Newbie Help with New Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Help with New Computer

This is my first message on this form, Hello to everyone, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    1) Background<o:p></o:p>
    I upgraded my digital camera and I now have to process 21-MP-Raw image files with Adobe PSCS4 and Canon DPP3,5 (Both with multi-core support). My old PIV3200 is much too slow.<o:p></o:p>
    2) Motherboard-CPU related questions<o:p></o:p>
    Q1: MB-CPU-Choice: GA-EP45-UD3R for the following reasons (correct me if I'm wrong): 2xeSATA, 1xIeee1394, 3PCI, 12USB with<o:p></o:p>
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 6MB, LGA775 (only affordable Quad-Core to me).<o:p></o:p>
    Q2: Which is the best CPU-cooler: Noctua NH-U12P or the Terminator-thing (Easy Installation IS important to me, and Silence too). Will there be any problems with the Silent-Pipe? <o:p></o:p>
    Q3. Which SILENT Power Supply do you recommend: Coolermaster Silent pRO 500w or 600w<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 15.75pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/ponder.gif" src="file:///C:\Users\Gerard\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>. For the moment I have a Noiseblocker 430W (ATX1) which is too weak I suppose. (with 2-3 Samsung Spinpoint 1T and a Nvidia GT 9500 or less graphics chip) <o:p></o:p>
    Q5: Which DDR-2-RAM 4GB is best: Ocz 1150MHz 5,5,5,18 or Corsair Dominator 5-5-5-15 1066MHz...(any other suggestion is welcome..) <o:p></o:p>
    Q4: Do you have ANY suggestion to improve the above system (without spending a fortune, of course ) <o:p></o:p>
    Kind regards <o:p></o:p>
    Carl<o:p></o:p>

Re: Newbie Help with New Computer

Hi Carl
    I'm new here too, so others may have better advice, but for what it's worth...

Re your processor/RAM choices, have you considered going for quality DDR2 standard (ie 800MHz) memory, as this could improve your CPU budget slightly? Anything above DDR2 800MHz is already overclocked.

What OS are you running? If you go for 64bit rather than 32bit, you can expand way past the 3Gb RAM limit imposed by XP/Vista 32bit versions. This would give you more headroom for your large image files, though it has to be said that older apps and drivers can be a problem with 64bit.

I hope this helps rather than adding to the headache
    Last edited by nortydog; 03-31-2009, 03:18 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

A1: UD3P vs UD3R, both are good mobos. For about $15 more, the UD3P has several additional features that might interest you even if you don't care about Cross-Fire support. Check out the differences. Working with large RAW foto files, you'll probably want to o/c your system. Either of these boards will easily meet your needs.

A2: Noctua coolers are highly rated, offering excellent cooling and are quieter than most. Keep in mind that HS installation often requires the mobo to be removed from the cpu case. You need to verify that the cooler will fit on your mobo without interference and that the overall height will fit in your case. My preference is for a cpu cooler that does not use the Intel push-pin setup.

A3: Don't skimp on PSU quality, it's the foundation of your system. Go with an 80+ energy efficient unit, 600 - 650 watts should meet your present and future needs. Newegg offers some top notch units, often with a rebate and/or free shipping. Seasonic and PC Power & Cooling are two of the top tier companies.

A5: I"ll vouch for Mushkin XP2 series ram. They have an excellent forum to assist buyers, and you can contact tech support via their toll-free phone number. They are very responsive in the forum and when calling. DON'T buy their ASCENT series if you are going to use more than 2 memory modules, as the mobo slots on the Gigabyte boards are too close together if you're going to fill all 4 memory slots. Right now, my XP2-8500 set is only $3 more expensive than their XP2-6400 set. Check out their memory at Mushkin 2x2GB Memory @ Newegg, and read the user reviews. G.Skill memory is probably the most popular memory in the TT forums. OCZ and Corsair seem to have a fair number of issues. This isn't meant to start a flame war, it's just my perception.

