Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please. GA-EX58-UD4P won't boot, contant restart

Hi,

Just found this board. Looks pretty good. I found several messages with similar problems but not exactly the problem that I have.

Just built a new rig last week. Worked great until last few days. I can't seem to switch it on. It doesn't even get as far as loading the BIOS. I get the leds on the board to light up. Fans start spinning then it shuts down. Then it starts up again. Then it shuts down. Two days ago I let it sit overnight. It booted and said it was loading the backup BIOS. Now it doesn't even get that far.

I tried booting it with only one stick of memory and nothing changes. Still stuck in an infinite reboot cycle.

I tried holding the clear CMOS switch down with the machine off and when it's on. When it's on, it just makes the lights stay lit and the fan run until I release the switch. Then it starts all over again.

I'd really appreciate any insight you may have. I'd like to avoid returning the board if possible. (Have to mail it back to Newegg.)

I have:
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
    Intel i7 920 (stock cooler)
    Corsair 620HX power supply
    6GB (3x2GB) Patriot DDR3 1600 LLK
    Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB
    WD Raptor 300GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Some OEM Samsung DVD+everything
    CM Storm Sniper Case
    Vista Ultimate x64

Nothing is overclocked. Running BIOS settings as automatically set.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Help Please. GA-EX58-UD4P won't boot, contant restart

Try the stuff in that link in my sig. Those are the most common causes, if nothing in there helps we can try the less likely causes :)

Comment

OK.

Didn't try any overclocking unless the board set it up automatically. I think I noticed the memory clocked a bit faster but than stock but I thought that was a feature of newer memory modules

I checked all the power connections. MB gets power because all the LEDs light up. CPU cooler and the case fans all kick in. It lasts <5 seconds, then it shuts down and restarts. Held the clear CMOS button down for 10 seconds before turning it back on with no result. Tried holding it down as the system boots and that just made everything spin until I let it go.

Oh, and the CPU cooler is definitely running.

I can't get to any of the BIOS settings because it won't load.

Two days ago this started happening. I finally got it boot once by leaving it unplugged for a while. Got a screen saying it was restoring the BIOS before it booted. Tried the same thing again (leaving it unplugged for a while) and it won't work now.

Tried each single memory stick in the 1 slot with no result. (The board is set up kind of weird. Slots are numbered 2-1-4-3-6-5 according to the manual. I was using 1-3-5 for triple channel DDR3).

Gigabyte's website says my my memory should be compatible (they tested the 2GB modules instead of the 1GB modules I have).

Any more ideas?

Comment

Ah, unplugging did help. Try unplugging and removing the BIOS battery for several hours/overnight, this will complete discharge the board. This has often fixed random issues where nothing is really wrong with the hardware (because it ran fine before and runs fine afterwards).

Comment

Update:

Well I took out the battery for 10 hrs today while I went in to work. Had to remove the video card to get to it. Also, I left it completely unplugged.

Just put the battery back in now.

Same thing happens. I switch the computer on, I get LEDs and fans, everything goes dark 2 seconds later. Then it tries again. And again.

Got any more ideas? I've got about 10 days before I run out of time to RMA it.

Thanks.
          Last edited by Skratch; 02-28-2009, 03:49 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Bump.

Anyone got any ideas? Should I just RMA the board, or could it be the processor. Semi-local store will take a look fo $70, not sure if it's worth it. Looked at buying a motherboard speaker which is cheap but will take a while to arrive. Also looked at post diagnostic card which is expensive and will also take a while to arrive.

Thanks.

Comment

Well if money is no issue I would personally pickup locally a set of different ram to be sure that is not the issue.

Have you had the board out of the case and off the tray yet, with the minimal hardware (CPU, Ram, and GFX card only)?

Have you removed the CPU yet and looked to be sure you have NO Bent pins under it?

You may have to RMA Since it was loading the backup BIOS. Did you have a floppy drive ALREADY Installed? If so you can blind flash the BIOS back in, see my post here for BIOS recovery procedures >>>

You can hook up any small speaker to the case speaker header if you have one you could cut up and connect, even headphones would work

Comment

I didn't have a floppy drive handy, I was actually thinking of putting one in when the computer stopped working.

Gigabyte's site says that my memory should work with the board Patriot PVT36G1600LLK, but I just read on Newegg that someone else was complaining that they couldn't get the memory to overclock correctly.

Thing is: I thought I read somewhere that the board should still POST without memory installed. Even with NO memory it will just go through the same cycle of posting and crashing.

And it DID work for a week before having the restore the BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Skratch View Post
                  I didn't have a floppy drive handy, I was actually thinking of putting one in when the computer stopped working.

Gigabyte's site says that my memory should work with the board Patriot PVT36G1600LLK, but I just read on Newegg that someone else was complaining that they couldn't get the memory to overclock correctly.

Thing is: I thought I read somewhere that the board should still POST without memory installed. Even with NO memory it will just go through the same cycle of posting and crashing.

