UD3 socket pins are bet :( :( :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD3 socket pins are bet :( :( :(

Hey guys.. first time on this forum. Yesterday when i got my new cpu cooler ( last component for my PC ) i ran into a big problem! Before installing the cooler i had put too much thermal paste onto the cpu! So i took the cpu out and cleaned the brackets off. During that is where i made the mistake. I accidentally slipped onto the pins and bent 2-4 pins!!! Ive tried re bending them and no luck :(. Do anyone have a solution to this problem?

Any tips will be great guys! I dont want to spend another $180 AUD and i just switched to this mobo last month.
    Granites PC:
    Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3
    Intel Q6600 G0 stepping
    Coolermaster 500w PSU
    WD caviar??? 320G
    HIS 4830
    G.skill 4 gigs RAM
    Noctua NH-C12P
    Lian Li PC-K8 (crappy black spraypaint interior from me)

Re: UD3 socket pins are bet :( :( :(

Not much you dan except carefully try to bend back the pins with good tweezers. You don't have to return them to a "perfect" state though, I had a bent pin once but the board worked nonetheless.

Warranty is not an option usually, the manufacturers are usually very strict on this. You can ask though if they can repair the board for a fee if you cannot fix it yourself.

Comment

yeah i was thinking about returning it. Can i return it directly to Gigabyte or do i have to go back into store? Sorry if im breaking any forum rules here!
      Granites PC:
      Intel Q6600 G0 stepping
      Coolermaster 500w PSU
      WD caviar??? 320G
      HIS 4830
      G.skill 4 gigs RAM
      Noctua NH-C12P

Comment

Depends on where you live, check with your country's GB distributor. But you probably cannot simply return it, because you voided your warranty.
        Ask them whether they will fix your board for a fee, if they won't do that you can google/check forums for someone who can do that. I know that it's possible, but I don't know anyone who can do it.

Comment

Ow thas nasty.heh id be bad and just rma.
          I think intel only guarantee the cpus themselves for 20 insertions/reinsertions..um like Ive reinserted my cpu 21 times and Im going to own up..not me .

There is one thing you could try I suppose,if you want to do a self fix .Cover the bottom of the cpu with electrical insulating tape.2-3 strips should do it ,trim off the excess at the sides.
          Insert the cpu ,clamp it down when its roughly centered in the socket.Then release the lever and take it out and check the underside and see if all the pins have penetrated to the pads,maybe one is just a tiny bit off.
          It depends if you put a "double bend" in a pin as you straightened it if that happened no hope.
          Last edited by kick; 03-22-2009, 08:54 PM.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I would contact both places and explain. I would tell the place you bought it at it came that way and you have heard of several as of late being that way. See if they will Swtich it for you.

Otherwise you will have to contact Gigabyte in your area (Numbers below) and tell them what happened and ask how much they charge for a new socket to be installed. I believe they do it for a price, not sure how much though. I did just see some Asus RMA's for the same and the charge was $60

GIGABYTE ~ Contact Info

Comment

Im from Australia, im not entirely sure which to call haha im only 13! I dont think i should do it myself but i will for sure go back to the store again and get something good in return. But thanks for all your helps guys! I now know i will use this forum again as someothers dont and leave!
              Granites PC:
              Intel Q6600 G0 stepping
              Coolermaster 500w PSU
              WD caviar??? 320G
              HIS 4830
              G.skill 4 gigs RAM
              Noctua NH-C12P

Comment

Well age does not matter to me, but it may to whom you call. So maybe best to have your Dad or Mom call (Whoever is meaner or better talking with people)

You would need to contact One of these distributors if you cannot get a RMA where you bought the board >>
                GIGABYTE - Where To Buy - Motherboard

I will also ask tonight when I speak to Colin at Gigabyte, what place you should call and if they do accept a socket replacement RMA with a charge or not

Comment

Lsdmeasap..... YOUR A LEGEND! haha thanks mate for the help!
                  Granites PC:
                  Intel Q6600 G0 stepping
                  Coolermaster 500w PSU
                  WD caviar??? 320G
                  HIS 4830
                  G.skill 4 gigs RAM
                  Noctua NH-C12P

Comment

I will let you know tomorrow night what they say. Let me know tomorrow if you get ahold of any of those places and find out anything. Have you called and asked at the place you bought it yet?

Comment

Nope i have not called the store yet, i am heading there tommorow after school and see what i can do. But yea ill tell you whats up. Thanks heaps mate!
                      Granites PC:
                      Intel Q6600 G0 stepping
                      Coolermaster 500w PSU
                      WD caviar??? 320G
                      HIS 4830
                      G.skill 4 gigs RAM
                      Noctua NH-C12P

Comment

Anytime! Good luck!!!

I will let ya know, once I find out, what there official action is on Bent pins, if they will fix for a charge or not, and where you would need to do that at from AU

Comment

Working...
                        X