Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overclock GA-EP45-UD3P e8500

Originally posted by hy_tek View Post
    I understand the system multiplier and numerically how it works. But I don't get the A,B,C,D designation. Can you explain which one to pick? For instance you selected 3.20B...why the B? I am not real familiar with this bios yet since I came from an Asus system so bear with me please. I am getting it slowly...

What is the max speed you would push this processor with OEM Intel cooler? my case is running about 40C core temps right now with 3-80mm case fans and the intel cooler.

You want to choose a strap/multi based on your FSB. Of course a lower then FSB Strap/multi choice is better, but is not always stable or easy to get stable. I suggested a B multi based on your 333 FSB

Here are the Straps/Multi's for P35/45 >>>

And do keep in mind, based on All other settings/voltages tRD to low for higher Straps will not boot, a general rule I often say you will see in my templates is this >>>

tRD (Static tRead Value)
    6/7-10 333/B MCH ~ 8/9-12 400/D MCH

Comment

I hope you don't mind me mooching off of your thread, but I have a question involving your same setup. I also have an E8500 on the GA-EP45-UD3P with 4 GB (2x2 GB) Corsair DDR2-1066 MHz RAM. However, the motherboard recognized the E8500 as only having an 8.5x multiplier. Any ideas why that might be?

I could change the multiplier to 9.5x in the BIOS, but I feel that I shouldn't have to "overclock" my CPU just to get it to stock speeds!!!

I would REALLY appreciate some insight to this issue as I'm very nervous that I have a bad CPU. Thanks in advance!

Comment

I don't think you would be "overclocking" your CPU if you change your CPU multiplier to 9.5. As long as your CPU Frequency is what your CPU should be, which in your case is 3.16 GHz, then you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSpadesSI View Post
          I hope you don't mind me mooching off of your thread, but I have a question involving your same setup. I also have an E8500 on the GA-EP45-UD3P with 4 GB (2x2 GB) Corsair DDR2-1066 MHz RAM. However, the motherboard recognized the E8500 as only having an 8.5x multiplier. Any ideas why that might be?

I could change the multiplier to 9.5x in the BIOS, but I feel that I shouldn't have to "overclock" my CPU just to get it to stock speeds!!!

I would REALLY appreciate some insight to this issue as I'm very nervous that I have a bad CPU. Thanks in advance!
          I hate to state the obvious once again but if your mobo is showing a multiplier of 8.5 instead of the 9.5 it should show, perhaps you have Speed Step enabled? I noticed a similar problem on mine when Speed Step was ramping down the multiplier at idle or low use times. You may or may not be familiar with this but many people such as myself were not. If you are then please disregard this comment....

Comment

Shouldn't the motherboard be displaying the stock multiplier - not whatever it should be after Speed Step? What would cause it to only display 8.5x (and by the way, the E8500 should be 9.5x - not 9.0x as stated above by somebody)?

CPU-Z showed my multiplier is only 6.0x at idle (normal with the energy-saving feature) but only 8.5x at 100% load (tested 100% load both with Prime95 and running Crysis at max settings). This should be 9.5x.

My question is, then, what would make the motherboard only see 8.5x? Don't motherboards auto-detect the stock multiplier for all supported CPUs? The E8500 has been supported by the GA-EP45-UD3P since the initial release.

Comment

Shouldn't the motherboard be displaying the stock multiplier - not whatever it should be after Speed Step? What would cause it to only display 8.5x (and by the way, the E8500 should be 9.5x - not 9.0x as stated above by somebody)?

CPU-Z showed my multiplier is only 6.0x at idle (normal with the energy-saving feature) but only 8.5x at 100% load (tested 100% load both with Prime95 and running Crysis at max settings). This should be 9.5x.

My question is, then, what would make the motherboard only see 8.5x? Don't motherboards auto-detect the stock multiplier for all supported CPUs? The E8500 has been supported by the GA-EP45-UD3P since the initial release.
              Sounds to me like you got a CPU that was coded with a bad multiplier. I would RMA it and get another if it was me. Doesn't sound like a mobo problem rather a CPU problem. If you can swap the CPU with another and check the multiplier I would suggest that. If you don't have a spare available I would say RMA it. Just my opinion. Originally you did not state by what method you were reading the multiplier. That is why I asked about Speed Step. But now I see that you were referring to the coded multiplier not the actual "running" multiplier.

They were referring to the E8400 with a multiplier of 9.0 not the E8500.
              Last edited by hy_tek; 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Is that anyone else's consensus? Should I RMA the CPU or is that not the answer? Please let me know ASAP since Newegg's return policy is quite short for CPUs!!!

Comment

My e8500 also showed up with a 8 multi as well (the .5 was also enabled). I manually set it to 9. I don't know why it "auto" read it as 8, i have used the CPU in other mobo's and it came up as 9.5 in them.
                  Xeon W3680 @ 4.5 24/7
                  Gigabyte X58A-UD7 rev2
                  EK Supreme HF gold P1
                  factory NB waterblock
                  chilled water
                  3x Super Talent 2000c7
                  2x Sapphire Atomic 4890
                  3x 40GB Raid0 OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD
                  2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT sata3
                  1x 1TB Hitachi Ultrastar
                  Ultra X3 1KW
                  Antec 1200
                  Win7 x64 Ultra

Comment

Is that anyone else's consensus? Should I RMA the CPU or is that not the answer? Please let me know ASAP since Newegg's return policy is quite short for CPUs!!!
                    Try running Optimize Default Settings in the BIOS and see what it changes the CPU ratio to.
                    Last edited by acarcia81; 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM. Reason: player -> cpu ratio

Comment

My first post here just setup this upgrade.
                      Been tweakin and testin hopeing to get some pointers.
                      At current settings ran OCCT for ten minutes no problems.
                      Also ran 3 cycles of 3d Mark 06 and One of Vantage no problems.
                      Would like to go higher maybe 4.5GHz but not sure with setup.
                      All Config info in text file. Also HDD set to AHCI incase forgot to put in.

thanks in advance.

Comment

8400/8500 may be picked up that way, or any CPU for that matter, if you do not load optimized defaults after you flash the BIOS or after you first install the CPU.

This is a MUST! Then the CPU will be picked up correctly

Comment

Working...
                        X