps.

Memory is still looking good w/nearly 7 passes and no errors so at least I shouldn't have to worry about RMA'ing the memory. I hate returns

I'm going to let if finish the 10 runs that is recommended per this forum and then check the keyboard.

Thanks for the support...I'm not giving up....
                        Last edited by aggiefan; 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM.
                        EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                        OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Yes, please try it using only the PS/2 connection as sometimes USB Keyboards wont work in the BIOS, or in windows without the drive as you mentioned

Well, no floppy is why F6 is not working for you. F6 Drivers can ONLY be loaded from a floppy. So you will need to dig one up or borrow or buy one if you need to load a F6 Driver

Comment

Gotcha...didn't realize that. It should be possible to install XP Home Edition SP3 without a floppy drive if BIOS recognizes the SATA HDD properly though?

I've done XP repairs,etc for friends in the past and installs on existing setups but never had any trouble.
                            EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                            OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

YA, it should as long as you are do not have AHCI or RAID set in the BIOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X