Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-ud3r

hi,

I just recently got new CPU ram and mobo for my system. I got a E7400, 2gb OCZ SLI ready 1066 ram, and ep45-ud3r mobo. I got this hoping for the clock speeds that i see other people running wolfdale chips at. I wanted to get to 4ghz But can only get stable at 3.6ghz. No matter what try. But thats no the huge deal because 3.6ghz is still really good imo. So i ran occt for 1hr stable and prime95 for 20hrs no problem. So i assume it would be stable. But when i try to play any game (cod:waw gta 4 or battlefield 2142) i get Gfx issues. Textures disapear, and locks the game up but not the system vent still works and i cant ctrl alt delete out of the game. I have also after this started i put bios settings to oopitimized defaults with no luck.

After all day of trying to solve the issue. I think i might know what it is but cant find any info on it. The CPU power on this mobo is an eight pin. This i think is a problem because my PSU has two 12v rails and each 4pin power connecter it has are on seperate 12v rails. So what i am thinking is that now that my cpu/mobo is takeing up more power on the 12v rails that my gpu is not getting the juice it needs. Nvida says its suppost to have 26a on one 12v rail.

specs
    2 hds both 7200 rpm
    2 dvd burners
    E7400
    gigabyte ep45-ud3r
    2ghz OCZ SLI ready 1066
    8800gt
    freezer 7 pro cpu cooler
    PSU BFG power supply - 650 Watt Power Equipment reviews - CNET Reviews

I couldnt find a review site that shows what rails that the PSU has but it has two 12v rails at 20a each.

Thanks for any help in advance. I am not sure i am on the wrong or the right track. hehe
    Last edited by diwalton; 02-22-2009, 07:48 AM.
    955 c3 4.0ghz | Darknight CPU cooler | 790fx mobo | 4ghz Ripjaws 1600 | 5850 1ghz 1300ram | 550watt PSU | Windows 7 64bit |

Re: EP45-ud3r

Fill out one of the BIOS settings templates you see floating around in every other thread here please. We can't help you unless we've got some solid information.

Comment

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
      Robust Graphics Booster .................: [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ............................: [10.5x]
      CPU Frequency .............................: 3.5GHz [333 x 10.5]

Clock Chip Control
      Standard Clock Control
      CPU Host Clock Control......................: [enabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ................: [333]
      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .............: 100
      C.I.A.2 ..........................................: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
      CPU Clock Drive............................: [800mV]
      PCI Express Clock Drive..................: [900mV]
      CPU Clock Skew (ps).....................: [ 0 ps]
      MCH Clock Skew (ps).....................: [0 ps]

DRAM Performance Control
      Performance Enhance........................: [Standard]
      (G)MCH Frequency Latch....................: [auto]
      System Memory Multiplier ..................: [3.20b]
      Memory Frequency (Mhz) ...............: 1066
      DRAM Timing Selectable ..................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
      CAS Latency Time....................... [5]
      tRCD ........................................ [5]
      tRP'.......................................... [5]
      tRAS....................................... [15]

Advanced Timing Control
      tRRD................................... [7]
      tWTR................................... [Auto]
      tWR.................................... [Auto]
      tRFC................................... [Auto]
      tRTP................................... [Auto]
      Command Rate (CMD) ....................[Auto]

Driving Strength Profiles
      Driving Strength .........................[1066]

Channel A
      Static tRead Value..................... [Auto]
      tRD Phase0 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
      tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
      tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................. [Auto]
      tRD Phase3 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
      Trd2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
      Twr2wr(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
      Twr2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
      Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................. [Auto]
      Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
      Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
      DDR Write Training..................... [Auto]

Channel B
      Static tRead Value..................... [Auto]
      tRD Phase0 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
      tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
      tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................. [Auto]
      tRD Phase3 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
      Trd2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
      Twr2wr(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
      Twr2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
      Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................. [Auto]
      Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
      Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
      DDR Write Training.....................[Auto]

Motherboard Voltage Control
      Voltage Type Normal Current
      CPU Vcore........................ [1.350v]
      CPU Termination.................. [1.200]
      CPU PLL............................. 1.500V [1.500v]
      CPU Referen........................ 0.760V [Auto]

MCH/ICH
      MCH Core........................... 1.100V [1.20v]
      MCH Reference.................... 0.760V [Auto]
      MCH/DRAM Ref..................... 0.900V [Auto]
      ICH I/O........................... 1.500V [1.500v]
      ICH Core......................... 1.100V [1.100V]
      DRAM
      DRAM Voltage..................... 1.800V [2.100]
      DRAM Termination................. 0.900V [Auto]
      Channel A Reference ............. 0.900V [Auto]
      Channel B Reference ............. 0.900V [Auto]

This is what i have it at as of right now. But the clocks don't effect the way my GFX freeze up when gaming. I set everything to optimized defaults and games will still artifact within 1hr. the closest i have got to 4ghz was 9x 445fsb cpu vcore 1.40 volts CPU Termination volts up to 1.32 mch core at 1.30v i can get to windows loading screen but freezes when loading. I dont need an overclock tbh this cpu is alot faster then my old 6000+ x2. I just need my games to stop freezing once thats fixed i can try for higher clocks.

