Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP45-DS3P LAN/DSL disconnection problems... HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3P LAN/DSL disconnection problems... HELP PLEASE!

Hi!

This time its no OC, but if someone had similar situation or has any idea what to check, set, fix please help.

new config:
    GA-EP45-DS3P (Dual Lan)
    E5200 Dual Core
    GeiL Ultra 2x1024 DDR2-800
    Corsair VX550 PSU
    Sapphire HD4670 GDDR4
    Windows XP Prof. 32bit

It happens randomly but repeatedly (I have a stable connection sometimes 1-2hours, sometimes more). I am connected to the internet and suddenly I get the message I was disconnected from the internet I should try to connect again. Sometimes its no problem, I click to connect and I am reconnected, but even more the onboard NIC does not respond, it can't see the ADSL modem (reports network cable not connected). I ve tried followings immediately after disconnection:
    - to reconnect the LAN cable between NIC and modem, nothing
    - to disable then enable NIC in device manager, nothing
    - to uninstall and reinstall NIC, nothing
    but
    - if I change simply to NIC #2, I have always a connection immediately or
    - if I make a reboot it seems everything allright again, both NIC's work.
    After it I ve checked ipconfig /all and it reports for the first NIC I ve used, Media disconnected. If I dont reboot and use the second NIC it happens again and after one or two reconnects I get the same message like the first time. I check it again with ipconfig and now both NIC's are reported Media disconnected.

I have the latest drivers. I ve checked my comp with Panda Antivirus, F-Secure, seems no problems like viruses, rootkits etc.

I ve checked the event log, I found an event id: 20159 then right after event id: 4202. I found some info at microsoft support sites regarding this event id's, but unfortunatelly it doesnt solve my problem (20159: I changed the MTU in registry, but doesnt help, 4202: does not solve the issue with TCP/IP reconfig and anyway new installed drivers should work properly, shouldnt?).

There was no problem until a week or so (since I ve build my new config) then I got a BSOD regarding something with tcpip.sys Address xxxxxxx base at ... and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL, STOP:0x000000D1 ... This issue gone (happened only once) and the new one appeared.

Sometimes my firewall software reported at the same time when I was disconnected from the internet, that rasautou.exe wanted to change my registry and this has been refused.
    In the last couple of days there was no such notification about this, only a "simple" disconnection and NIC #1 later NIC #2 were not able to detect the ethernet cable anymore as I mentioned above...

Does it need any special settings such Dual Lan solution anyway? (TCP/IP, subnet mask, DNS, any other protocols etc., because I simply set 192.168.0.1 and ~.2)

I tried to disable one of them first in XP, then later in BIOS. After a while I got again this error and was disconnected. I checked both LAN's with my ADSL modem in BIOS, there were no problems detected.
    I checked if the ADSL link was disconnected by my ISP, but I ve found through the utility SM50B , that my ADSL uptime was more then 8 hours during my several disconnections.
    I use the same modem and ISP, which were OK with my old config...

What can cause this? Any ideas?

If you need any other info please ask.
    Last edited by vacapp; 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM.
    >> The most useful guides currently on OC in addition to tweaktown sticky threads! <<

Re: EP45-DS3P LAN/DSL disconnection problems... HELP PLEASE!

Hm, sounds like that BSOD might have damaged your windows isntalltion. if you have another hard drive try installing windows on there and see if the problem still persists.

You can also try uninstalling the drivers and then run driver cleaner to be completely sure no files of them are left. Leftover files from older drivers can also cause problems. Driver Cleaner costs a few bucks but is well worth it imho.

Comment

Are you downloading torrents? I just ask due to you mentioning TCP/IP

rasautou.exe wanted to change my registry and this has been refused.
      ^^ This ^^ makes me think you have some spyware or a virus. This is the "Dialer" from Microsoft and since you are not on dial up it should not be doing anything at all.

rasautou.exe Windows process - What is it?

Have you ran any spyware programs like spybot search and destroy? Virus apps often do not pickup spyware, and it is best to install and run weekly or more often a few spyware programs >>>
      The home of Spybot-S&D!

I would do a clean install if it was me, it would be easiest and least time consuming

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
        Hm, sounds like that BSOD might have damaged your windows isntalltion. if you have another hard drive try installing windows on there and see if the problem still persists.

You can also try uninstalling the drivers and then run driver cleaner to be completely sure no files of them are left. Leftover files from older drivers can also cause problems. Driver Cleaner costs a few bucks but is well worth it imho.
        Thanks for the hints.

