• UD5 continuous reboot

Current Setup:
    Core i7 920 at stock settings
    Patriot 1600 8-8-8-24 1.65v 2gb x 3 kit
    EVGA Superclocked GTX260
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    PCP&C 750w psu

Problem:
    First I installed everything on board, memory at 1, 3, 5 slots (white ones), and find out the system reboots itself frequently that I can't even finish vista installation.

Then, I removed two of the memory sticks, using only one stick at slot 1. Two of the three sticks, while used alone, still give the rebooting problem, no matter which speed, timing, xmp profile. The one stick that doesn't reboot, can only run stable at 1333 or lower, or the system will freeze (no reboot).

I tried running 3DMark vintage, and the cpu ai test give me bsod once, and now it doesn't finish, pops up a window says an invalid parameter is passed. I'm also running memtest, which is 121.3% coverage, 0 errors for now. I'll keep it running.

Please could someone tell me which hardware or bios setting (voltages, etc) is likely to be causing this problem.

----
    so i just read a post of similar issue (with ocz1333 though), who found out it's the memory that is the problem.
    I'm just thinking about the odds I get three defective rams in a kit..
    Last edited by zillac; 02-14-2009, 07:11 AM.

Re: UD5 continuous reboot

Have you increased the RAM voltage to 1.65V per the sepcifications of the RAM?

The RAM must not be defetive, it may just be incompatible with your board. RAM incompatibility is pretty common.

Comment

Yes I did, only the ram voltage to 1.65. (although i believe xmp profile automaticlly does that, I did set it manually.)
      Nothing changes.

Gigabyte has the patriot 1600 9-9-9-24 listed, but not this one. I'll also mail patriot, and see what they say.

--------
      and 3dmark vantage problem seems non related since other people run into the same problem.
      Last edited by zillac; 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Try disabling X.M.P. and running the memory at 1333 with relaxed timings. If that works we can rule out that the RAM itself is incompatible witzh the board.
        Run Prime 95 to test stability.

Comment

So, I've got three memory sticks in the kit.

Using only one stick on MB (at slot 1, the white slot near CPU):
          Two of the sticks, will not run at any settings (lowered speed, lowered timing, and spec voltage, or everything spec set manually, or X.M.P.) . System reboots at around every five minutes, more or less, therefore I can't even try prime95.
          The last one, will run at lowered speed, lowered voltage (1.5, spec is 1.65) and realistic timing (faster speed at lower frequency, for instance 7-7-7-20 at 1066), but will not run at 1600 manually, or X.M.P. at spec voltage and timing, otherwise system will freeze upon entering operating system or reboot itself before that.

when using more than one memory sticks, there's again the restart problem, at any settings.

I'm running prim 95 now, using the working one stick of ram, at 1333 and 8-8-8-24 spec voltage, cpu has turbo enabled at 2.83Ghz, so far it has been stable. (20 minutes)

Thank you for your help.
          Last edited by zillac; 02-14-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

So you're saying one of the RAM sticks doesn't work at all while the others down't work as well as they should when only one stick is used?

The two working sticks are fully stable in Prime 95 for 1.5+ hours?

And you cannot use two together even the two that are stable by themselves?

Just need to make sure I fully understand what you're saying.

Comment

no, one of the ram sticks doesn't work as well as it should when only one stick is used.
              The other two doesn't work at all when only one stick is used (tried separately in two times).

and pairing any two or three of them do not work at all.

Using the only working stick, Prime95 is stable, and is still running. (1hr)
              Last edited by zillac; 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

If two of the three don't work at all then something is very wrong with your RAM. It can't be incompatability though, since one is running as you say.

Contact your RAM manufacturer to return the RAM. Luckily, most RAM manufacturers are pretty fast at replacing defective RAM kits.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I'll contact Patriot.

Out of curiosity, what is the likelihood of me having a faulty memory slot(s) on my mother boards, or psu, or etc, instead of a bunch (three) of bad ram sticks? and way to test?
                  Last edited by zillac; 02-16-2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X