Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer Keeps Shutting Down

Hi,
    This is my first time posting on a forum for computers and yesterday was my first day building my own computer, so I am sorry for my lack of knowledge in certain areas. But here is my problem, my computer turned on the first time and seemed to be working fine, all fans were running and images appeared on my monitor. After about a minute it then just shut off. I then unplugged the power supply and rechecked all of my connections. When I turned it on again it ran for a longer period of time allowing me to start installing my OS. After copying the files and the installing of the program began, it shut down again. After that I could not get it to run past trying to do the install again. At this point I shut everything down, removed the memory and the video card and all of my power connections and cables. After reinstalling everything, I continued to have the same result. It would sometimes let me sit in BIOS without shutting off, but sometimes it would continue to do so. While in BIOS one time, I checked in the "PC Health" section and noticed that I was getting alarmingly high cpu temp. readings of 95-105c. So I immediately shut everything down and removed my cpu heatsink and fan to see if it was seated properly and that it was making contact with the cpu. I saw that the thermal grease had melted and spread on both the cpu and heatsink, so I think it should have been making contact. I reinstalled it and tried again to only have the same result. After giving up for the night, I just started up the system again for the first time today and checked the temps right away, the system itself sits at about 30c, but the cpu started at about 60c and immediately began to rise to the 90s while sitting idle in BIOS. I don't know what to do anymore and would really appreciate any help or guidance anyone could give.

Here is my system:
    Intel q6600 GO
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3r motherboard
    bfg nvidia 8800gts vid
    2x2gb crucial ballistix ddr2 800 mem
    750w coolermaster psu
    400gb 7200rpm sata Hitachi hard drive

Thank you for your time and help,
    Robb

Re: New Computer Keeps Shutting Down

im an idiot and intels stock heatsink took advantage of that fact. After reinstalling the heatsink for the 5th time, I guess I finally got it right. Temps are holding fine now. Sorry to waste your time, hopefully everything else will go smoothly now, thanks all.

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. Did you clean off the heatsink goop and reapply each time or are you getting away with the original compound?
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Glad you got it working. And don't feel bad, those Intel heatsinks are the devil's spawn. I refuse to use them as-is. If you want peace of mind, either get an aftermarket cooler that has a backplate, or for 5 bucks just get this backplate LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit with Screws & Springs. Remove the pins from the Intel cooler and use the backplate and screws. Works great, will never come loose, and doesn't bend the motherboard.
        Last edited by flyfisher; 01-20-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

So what were you doing wrong?
          Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
          Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
          Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
          Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
          Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
          G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
          2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
          Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
          2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
          Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
          Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
          ------------------------------------------------
          Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
          ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
          Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
          Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
          Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
          NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
          1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
          Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
          Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X