As for reinstall windows. Yeah I know sometimes necessary at the end, but I would like to avoid this step, that's why I am asking before I have to do this annoying procedure (too much programs, settings etc...)

As for Driver Cleaner, are you convinced it really works (btw. there are older drivers e.g. MarvelYukon for previous board...)?
        There are a lot of registry cleaners which promise they really work. Until now, I ve found Registry Booster the most effective, but it still doesnt remove all
        unnecessary keys...
        But I will try, its easier than a reinstall.
        >> The most useful guides currently on OC in addition to tweaktown sticky threads! <<

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Are you downloading torrents? I just ask due to you mentioning TCP/IP
          Thanks for your kind reply.

Yes. Although I used it before also, there were no problems on the old config and I have not installed any new programs after new config was built.

^^ This ^^ makes me think you have some spyware or a virus. This is the "Dialer" from Microsoft and since you are not on dial up it should not be doing anything at all.
          rasautou.exe Windows process - What is it?
          I made some resarch also, but honestly I was not sure should it be used by any software occasonaly?! (In the past when I first found this I tried to delete this file, but it appeared again and again... ) This special firewall notification happened a few times on my old config also, but really very rarely, so after a while it disappeared and I was not dealing with it.

Can/Should I disable it? I ve found it in Services > Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Service (executable path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs). In the Properties I could set it to Disabled.
          What do you think? Do I need it to establish any internet connection through LAN->DSL modem?
          Have you ran any spyware programs like spybot search and destroy? Virus apps often do not pickup spyware, and it is best to install and run weekly or more often a few spyware programs >>>
          The home of Spybot-S&D!

I would do a clean install if it was me, it would be easiest and least time consuming
          Yeah, you are right, if any other method do not work, I have to do, I know. As I mentioned I would like to try to fix it if someone has an idea. Now I have 2 chances left
          1. Driver Cleaner and reinstall drivers
          2. Spyware hunting...
          Last edited by vacapp; 03-03-2009, 03:51 AM. Reason: mistakes

Comment

Hmm, well you may need to use the TCP/IP Patch from here to increase your limit so you don't get TCP/IP related Errors >>>
            lvllord, 4226fix, eventid 4226, 4226, EvIDPatch, EvID4226Patch, lvlord, ereignis 4226

(It is not a virus either, so if your firewall/anti-virus stops it you may need to disable them and try the download again. Some pick it up as a virus due to the fact that it alters a windows file (Tcpip.sys))

NO, you don't need it for anything it is the dial up driver. Now, without a dial up connection I am not sure if it can do anything, but if it is spyware or something like it then it may move onto other things once it finds it cannot dial out via phone line?

Yes, if you do not need remote access to your PC then you can disable that service, along with remote registry. Disable them or set to manual, after you stop the service. Now, I do think you must leave "Remote Access Connection Manager" enabled due to ICS but I am not sure and it may depend on how you use your PC. You can try it disabled, and enable it anytime so don't worry if it causes issues then just enable it again
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

different mboard but:

make sure the "never dial a connection" button is on in IE "connections".

There is an optional "new" network driver available for my mbrd on windows update.I dloaded and installed it then I coulndt connect to my router.
              I was getting a message up,connection couldnt be established and a redail timer came up.
              It is a router youre using yeh?
              After searching around a bit I found something about having 2 nics,causing packet overlap or something.
              Anyway in the end I just used "restore" to get the pc back to where the new driver had never been installed and its working fine again.
              I may check it out properly once Ive settled on mem/cpu clock speeds etc.
              Have you gone thru the diagnostics on your router?
              Disconnect it from the power for 20 min is the recommendation for mine to fully reset it.(sounds almos like cmos resetting on mbrds).

Restting the router back to factory defaults and getting it up n running again is faster than reinstalling windows ,just a possibility.

Thats all I can think of offhand.

LOL weird just as I hit the post reply button a message came up "no connection to the internet is currently available ,try again?"
              I tried again n it reconnected.

"You have now entered the twilight zone :0"
              Last edited by kick; 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks Kick!

I have seen that Dial a Connection thing cause issues alot, even seen connections in that window that do not even need to be there!

