Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking

Hi
    I need some advice on the best memory for overclocking i have a ga-ep45-ud3p and q9550 and want to overclock to 3.8 or higher
    I have had a look at 2x2GB G.Skill TT PI DDR2 PC2-8500 (1066MHz and the OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Reaper Memory which won or if anyone else can advise on other memory would be best
    Thanks in advance help is very much appreciated

Re: Overclocking

I'll try to give you some insights in a few words.
    As far as overclocking is concerned, there are 3 things you MUST consider:
    1st - The PSU. In order to get nice results you'll most certainly need to pump the vcore up and you must have a good PSU that delivers what it says.
    2nd - The cooling system. As you pump the voltages up, the temperatures will rise. Good cooling is a must. Both CPU and RAM!
    3rd - The RAM. High-end memory sticks that can take high frequencies and voltages. You should also, think about the memory times. Higher values are more stable (ie 9-9-9-25 is stable than 7-7-7-20 under overclocking).
    Having said this, take the following in mind: The CPU has a frequency and has a multiplier. Has higher the frequency and as lower the multiplier, the better. That's why you need good RAM that can take the higher CPU frequencies.
    Also, it's safer to increase the CPU frequency in small 10Mhz steps.
    Next, you must test the system stability. Applications like Prime95 will do.
    Finally, overclocking is a very complex process with several variables that need to work stable together. Finding that balance is the hardest and you need to be patient. If you are in a hurry, you better stay with the ready-to-use configurations the mobo BIOS offers you.

Ok. That's it. Good luck.

Johnny
    System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
    Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
    Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

Comment

THanks for the advice johnny rook much appreciated

Comment

Go for the G skill
        New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Working...
        X