And it DID work for a week before having the restore the BIOS.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/nvidia-gets-further-up-intels-chuff-with-pledge-to-develop-an-x86-cpu/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/nvidia-gets-further-up-intels-chuff-with-pledge-to-develop-an-x86-cpu/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
                  It's strange, how did it work for a week then stopped working? I guess that's what you're trying to figure out.
                  Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Ill have to test that no memory thing for you on X58. I know some boards will and some will just put out a error beep and reboot and do it all over, so without a speaker you may not be sure.

And yes, you are right I have seen several threads this month with issues due to patriot memory and X58. I may just have to shoot off a email to see if I can get some samples for testing as it seems to be a growing issue and I cannot say for sure if it is the memory or just some setting that I cannot know about without hands on knowledge

Floppy would not help you if you did not already have it installed and set as first boot device

Can you borrow or pickup another set locally of DDR3 a different brand of course. Even a 2x1 set would be ok as long as it was 1.5-1.7V ram.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS using the method I outlined in post #2 of the BISO flashing guide linked above? if not try that and see if it helps

Comment

Thanks for checking out my problem. I actually ended up sending the board back RMA. I would be interested in your memory tests, though, since I kept the same sticks. The Patriot memory I mentioned was listed by Gigabyte as working with the GA-X58-UD4P but they only tested memory in single channels according to the PDF.

Comment

Hmm, So you want me to test no memory to see if there is error beeps then right? Or what happens right?

If so I can for sure. Ya, I will tomorrow afternoon and then post back.

Here as soon as I get a spare minute I plan to shoot off a email to Patriot about some samples for testing as well, just have not had time lately

Comment

I have the same problem...but with Kingston Value Ram...should I try booting without memory? I did everything the other dude did...I switched the CMOS battery over and tried to boot like that....Still the same, fans turn, all LED's burn for 5 seconds, then it shuts down...after 5 seconds, the same again....and again...getting desperate...

Comment

Are you using the correct slots? That would be the white ones (1, 3, 5)

Do you have a case speaker connected, if not please try to find one to connect so you can hear if any beeps are being emitted.

Have you tried 1 and or 2 sticks instead of 3?

Did you check for bent pins in the CPU Socket before you installed the CPU? If not, please check now.

You do have the 24Pin and 8Pin connected right? Just checking, you would be surprised.

Can you give me a link to your ram, and also tell me your full specs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Are you using the correct slots? That would be the white ones (1, 3, 5)

Do you have a case speaker connected, if not please try to find one to connect so you can hear if any beeps are being emitted.

Have you tried 1 and or 2 sticks instead of 3?

Did you check for bent pins in the CPU Socket before you installed the CPU? If not, please check now.

You do have the 24Pin and 8Pin connected right? Just checking, you would be surprised.

Can you give me a link to your ram, and also tell me your full specs as well.
                              Ok, .... I installed the cpu, 3 times I think, I opened it a few times to check if there were no pins bent, but normally there are none. I first tried with everything connected and 3 dimms...now I've built everything outside the case on some ESD foil.... I changed to 1 dimm, and I have put it in all sockets blue and white I think :D .... I change GPU to and older PCI-e card, but problem still persisted....I changed power supply (my 700 W vs a Fortronn 350 W) and the problem still persisted. I took out the CMOS battery for a night-> didn't help....I tried to boot with battery flipped over (PC store told me that they had had same problem and gigabyte had adviced them to do that)...still the same...now I tried booting without memory, same thing happened so no memory problem I think....

I'll repeat what happens;...when I try to boot, all LED's burn, cpu fan starts spinning, after 5 seconds or so...everything stops, goes out....after 5 seconds, spontaneously it starts again for 5 seconds...and it keeps cycling like that....I hooked up my normal speakers and heard 2 short beeps I THINK (I heard it 2 times so I think I really heard them, but now it's too far from speakers to connect them), so that would point to a CMOS error....Also, when it boots, and I keep pressing (pressing shortly doesnt do anything) the clr_CMOS button or keep connecting the jumper pins it stays ON, with all LED's on and fan keeps spinning, just until I release button then it shuts down immediatelly...

my specs:
                              core i7 920
                              Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
                              Sapphire HD4870 1 gb (using Geforce 6600 ATM, is easier to unplug)..
                              Cooler Master CM690
                              Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W M (used a Fortronn 350W to test if it was not PSU)
                              sh-223f
                              2* Seagate 7200.12 500 gb..
                              at last but not least...
                              Kingston ValueRam 3*2gb 1333 Mhz DDR3 ram

Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: KVR1333D3N9K3/6G

Any ideas? plz help :(

It has been 2 days, I've run out of ideas and at my local pc store, the dude looked at me in a contemplating fashion and said, you should have let us assemble it for 69 euro's (like I'm not able to do it myself) and he said that I will cost a whole lot of money if I would bring it in....
                              Last edited by Thombose; 04-01-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X