You would be surprised how many PC's I fix that customers have installed MSN as a connection or various Tools/Connections from there ISP's like a AOL, Verizon, Comcast, Ect. Connection that they do not need to install to connect to the net

Comment

Hmm, well you may need to use the TCP/IP Patch from here to increase your limit so you don't get TCP/IP related Errors >>>
                  www.LvlLord.de - Tipps, Tricks & Utilities - Tools

(It is not a virus either, so if your firewall/anti-virus stops it you may need to disable them and try the download again. Some pick it up as a virus due to the fact that it alters a windows file (Tcpip.sys))
                  Thanks for the hint! I read about this special thing, but I dont think that causes the problems, because I had no trouble with my old config and although I see in the Event log this special notification of Event ID 4226, never around the time of disconnections.
                  Can it cause any trouble apart from event log notifications???

NO, you don't need it for anything it is the dial up driver. Now, without a dial up connection I am not sure if it can do anything, but if it is spyware or something like it then it may move onto other things once it finds it cannot dial out via phone line?

Yes, if you do not need remote access to your PC then you can disable that service, along with remote registry. Disable them or set to manual, after you stop the service. Now, I do think you must leave "Remote Access Connection Manager" enabled due to ICS but I am not sure and it may depend on how you use your PC. You can try it disabled, and enable it anytime so don't worry if it causes issues then just enable it again
                  I am not sure that I understand you right, I would like to clearify. This rasautou.exe (which I mentioned regarding my firewall notification) is the "Remote Auto Access Connection Manager Service" in the "Services". The other service "Remote Access Connection Manager" uses only the rasman.dll not the rasautou.exe, am I right? (I disabled(!) rasautou.exe but it started (I ve checked with Process Monitor -> reason later on) at the same time as I wanted to establish my DSL connection (with accountname and password, no fix ip address), and it seems the system needed it... )

Why is this issue so important and I do not reinstall windows immediately?

Because I would like to know what is able to cause such suddenly disconnections and whats more, deny the access (ipconfig result Media disconnected) to the onboard LAN device in windows xp.
                  How is it possible to check this? I downloaded the Microsoft Process Monitor, which is able to log all activities of the system: network, registry, file system etc. I was running this special program when this disconnection happened again, but unfortunatelly I am not such an expert to identify what causes the problem. I have a log of my firewall software, this process manager, and time stamp of disconnection from xp's event log (only event id: 20159, nothing else before the given moment when it happened).
                  Are you familiar in deep with this also, or could you suggest a forum (maybe msfn.org)?

I have now a full different system as previous and maybe a software has problems with a driver of my new config (maybe f-secure, u-torrent anything) but I can only guess, because I do not have such deep knowledge about the OS.

I would like to figure it out, so I have no problems again after I reinstall xp or at least I knew what is definitely not the reason of this issue if it happens...

EDIT:
                  ------
                  In the meantime I ve found some suggestions. First of them was to set the onboard LAN card speed settings to "100Mbs/full duplex" from "Auto". Now I have since 9 hours a stable internet connection...
                  I am wondering if this would have been that simple???
                  EDIT2:
                  No it was not that simple... After 11 hours I was disconnected again... Now I try the second suggestion, LAN properties Energysaving uncheck both boxes. We will see...

Last edited by vacapp; 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM. Reason: MAYBE SOME PROGRESS...

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
                    different mboard but:

make sure the "never dial a connection" button is on in IE "connections".

It is a router youre using yeh?

After searching around a bit I found something about having 2 nics,causing packet overlap or something.
                    Thanks for a reply.

- never dial is on
                    - I dont use a router only onboard LAN and DSL modem through ethernet cable
                    - I have 2 nics (dual lan MB), but one of them is disabled in bios (although it was enabled and installed previous... I think registry keys still exists and such sh*t)
                    Could it be a problem anyhow? I ve asked it before already in one of my replies, should I know anything special about installing-enabling-disabling-setting of such MB?

LOL weird just as I hit the post reply button a message came up "no connection to the internet is currently available ,try again?"
                    I tried again n it reconnected.
                    "You have now entered the twilight zone :0"
                    Its contagious take care!!!

Comment

No, it will just slow up downloads if you dont increase it, and thus add event logs. It will not cause issues or errors though

This is the one I mean to try disabled/manual >>
                      "Remote Auto Access Connection Manager Service"

Ya, you can do a clean install for sure anytime you like, only takes 20 minutes or so

That Event ID 20159 is someone trying to access your PC Via remote access. What named did the event ID Give in the event manager for these blanks >>>

The connection to < connection name > made by user < user name > using device < com port > was disconnected.
                      Sorry, I dont know any forums to suggest to help with this. But I do suggest you change firewalls and do a clean install. What firewall are you using anyway?