A4: DDR2 vs DDR3 memory. The price differences are shrinking, but DDR2 is still the mainstream champ. This is important because the most popular mobos will get much higher priority for bios updates to deal with present and/or future issues.

2 years ago, I bought a Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 mobo which was not a big seller. It shipped with F6 bios and ended with F8. This board had issues, just like any mobo, but I felt abandoned with the lack of fixes.

If you're looking for new hard drives, check out the Western Digital WD BLACK series, which are 50% faster than my 2 year old WD drives.

My ASUS VH242 24" wide screen monitor is excellent, priced less than $250, and usually has free shipping from Newegg.

If you're thinking of a new computer case, check out Cooler Master's
      CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP). You can install up to 7 120mm fans, 5 of which can use 140mm fans. It's fairly large, good looking, and keeps my system cool.

Last edited by profJim; 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

on1.
        UD3R should be fine,P gets more bios updates :
        There are cheaper quads than the 9400,I assume you mean thas the highest you can afford.

on2.
        The cooler I use is rated one of the quietest and one of the best.It does need the mbrd out for installation tho.If I come across the cooler db comparison review again ill link it.

on3.
        430w too weak?,depends, and thats related to your cpu gx card and hdd selection and the fact you are buying a cooler.You are going to overclock the cpu/memory?
        My cpu with a 9500gt and 3 hdds(if i wasnt overclocking) Id feel happy enough with a 430w.Perhaps with a mild oc id be ok also.
        The 9500 is the "best" nVidia that doesnt need a seperate gx card 6 pin power lead.Is that why you were thinking of it or is it price,or do you already have it.
        If you dont,u might consider a passive cooling gx card sometimes the gx fans are noisy at speed.
        Then again a card like mine which is an upgrade on the 9500 might actually be drawing less power thru the pci slot because it needs a seperate power connector..
        Anyway as above and since u will be overclocking(a bit) get the 500 you are thinking of at least or the 600 quiet one.If buying new make sure there is an 8 pin cpu supply for the UD3 and at least one 6pin gx card lead.

on5
        1100 ram?are you thinking of big cpu oclocks?
        My Gskill ram is ok up to 1000mhz its at its best around 900-970 tho..Some of the higher speed ram doesnt run that well below their rated speeds.I dont mean it wont run,just that they dont allways like tighter timings.
        I know mine works and proJ above knows his works :).
        Try and work out what speed you would like the cpu to run at and get some memory that is supposed to run well on a 2.4/2.66 multiplier at that speed or (1:1)
        Bear in mind there arent many people running quads on these boards on air above 500fsb and more strain/volts=more heat/more fan noise.

on4
        Aside from what was said above,if you are using the fan headers on the mboard ,aside fromthe cpu,the only fan that is speed regulated is the sys-2 fan.
        Probably have a nice 120mm on that,the connector is closest to the lower intake side anyway.
        The other fans get quiet ones,no point in having a low noise cpu fan if you cant even hear it at full speed cos of a noisy system fan
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed answers

1) I bought the "R"-version, because the P version was out of stock at
          my local dealer's shop. And yes, the Q9400 fitted best in my budget.

2) My dealer told me it was an expensive cooler but very silent (I need silence in my office).

3) My dealer told me 430W was enough. I thought about this card indeed because it is cheap and Vista compatible (as I am no gamer). In fact I bought the zotac 9400GT zone edition with passive cooling.
          Now for the connectors I don't know what you mean: I have an Standard ATX PSU with a 20 PIN molex for the MB and a 4PIN for PIV. Do I need additional connectors?

4) I will try out your settings. I also tried to get Mushkin-Ram but my dealer only had corsair dominator 1066 in a 4 GB Kit. I hope it will be OK

5) I have two 120 mm system fans: 1 in front cooling the HDD's an one at the back, both very quiet (Noiseblocker SX2).

