No announcement yet.

GA-EP35C-DS3R(Rev 2.1) RAID problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35C-DS3R(Rev 2.1) RAID problems...

Hello, i connected all my hardisks and dvd-rom on intel sata ports. Then i tried to make a volume of 150 GB, with stripe=64KB in raid0 and a volume in RAID1 with the rest of space on my two Western Digital RE3 320 GB hardisk. All was Ok, so i installed Windows Vista SP1 64 bit, in the RAID0 Volume, using a floppy with the last Intel raid drivers. After this, the system was ok, but now, when i turn on my pc for the first time, the raid can't start, because the two RE3 are reported as "OFFLINE MEMBERS" from Intel controller!!! The hardisks seem off, and the only way to turn they on is to start Kubuntu 8.10(installed(with grub) on another hardisk, a 500 GB Hitachi, regulary on) that seems to turn they on when it checks devices state. In fact, only after i reboot system, from Linux, the hardisk(wd only, the hitachi is always on) are finally on and Intel's controller can starts the raid again! So, is there any setting or bios update to force hardisk detect, when i turn on(first/cold boot) my pc, without entering in Linux?

My system's specs.:

Model Name : GA-EP35C-DS3R(rev. 2.1)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 2.1
    BIOS Ver : F3
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : 8800 GTX
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : Q6600 Speed : 3200 MHz
    Operation System : Vista 64-bit SP : 1
    Memory Brand : 4x1GB - Vdata Type : DDRII
    Memory Size : 4096 MB Speed : 800 Mhz
    Power Supply : Enermax Liberty 625 W

DVD-RW: Asus Sata 20X
    HD: 1xHitachi 500 GB, 2xWD RE3 320GB
    Liquid pump Laing DCC 350
    6 X 12V fun
    Zalman MFC1 Rheobus
    USB Card reader
    8800 GTX isn't overclocked, Q6600 is at 8x400MHz at 1.35 Vcore, RAM are at default: 800 MHz a 5-5-5-18 <script language="javascript"> function LinkToQuest() { var frm_ip="87.3.219.30"; var frm_mailid = "714072"; var frm_group = "2"; var frm_country = escape("Italy"); var frm_email = "[email protected]"; var frm_name = escape("Marco"); var str_URL = "http://e-service.gigabyte.com.tw/service/quest/show.aspx?type=allcontent&sn=53&lang=&frm_ip="+frm _ip+"&frm_mailid="+frm_mailid+"&frm_group="+frm_gr oup+"&frm_country="+frm_country+"&frm_email="+frm_ email+"&frm_name="+frm_name; // location.href = str_URL; window.open(str_URL, "", "width=760,resizable=1,scrollbars=1"); } </script>

Re: GA-EP35C-DS3R(Rev 2.1) RAID problems...

What BIOS settings do you have set? This is what you should set for Intel Raid >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. RAID
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

You may need to reinstall it all, sounds like something has corrupted the array to me

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      What BIOS settings do you have set? This is what you should set for Intel Raid >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. RAID
      SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

You may need to reinstall it all, sounds like something has corrupted the array to me
      I already have this settings(i have ICH9R, no ICH10R...) and i connected all devices on Intel Sata ports.
      I sure that it isn't an array problem, because when i reboot from Linux the raid0 works perfectly and doesn't report any problem.
      Intel Matrix Storage software doesn't report any hardware/logic error too....
      The only problem is the cold boot, because when i turn on my pc the hardisk are off and sometimes i had the same situation with my hitachi, when i did'nt the raid....

Comment

Are you overclocking? If so, do you have PCI-E Freq set at 100 manually in the BIOS? Either way, you should manually set it to 100 just to be sure.

You could always test adding these voltages to see if it helps any >>>
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]

It could just be a issue with your drives and that board? But I am not sure since it works on in Linux for you that is likely not the issue. So cold boot to linux is ok right?

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset drivers installed? Have you tried disabling "Legacy USB Storage Detect" in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page?

There is a Beta BIOS out for your board, have you tried it? Just wondering

Comment

Are you overclocking? If so, do you have PCI-E Freq set at 100 manually in the BIOS? Either way, you should manually set it to 100 just to be sure.

You could always test adding these voltages to see if it helps any >>>
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]

It could just be a issue with your drives and that board? But I am not sure since it works on in Linux for you that is likely not the issue. So cold boot to linux is ok right?

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset drivers installed? Have you tried disabling "Legacy USB Storage Detect" in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page?