You can enable/disable either one of the LAN's in the BIOS and switch back and forth in windows to test both out. Windows will just reinstall the driver when you switch is all.

Comment

Thanks again that you spend some time for my trouble.

No, it will just slow up downloads if you dont increase it, and thus add event logs. It will not cause issues or errors though
                        Ok, I see. Later on if my main problem will be solved, I check this issue again.
                        This is the one I mean to try disabled/manual >>
                        "Remote Auto Access Connection Manager Service"
                        I did it, nothing changed.
                        Ya, you can do a clean install for sure anytime you like, only takes 20 minutes or so
                        Yes, but a lot of hours to have the same environment again which I am used to have.
                        Although it seems to be unavoidable... But we will see, I hope after the reinstall I will never have this annoying problem again.

That Event ID 20159 is someone trying to access your PC Via remote access. What named did the event ID Give in the event manager for these blanks >>>
                        The connection to < name of the DSL connection which I made with the usual connection wizard to establish the internet connection > made by user < my accountname to the ISP > using device < PPPoE5-0 > was disconnected.

Can this below setting change anything? I did not change my DSL modem, my ISP and I had no problems before...
                        How to determine the optimal MTU
                        How to change mtu

Sorry, I dont know any forums to suggest to help with this. But I do suggest you change firewalls and do a clean install. What firewall are you using anyway?
                        F-Secure Client Security since 2 years, was very satisfied never had a virus, rootkit etc.
                        But how knows...

You can enable/disable either one of the LAN's in the BIOS and switch back and forth in windows to test both out. Windows will just reinstall the driver when you switch is all.
                        I ve tried, same problem occurs.

Unfortunatelly I have tried 3 more hints as you ve seen it, but nothing helped: 1. change to full duplex from auto 2. disable this energysaving option for LAN card 3. change the ip address of my LAN card according to the predefined DSL modem submask 192.168.1.1. (255.255.255.254) -> LAN card was set to 192.168.1.2. 255.255.255.0
                        Non of them solved this issue...

Edit: I ve forget to mention, that in the last couple of day, there were only disconnections (event id 20159), but the media disconnections of LAN disappeared (event id 4202)...
                        Last edited by vacapp; 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM.

Comment

MTU settings would not affect the connection dropping or not I would think.

It may just be your ISP, do you have other PC's in the house that are not affected (Recently checked)?

I am not sure what else to suggest? Have you tried the latest RealTek drivers? If not, try these >>>

XP 32/64

Comment

Hi!

First of all, I ve gave up at the end and did a clean install... We will see...

MTU settings would not affect the connection dropping or not I would think.
                            Although I ve mentioned it did not cause any problems on my old config, I ve found this article interesting as a solution of disconnections, but I don't know has it really anything to do with my problem. And sorry I did not link, the original thread is in connection with Event ID 20159
                            And I ve asked for your oppinion, whether is it worth to spend some time to try, because I am not sure that I understand exactly what is the best setting (some headers of packages needs extra bytes(?!) etc.) defaults? -> my result was without fragmentation 1452 but it can not be more anyhow, because of the given rules of the command!
                            Therefore, if the MTU size is set to 1460 (decimal), the max value of NUM in the following command line can be 1432:
                            ping IP_address -f -l NUM

It may just be your ISP, do you have other PC's in the house that are not affected (Recently checked)?
                            No I have only this one, but as I mentioned in my first post:
                            I checked if the ADSL link was disconnected by my ISP, but I ve found through the utility SM50B, that my ADSL uptime was more than 8 hours during my several disconnections. I use the same modem and ISP, which were OK with my old config...
                            I am not sure what else to suggest? Have you tried the latest RealTek drivers? If not, try these >>>
                            XP 32/64
                            http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargement/realtek/lan/PCIE_Install_5714_0219(www.station-drivers.com).zip
                            I am looking for any ideas, thanks again. Yes I ve used the latest drivers.
                            Last edited by vacapp; 03-09-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Well I am not so sure that a disconnect from your PC would show up in that app if the disconnect was short would it? Never used that so I don't know.

I do know without another PC to test on for a while it is going to be very hard to tell if you are getting disconnected from your ISP or just your PC is loosing the connection

I am not sure about adjusting that, if it would have a effect or not. I have never had to. Here is some info I found that may help you more in you want to try that out >>>
                              Adjusting the MTU
                              BBPC News | BuildOrBuy - Windows TCP/IP Tweak Settings
                              Linksys Answer

Comment

Working...
                              X