Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45C-DS3R NB overheat

Hey there

I just bought EP45C-DS3R and the box's seal was broken!
    But the distributor and the company person told its the only piece available in north india, and they gave me bill and all that and warranty assurance too

I built the system with Q8200, 2x2GB Kingston 1.8V 800MHz Ram, Corsair Vx450, Palit HD4850

my CPU starts at 49C reaches till 75C in 30-60seconds with prime 100% load

Then I reseated the CPU its now 45C and reaches somewhere 65C with 5 min of prime

and after 1 Hr of Crysis it 57C

is it normal on stock cooling

Problem No.2

My Northbridge

Its 41C even in open case and when I touch the heatsink It its actually too hot to touch for more than 20-30 seconds

Also the heatsink of north bridge is loose I guess

when I push from one side it lowers a bit

I checked the pin's which holds it they are visible on back of MB about 2-3 mm

Please do help
    its a new board I dont want to damage it and reduce its life thanks
    Last edited by prateekchanda; 03-07-2009, 06:13 AM.
    Q8200 @ 2.8 Ghz, GA-EP45C-DS3R, Palit HD4850, WD 1TB Black, 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 800(1:1) Mhz Kingston, Vx2235wm-5 (2ms, C.R 1000(typ), DVI), Altac Lansing AS2351 5.1, Corsair Vx450W - Prateek Chanda

Re: EP45C-DS3R NB overheat

To further clarify i'm attaching these pics

I've marked the points where when I press the heatsink gets inclined as in a sea-saw

Also in picture below the white locks also gets depressed as if i'm pressing a door bell

Q8200 @ 2.8 Ghz, GA-EP45C-DS3R, Palit HD4850, WD 1TB Black, 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 800(1:1) Mhz Kingston, Vx2235wm-5 (2ms, C.R 1000(typ), DVI), Altac Lansing AS2351 5.1, Corsair Vx450W - Prateek Chanda

Comment

The Northbridge will get hot and is held on with just two spring type mounts - so it will "see-saw" if you apply enough pressure. The "Core" it sits on is fairly small in surface area, so you have this large heatsink almost "balancing" on the top, hence the spring pressure mounts.

My North Bridge Heatsink which is similiar (if not the same to yours) does get very hot. I have a Zalman unit that monitors my NB heatsink in way of a probe and thermal tape and on average my NB is at 50C, which is around 15C above internal case temperature.

Also the stock Intel HSF cooler does a very good job in cooling the NB due to it's fan proximity to the Northbridge heatsink itself.

What is your Room temperature? as everything will be based on that.

Edit:-
      Your CPU temperatures seem about right now you have reseated the HSF.
      Again it's all dependent on your ambient temperature.
      Last edited by VorLonUK; 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

^^ Agreed ^^

And do be careful with that NB heatsink, that is a BARE Piece of silicon under there!!!

Comment

Thanks guys for ur invaluable help

I live in delhi its do get very hot here in summer
          as of now my room temps are around 25-30C

Can u people share with me what all can be done to improve the temps and
          make my PC's life long

Few I know are

1. Good Case Ventilation <- for this I'm thinking of adding a 120 mm front fan but since the case have screw marking for 90mm I'll paste 120 one , my case also have one 90mm back fan and a Chimney on side cover on top of CPU cooler shall I replace it with a 90mm fan aswell?

2. Good thermal compound <- trying to find Tuniq Tx2 here, will use it on CPU but will my NB benefit from it? Any warranty issues

3. Just a thought
          will reducing my RAM's speed from 800 to 667 n reducing latency from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 will increase speed , will be in sync with my 1333 FSB, will it affect temps?
          Last edited by prateekchanda; 03-09-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Ya, I would redo the paste on the NB if you feel up to it. I always do mine, just be careful of course. If you do redo the paste on it, be sure to use NON Conductive paste like TX-2 or MX-2

I would put a 120MM up front, and in back. Cut a larger whole with a dremel if you need to.

Do you ebay? Maybe you could get those sent to you from Ebay?

