Speedfan and UD3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedfan and UD3

Speedfan seems to read the main temps and voltages just as accurately now as the latest versions of coretemp/realtemp etc(for me).
    What Im wondering is what is Temp2 on the rhs of the speedfan panel.

1st is gpu temp,seems accurate
    The next is labled as temp 1 for me this is 33* and goes up to 37 under load.
    It seems to be the mbrd temp.
    Then there is Temp2 this is around 28* idle and under full primeblend load it goes up to 52*.
    What temp is it reading exactly?
    If there is no nb temp sensor what is it reading?
    Is it from a point very close to the northbridge?
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Re: Speedfan and UD3

Temp #2 is normally the CPU temp. You could verify that by looking at the CPU Temp in Easytune or Everest under load and see that it is the same

Comment

I had a suspicion it might be,and I loaded easytune just to see(I dont use it tho).
      The temperatures match :(
      It seems a waste tho,since you can get a temperature reading for each core.
      So only 2 readable temp senosrs and apparently the hdd temp?
      It looks like its back to the stick your finger on it to test for the NB.

If I was to get a thermocouple and drill the nb hs according to the intelchipset specsheet,is there any"attachment point" for the wires on the mb to get a software reading?
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

The temp sensors on my e8400 stick at idle, one at 34c and the other at 38c. So Temp2 in Speedfan gives me the most accurate idle temp. Then you can make sure your core temps are accurate because they should be about 5c higher than Temp2 under load.
        **thepieguy**
        CPU : Core2Duo E8400 @ 4.0Ghz, 1.2625v (BIOS)
        Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX
        Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
        CPU Cooler : Xigmatek HDT-S1283
        RAM : OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 800 4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ2RPR800C44GK
        Video Card : Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4830
        Optical Drive : LITE-ON iHAS122-04

Comment

hmm the temp 2 since it seems to be the main cpu one is of v little use to me .The core temps go from 42-38-38-37 approx at idle to 66-62-61-60 approx full load with case cover on.
          Right now at idle the "cpu" temp is showing 25.
          In that case it is running approximately 9* warmer than the oat currently 16* but for overclocking the core temps are all i need,the extra cpu temp isnt doing anything for me.

Edit:Im going to drill the hs as per the intel instructions and use the opportunity to apply some thermal paste instead of whatever is under there.Im not sure what to use to secure the sensortho araldite/superglue?.
          I think ive found a sensor that will have an lcd external reading.Id like to put one on/near the ram too.
          The ram seems to be built like a rock,even tho it wont run over 25% overclock and if im going to try "blow your ram up voltages" Id like to know how hot its getting.
          Last edited by kick; 03-26-2009, 08:25 PM.
          Current Systems:

Comment

Yeah I would think the core temps will typically be the most useful!
            **thepieguy**

Comment

I realize that this is an old thread, but I have a EP45-UD3R and speedfan and was wondering about a couple of the temps.

My system in winter, with 8800GT:

My system in spring, with HD4830:

I'm not sure what Temp1 is, but I heard from somewhere that its the southbridge sensor?

I have no clue what Temp3 and Temp are.

Temp2 is Tcase, which is a thermal diode somewhere on the CPU. The CoreX temps (Core0, Core1, Core2, Core3) are tjunction, which are digital thermal sensors in each respective core. With modern CPU's, they say that Tcase is around 3-5c cooler than Tjunction throughout idle and load. With tjunction being closer to the cores, it is probably a more accurate reading of the CPU temp.

HD0 is obviously the hard drive I have in the system heh.

I'm pretty sure "GPU" is the 8800GT temp. The "Core" temp was the same as the GPU temp, so it must be another gpu sensor (or the same one?)

Speedfan 4.37 doesn't have any temp info on the HD 4830, so I'm guessing the current version doesn't support it yet.

My E8400 tjunctions sensors appear to lock at 29C when they are less than 29C, as the Tcase reasons. When they are greater than 29C, tjunction seems to work fine. Must be the 45nm Core 2 thermal sensor thing, luckily not as bad as the earlier ones.
              Last edited by riva2model64; 04-19-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I actually have the same setup as you, UD3R, e8400 and HD4830. Mine doesn't show GPU temps either, so I just use the catalyst control center reading for when I was testing overclocks. And furmark's temp readouts. It's interesting that you get two additional temps with the 8800.

My tjunctions (core 0 and core 1) stick at 34C and 38C when at idle, so if I want to know my idle temps I just look at Temp 2 (tcase) and add 5. Then look at core 0 and core 1 for load temps. Temp 3 and Temp never do anything but stick at -2c and 2c on my system so I think they aren't hooked up to anything. Temp1, your guess is as good as mine. I also heard it was somewhere on the southbridge. I just put a fan on the northbridge and used the "finger test" to check its temps while stressing my overclocks since it doesn't appear to have a temp sensor.
                **thepieguy**

Comment

Working...
                X