GA-P35-DQ6 + E8500 Duo Core = Contant Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DQ6 + E8500 Duo Core = Contant Freezing

Well... I finally purchased a decent CPU, just to bang my head against the wall. According to GigaByte, I needed to update my bios to the latest (F9B) in order to support my E8500 (Stepping E0). The bios works fine, and has been very stable with my crappy P4 3.0 HyperThreading CPU. As soon I install the new CPU it constantly freezes. Usually at the bios splash screen. I can sometimes get into the bios setup, and even in windows, but it feezes very soon after. I tried using both the "Fail Safe" and "Optimized" bios options with no success. The only thing I have read with these boards, is that the auto options aren't always stable.

Can anyone recommend stable settings for this CPU? Or can think of any other issues that might causing these problems?

Thanks

Re: GA-P35-DQ6 + E8500 Duo Core = Contant Freezing

Can you please list your full specs?

For some pointers until I get back to you, You should be loading and applying Optimized defaults not fail safe, then save and apply and reboot (F10) back to the BIOS. Then make any desired changes

I would also only have one stick of ram installed in slot one until you can get this thing sorted.

Performance enhance in MIT Set to standard, and manually set your ram voltage

Comment

Ok, I will get those specs to you tonight. At school right now.

My problem is that even when I can finally get the thing into the bios... it freezes very quickly. So changing options will be tough. Could I change the bios options, shutdown and then change to the new CPU?

Comment

Here are my mobo specs:

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P35-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)

Video - Radeon X1050
        PSU - 330W (I really need to upgrade to at least 500W)
        CPU - Intel Core 2 (E8500)
        RAM - 3x KVR400D2N3/512 Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: KVR400D2N3/512

I could post all the MIT settings with the current CPU I have in it (since it doesn't freeze). Though, not sure if it will change when I install my new CPU.

Also, I am using the Heat Sink and fan that came with my P4 HyperThreading CPU. I just couldn't get enough force to secure the one that came with the new CPU. It does have a slightly different design. Though, the old one goes on very very tight as well...I can barely get it on there. I can't imagine it is over-heating because of that... at least not that quickly. And if it was over-heating.. wouldn't the system shutdown?
        Last edited by gehrig44; 02-27-2009, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gehrig44 View Post
          Here are my mobo specs:

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P35-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)

Video - Radeon X1050
          PSU - 330W (I really need to upgrade to at least 500W)
          CPU - Intel Core 2 (E8500)
          RAM - 3x KVR400D2N3/512 Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: KVR400D2N3/512

I could post all the MIT settings with the current CPU I have in it (since it doesn't freeze). Though, not sure if it will change when I install my new CPU.

Also, I am using the Heat Sink and fan that came with my P4 HyperThreading CPU. I just couldn't get enough force to secure the one that came with the new CPU. It does have a slightly different design. Though, the old one goes on very very tight as well...I can barely get it on there. I can't imagine it is over-heating because of that... at least not that quickly. And if it was over-heating.. wouldn't the system shutdown?
          You need new PSU for sure.

pg
          GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
          New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
          G
          .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
          MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
          PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
          Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Agreed, but do you think that is the root of my problem?

Comment

Looks like the problem is fixed. I actually bought some faster ram...when I changed them it worked. I guess, maybe it was a timing setting in the bios?

At any rate, got a new PSU (550w) and graphics card (HD 4870) installed as well... off to play games :)

Comment

Sorry for the late reply!

Sounds like you are all good to go, great to hear! Post back anytime

So it was the ram or PSU that stopped you from flashing, or did you ever narrow it down?

Comment

Hey, thanks.

It had something to do with the RAM I was using. When I replaced it with the newer ram (before I added the new PSU), it worked great.

Could it be that the memory timings were set to support my CPU FSB speed...which my old RAM was not fast enough to support? If that makes any sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gehrig44 View Post
                    Hey, thanks.

It had something to do with the RAM I was using. When I replaced it with the newer ram (before I added the new PSU), it worked great.

Could it be that the memory timings were set to support my CPU FSB speed...which my old RAM was not fast enough to support? If that makes any sense at all.
                    What brand of newer ram did you bought it and link ?

pg
                    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
                    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
                    G
                    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
                    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
                    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
                    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Kingston Technology - 2GB PC-6400 DDR2 Desktop Memory - KVR800D2/2GR

Comment

It could be the speed of the older ram, but not likely as the board would have set the memory speed lower for the ram anyway. It was likely just incompatibility issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X