Gigabyte UD3P issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte UD3P issue

Hello everyone! I have an issue that popped up with my recent build that I hope someone can help me with. Everything worked fine for 2 weeks, then one day after logging on to windows my IDE DVD drive and LAN ports would not work. Neither show up at all under device manager.

I checked the BIOS, the only thing different is that it is showing my harddrive as both IDE Channel 0 master and IDE Channel 4 master, and it will not see the DVD drive at all. I tried a different drive (and no drive at all) and nothing changed.

I tried all the tips I could find, disabling the lan ports, restarting windows, shutting down and re-enabling them but still not lan or IDE drive recognition. I reset CMOS, Q-flashed the BIOS to F9b and tried both optimized and failsafe defaults but still no success.

My build: (running Windows XP home)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield
    OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    OCZ OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Power Supply
    EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

I wanted to see if there was something I could try before RMA'ing the board

Thanks for your assistance!

Re: Gigabyte UD3P issue

Are these both IDE Drives? Have you tested with a different IDE Ribbon cable? Have you tested both drives one at a time set as master (Jumpered to master and put on the end of the IDE Cable)?

Please tell me what you have set for these settings in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page. >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) .............
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

And by the way, you should be using optimized defaults for sure not fail safe. I would imagine your settings are just incorrect because I doubt the board would start if the Southbridge was bad

Comment

Hi, thanks for responding. The only IDE device is the DVD drive, my two harddrives are SATA drives, non-RAID). The first has the operating system, the second is a backup.

I have tried two different DVD drives with two different sets of cables, but
      could not get it to show up in either the BIOS or in Windows XP. I pulled and reset all cables, and disconnected both SATA drives to see if I could get it to recognize the drive, but no success.

My settings (which I have tried to Enable/Disable/Reboot/Re-Enable)

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
      SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled

All other Settings are Optimized Defaults (except for the splash screen being disabled)

I disconnected both SATA drives to see if I could even get it to recognize one of the DVD drives but they do not show up at all under the Standard CMOS page....IDE Channel 1-5 all show [None] with SATA drives disconnected. I have tried the DVD drive as both Master and Slave (with the correct cable plug used) but no luck.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Hmm, well this is the only setting you need to have set/enabled for IDE >>

So with that set and your tests I can only think maybe the drives are bad or the cables you tried possibly? Now, what you could do to test if the Gigabyte SATAII and IDE Chip (Same chip) is bad now is move your Storage drive onto the Purple plugs which would then be controlled by this chip and see if you can see that drive in windows or the BIOS or not.

If you cannot see the storage drive then your Gigabyte SATA/IDE Controller chip may have went bad on you and you would need to RMA the board or buy a SATA DVD drive if you do not wish to RMA

Comment

If it was just the IDE controller I would go with a SATA drive, but with the LAN ports not working either I will go the RMA route.

Thanks for your assistance in trying to get this right.

Comment

Hey, you do have the latest Intel Chipset drivers installed right? If not, that may be the cause of all of this and sorry for not asking before now, here is the latest >>>
            Software License Agreement

If so, then ya a RMA may be in order

Comment

Working...
            X