There is a Beta BIOS out for your board, have you tried it? Just wondering
          Ok, first of all, many thanks for your support...
          PCI-EXP is set to 100(or 101 al least, i'm not sure...)

All voltages, are to normal, except vcore, that it's set to 1.35V(The system seems rock solid and passed 2-3 hours of prime95...)

I'm sure that it isn't a problem of the drivers with the mobo, because, fews months ago, when i had not the two wd RE3 yet, sometimes i had he same problem with an Hitachi of 500 GB: sometimes, when i did turn on my pc(cold boot) the Gigabyte controller can't see the Hitachi hardisk, but after a simply reset of the system the hardisk was on again....

Cold boot with Linux is ok, but Kubuntu is installed on another hardisk(hitachi) "outside" the raid. Now if I want to enter in Windows Vista(installed on Raid0) i MUST enter in Kubuntu and then, when i restart, finally Intel sata controller see the two WD RE3 hardisk and the raid works normally. So i think that the two hardisk are turn off, until the Linux device checks.

"Do you have the latest Intel Chipset drivers installed? Have you tried disabling "Legacy USB Storage Detect" in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page?" -> Yes i have the last chipset drivers, but i must try to disabling "Legacy USB Storage Detect"........

"There is a Beta BIOS out for your board, have you tried it? Just wondering"
          I contacted Gigabyte support and the give to me the same suggestion. But, on the site, there isn't any description of thye new features of the new bios and because this is a beta bios, i prefer to do a flash with a beta bios only as the last attempt. About this, if i flash the bios I lost my raid?

Comment

Well I would say try those voltage changes above and see if that has any effect or not. Then see if Legacy USB disabled helps (This MUST be re-enabled later if you wish to flash Via USB Stick with Qflash)

Many things are often fixed in Beta BIOS, and even final ones that are not shown as part of the changelog. But ya, Beta is Beta so I know what you mean.

No, you would not loose your RAID Array, but you MUST load optimized defaults and then save/apply/reboot after a BIOS update. And then GO BACK to the BIOS BEFORE you try to load windows, as you will HAVE TO set ALL your RAID Settings again, and reboot back to the BIOS and then move your array back to the top of the Boot Disk Priority list in the Advanced BIOS page. DO NOT LOAD WINDOWS Without setting these settings again or you WILL loose your array.

Here is some flashing Info if you are not sure about that >>>

But I would say to try the other things first and see if they help or not.

Do you have the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed?

If not, here is V. 8.7.0.1007 >>>

Comment

Well I would say try those voltage changes above and see if that has any effect or not. Then see if Legacy USB disabled helps (This MUST be re-enabled later if you wish to flash Via USB Stick with Qflash)

Many things are often fixed in Beta BIOS, and even final ones that are not shown as part of the changelog. But ya, Beta is Beta so I know what you mean.

No, you would not loose your RAID Array, but you MUST load optimized defaults and then save/apply/reboot after a BIOS update. And then GO BACK to the BIOS BEFORE you try to load windows, as you will HAVE TO set ALL your RAID Settings again, and reboot back to the BIOS and then move your array back to the top of the Boot Disk Priority list in the Advanced BIOS page. DO NOT LOAD WINDOWS Without setting these settings again or you WILL loose your array.

Here is some flashing Info if you are not sure about that >>>

But I would say to try the other things first and see if they help or not.

Do you have the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed?

If not, here is V. 8.7.0.1007 >>>
              Many thanks,
              i disabled Legacy USB, and already have the last Intel Matrix Storage(but the problem is before Windows loading...). I'll try a cold boot and if the situation doesn't change i'll changethe voltages too, as you indicated.

Comment

I tried to disable Legacy USB, to increase PCI-E, MCH, FSB voltages by 0.1V and to make some test with SATA Port0-3 Native Mode Enable/disable, but my situation doesn't change: the two hardisk wd RE3 seems turn off at cold boots, and the only way to turn they on is entering in Linux(installed on another hardisk Hitachi, outside any raid) and restart the system!!!!! It's only a problem of my mainboard?? I see on google that some other people had the same "Offline members" in raid maked with Gigabyte MB.......

Comment

It could be a issue with your board specifically as in that model or maybe just your board is faulty. Where these threads you read on google all with your board? I ask because TONS of things cause RAID failures (NON Member drives) and I just wanted to be sure you are not looking at other issues and thinking they are the same

Do you have any other drives (Different brand/model would be best) that you could setup a test array with just to see if it is your board or maybe these drives? That would be the easiest way to find out if you do have a faulty board, but without spare drives you would not be able to do that.