Is it just me or does anyone else think my PSU is to blame.
      Last edited by diwalton; 02-22-2009, 07:55 AM.
      955 c3 4.0ghz | Darknight CPU cooler | 790fx mobo | 4ghz Ripjaws 1600 | 5850 1ghz 1300ram | 550watt PSU | Windows 7 64bit |

Comment

update: Running at optimized defaults just change ram volts to 2.1 and timings to 5-5-5-15.

I have some videos of what it is doing and thought i would post them to see if anyone has any ideas.

eeekkk - Xfire Video

Xfire is your go-to resource for word puzzle enthusiasts, offering the best word lists, tips, and tools to help you solve games like Wordle, Connections, and Scrabble. Improve your skills and enjoy your favorite word puzzles with our in-depth guides, expert advice, and a passionate community of fellow players.

Comment

Update: Same settings as above but i switched the GFX card from my 8800gt to my roommates 8800gts. They are similar cards and run about the same. I get the same artifacts/textures as before. I have the side of the case open and card is only running 70c.

Comment

Please post me a image of this program running so I can see what some of those Auto's are giving you. They all look ok, meaning nothing to bad off, I just wanted to really check what tRD Auto is using >>>
            Tweakers.fr ~ Memset

This is 2x1GB right? If so you can and maybe should leave MCH Voltage to Auto

Yes, I agree kinda. 20A Rail is pretty weak (And keep in mind that is a MAX Rating, not normal), and if you only have 2 that really is bad as your whole system would only have 14 if that after your GFX card. Now I am not saying that PSU is to blame for sure, or that it is bad or not enough. Just commenting on the rails you mentioned

Can you test your buddies PSU in your system? I would assume since he has a similar card he may have a better PSU Right?

Comment

Unfortunately he doesn't have a better PSU. His PSU doesn't even have 8 pin CPU power. After i discovered this problem i have stopped all attempts to overclock currently MCH is on auto. And yes my ram is 2x 1gb. Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I have not ran memtest but if you think it may be an issue i guess i am going to go and download it and see if it comes back clean.

Comment

Lots of testing today!!! Found that it has to do something with the RAM. 1st I ran memtest86 it passed. Then i switched the my CPU with my roommates E8400 problem still there. After 20 mins of playing COD:WAW. Then to just make sure it wasnt the ram i switched it out for two sticks of old RAM 2x1ghz 667mhz ddr2 cheap ram. Ran the ram on auto volts and timmings and played over half the day no problem at all. So is my mobo just not liking the ram or should i leave the volts alone or is there a setting somewhere that is whack see above post for timings and volts.

I think unless someone thinks different I am just goting to get different RAM and RMA the RAM i do have. Is there any RAM that i should get i should prob spend a little more money then 30 bucks. Does gigabyte have a list of RAM that is known to work well with this mobo.

Thanks for your help i think i will be back here later when i get some stable RAM for tweaks on how to get a stable overclock above 3.6ghz.
                Last edited by diwalton; 02-24-2009, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diwalton View Post
                  Does gigabyte have a list of RAM that is known to work well with this mobo.

Comment

The simplest thing to try if you think its a system memory problem is to up the ram voltage?
                    On the screenie u posted it shows you set v2 at 2.1 yet your hw monitor is showing it goes to a minimum of 2.06.
                    I get voltage drop on my memory,I know its very overclocked but if the voltage i set in bios was actually what it received I wouldnt need to set it that high .
                    Your memory says 2.1 to 2.3 volts yeh?
                    Perhaps putting in 2.2 in bios would help.
                    Id like to run my components at the same speed at lower voltages,but I cant find any posts showing them doing that or settings in bios.
                    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Try setting static tRead value for channles A & B to 9 or 10. This is set pretty tight in your Memset screenshot and may be the problem (in Memset it's called Performance Level).

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys. I have used 2.2v and 2.3v before both settings still did the same. I have already RMA'ed the DIMMs and when i get my new ones if they do the same thing i will try your tRead value. Will update in a week or so when ever i get replacement ram. This is the 1st time i have had problems with a build. Looks like you cant just Return ram to newegg. I wish i would of spent my money on some higher Quality RAM to begin with.

Comment

You can return Ram to newegg, I have a few times. For replacement only though

Ya, tRD of 6 may be to low for that ram speed

If you have not already shipped out the ram please do some more testing with this set to 8-10 and see how you get along

Comment

Working...
                          X