Na, your ram temps would only be affected by voltages. And I dont recommend you underclock your ram to get better timings, it would not be worth all that

Comment

thanks Lsdmeasap

I'll put that 120mm fan this weekend

btw I'm using the blue PCIe slot for my 4850 and the NB is just next to it and get hot is it ok or should I move it to orange slot?

and while I shop around for 120mm fan i think I'll buy one for my NB too what size fit's on it? and how do we go about it

Comment

I think you will be fine with your card there, it's got a good cooler on it anyway right?

Hmm, normally a 40MM fan is what most use on the NB but you could maybe fit a 50MM on that one since it is a little larger. You will have to rig it up yourself, like with some wire or a bent paper clip, or super glue

Or you could get one of these, they're cheap, work very well, and they look nice too! That is if you can find one in any of your stores? >>>
                Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II CL-C0034

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap
                  You've been a great help!

Comment

Anytime man, glad I could offer you some advise on things.

Post back and let us know how you get along with setting up your fans and such once you get them all done

Comment

I know Its been quite a time after i'm replying but here goes

I've put 2 120mm 1 80 mm and 1 90mm Fans & its noisy but bearable

due to the design of my box I've put 2 120mm fan in pull-IN config

1 from front 2nd from side directly above GPU

1 80 mm also in pull-in config above cpu

1 90mm in push-out from rear

also to mention there is 1 120mm fan in my VX450 which pushes out

I also bought Tuniq Tx-2 thermal compound and applied in line method on my CPU (used Nailpolish remover to remove original paste, but the remover is fregrence less color less and vaporises with out leaving no patch or odor both on tissue paper and metal surface)

and NB, but left SB as it is havein a pad

and here are the results

My room temp right now is 34.6 C measured from electric thermometer :D

and my MB is in the open on my desk coz I'm testing and one ceiling fan is running over head

primus is running good from last 45 minutes in Large FFT's mode on all four cores with error check enabled

Any help in keeping the temps down will be appreciated

And Thanks in advance
                      Last edited by prateekchanda; 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: updated image link

Comment

Over an hour now Stable but temps are still 65-60-65-64

Don't want to run it over 65 so I guess its on the edge

Also I've applied the Tx-2 twice as on first run the temps were reaching 66 and above quite quickly so I stoped the tests on stock speed

second time temps were around 62 on testing for 4-5 min so I decided to over clock

I've also modified Smart Fan Config in EasyTune6 so as to make CPU FAN run at 100% when the temps according to ET6 reaches 41C which corresponds to mid 50's in Real Temp! so is this ok

Comment

Few Things I might have missed out

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: [Auto]
                          CPU Clock Ratio .......................: [ 7]
                          CPU Frequency .........................: 2.80GHz

Clock Chip Control
                          Standard Clock Control
                          CPU Host Clock Control.................: [Enabled]
                          CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 400Mhz
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ...........: 100

C.I.A.2 ...............................: [Disabled]

DRAM Performance Control
                          Performance Enhance....................: [STANDARD]
                          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)........: [Disabled]
                          (G)MCH Frequency Latch.................: Auto
                          System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00D
                          Memory Frequency (Mhz) ................: 800
                          DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                          CAS Latency Time.......................: 5
                          tRCD ..................................: 5
                          tRP'...................................: 5
                          tRAS...................................: 15

Advanced Settings
                          Limit CPUID Max. to 3..................: [Disabled]
                          No-Execute Memory Protect..............: [Enabled]
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
                          C2/C2E State Support...................: [Disabled]
                          x C4/C4E State Support.................: [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ............: [Enabled]
                          CPU EIST Function......................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
                          Legacy USB Storage Detect .............: [Disabled]

Pirme still stable temps ditto as above 1.3 Hr

I guess its more or less stable

Comment

Looks good, your temps are OK for your CPU that is still with the stock heatsink right?

What is the system/NB temp

Did you get a NB Fan or heatsink or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Looks good, your temps are OK for your CPU that is still with the stock heatsink right?

What is the system/NB temp

Did you get a NB Fan or heatsink or not?

Yes these are with stock HSF

U said 65C is good? so till what temps is it still good 67-68-70?

My NB temps are 49C max I did try to put an old P1 Fan on it but it made a hell of noise so i removed it still searching for a good one though!

Also are my Voltages right?

and My FAN config I know its not ideal but is it too bad and will cutting a hole on top and exhausting thru 120mm will be worth the efforts?

Comment

Working...
                              X