Comment

It could be a issue with your board specifically as in that model or maybe just your board is faulty. Where these threads you read on google all with your board? I ask because TONS of things cause RAID failures (NON Member drives) and I just wanted to be sure you are not looking at other issues and thinking they are the same
                    I'm not sicure, but i did found some topics about problems between Gygabyte DS3/DS3R(EP35 and P35) motherboards and "Offline member" raid issue..... But, anyone solved the problem....

Do you have any other drives (Different brand/model would be best) that you could setup a test array with just to see if it is your board or maybe these drives? That would be the easiest way to find out if you do have a faulty board, but without spare drives you would not be able to do that.
                    Unfortunately, i don't have any other hardisk to try another raid0/raid1; i only have got an hitachi 500 gb, with linux installed on....

Comment

Ahh well it is not likely the same issue you are having. Many users corrupt their RAID's or forget to re-enable them after a BIOS flash and that causes that, along with MANY other things.

I am not sure what you could do to fix this issue, other then test some other disks. I guess the easiest way to do that would be to buy 2 different brand, cheap small drives off ebay or somewhere and see how they react to RAID

Comment

I had the same problem. Updating the BIOS fixed it.

My system:
                        Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) motherboard, with two drives configured in a RAID 1 Mirror plugged into the ICH10R southbridge (this motherboard has a secondary Gigabyte RAID controller I never tried). The mirror volume is the only storage on the system. It contains the OS (Windows 7 RC 64-bit) and all data.

I could restart the machine over and over without any problems, but if I shutdown and did cold start, the RAID would fail with the same "OFFLINE MEMBER" messages you report.

I was consistently able to get back into Windows with the following workaround:
                        1) boot from a Ubuntu Live CD - I'm sure any distro will work
                        2) open GParted - this step somehow "wakes up" the HD-MB connection
                        3) warm-restart back into windows.
                        note: The RAID drives will appear separately in GParted. Ubuntu by default will not recognize Intel's FAKERAID. This is normal -- don't worry about it.

My GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard shipped with an F6 BIOS (dated 2009/01/13). Updating the BIOS to F9 (dated 2009/04/16) completely fixed the problem.

**Important**
                        Updating the BIOS will reset "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to its default "Disabled." On your first boot after updating the BIOS, remember to change this BIOS setting back to "RAID." I forgot this step and ended up breaking my mirror. No biggie for RAID 1, but I don't know what would happen to an array with striping.

Comment

Originally posted by dallastweakle View Post
                          I had the same problem. Updating the BIOS fixed it.

My system:
                          Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) motherboard, with two drives configured in a RAID 1 Mirror plugged into the ICH10R southbridge (this motherboard has a secondary Gigabyte RAID controller I never tried). The mirror volume is the only storage on the system. It contains the OS (Windows 7 RC 64-bit) and all data.

I could restart the machine over and over without any problems, but if I shutdown and did cold start, the RAID would fail with the same "OFFLINE MEMBER" messages you report.

I was consistently able to get back into Windows with the following workaround:
                          1) boot from a Ubuntu Live CD - I'm sure any distro will work
                          2) open GParted - this step somehow "wakes up" the HD-MB connection
                          3) warm-restart back into windows.
                          note: The RAID drives will appear separately in GParted. Ubuntu by default will not recognize Intel's FAKERAID. This is normal -- don't worry about it.

My GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard shipped with an F6 BIOS (dated 2009/01/13). Updating the BIOS to F9 (dated 2009/04/16) completely fixed the problem.

**Important**
                          Updating the BIOS will reset "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to its default "Disabled." On your first boot after updating the BIOS, remember to change this BIOS setting back to "RAID." I forgot this step and ended up breaking my mirror. No biggie for RAID 1, but I don't know what would happen to an array with striping.
                          Hello, i solved my problem few days ago.
                          First, i flashed my MB with last beta bios(F4) and nothing appened("OFFLINE Members" on cold boot). Then i choosed to remake the raid from zero and finally today all(raid0 and raid1) is ok.

But, now i have the opposite problem with Linux:
                          If I boot from Ubuntu 9.04(installed on another hd, out of any raid) and then i restart the pc, i have "OFFLINE members" problem until i turn off the pc and turn on it again...

Comment

Working...
                          X