Again, thanks for your response

Carl
          Last edited by carldall; 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: Forgot sthg

Comment

Helllo thank you for your help

There's nearly no difference in price between 1066 and 800 RAM.
            Im running winxp/Vista 32bit and I know about the 3GB ram limitation but as you said, I'm afraid of Software/Driver problems .
            Thanks,
            Carl

Originally posted by nortydog View Post
            Hi Carl
            I'm new here too, so others may have better advice, but for what it's worth...

Re your processor/RAM choices, have you considered going for quality DDR2 standard (ie 800MHz) memory, as this could improve your CPU budget slightly? Anything above DDR2 800MHz is already overclocked.

What OS are you running? If you go for 64bit rather than 32bit, you can expand way past the 3Gb RAM limit imposed by XP/Vista 32bit versions. This would give you more headroom for your large image files, though it has to be said that older apps and drivers can be a problem with 64bit.

I hope this helps rather than adding to the headache

Comment

on 3
              Since your keeping the old psu,its moot.the 4 pin should do as your cpu isnt exactly a power hog also you wont need a gx connector.
              If you had been buying new,it would have been better to get 8 pin cpu and 6 pin gx card lead just in case.oh n hey gl on it!
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Coming from Stone Age...

So I have to find an adapter 20pin---> 24PIN and 4PIN---->8PIN

Isn't this risky....

Better buy a new PSU and be sure no harm will be done to the board...

Carl

Comment

ahh..yes ,I see what you have now ( I think)on your old psu.I assumed from reading originally it was 24 + a 4 lead.
                  you have a 24 pin or (20+4) pin all in one block plug for the mbrd?
                  There is no seperate plug with purely yellow and black wires?
                  Sorry I thought you had a full 24 pin main plug + a 4 pin cpu plug,for the top lhs of mbrd socket.
                  You will need 28 pins minimum to plug directly into the mbrd,ideally 32.
                  Sure you could get adapters (probably),but id go back to local dealer guy..and say something like "goodness gracious me/or similar" this mbrd isnt going to do anything with the psu you said would be sufficient.
                  Get a psu off him for trade price,because of his incompetence.. tho you dont put it exactly like that naturally :0
                  If he doesnt have any decent quiet psu's,you may have to get something from newegg or whatever your mail order supplier is,but Id get something out of him..or leave the parts back and get em all from a discount supplier.

On the psu.. yeh get a new one no point in pratting around with adapters,making sure the power is coming off the cpu side of the rail etc.
                  Get one with 32 pins to connect to the board and at least one gx card connector supply .oh and 3 sata power connectors at least for u.
                  I have a link for a $20 480w psu with 28 pin connect to mbrd..6 pin gx, etc,but i wouldnt recommend it to anyone unles they were v hard up/just wanted a backup psu.

Make sure the new psu has a 120mm fan in it,theyre genarally quieter (moving the same volume of air at lwr rpm).
                  Last edited by kick; 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM.
                  Current Systems:

Comment

Well,
                    I ordered one with all the connectors you said (I hope). It has 500W and a 135mm Fan:
                    M/B 20+4 Pin Connector 1
                    CPU 4+4 Pin 1
                    PCI-E 6+2 Pin 2
                    4 Pin Peripheral 5
                    SATA 6
                    4 Pin Floppy 1

Except I did pay the full price.....well...

I will get all the components on saturday, hoping everything will work.
                    I will keep you informed.
                    Thanks again for all the feedback
                    Carl

Comment

fingers xed etc.
                      Current Systems:

Comment

Well here are the results:

Installed win xp prof. SP3 with ICH 10R driver on the floppy: no problem
                        Installed all motherboard drivers (chipset/ realtek sound and LAN) without any problem.
                        Installed Geforce Nvidia driver: OK
                        All 4 HDD installed on intel Sata Connectors (in ACHI mode): no problem
                        Scanner, 2 Printers, 1Webcam all OK
                        Software: Canon software/drivers Office 2003 Photoshop CS4, Nero lite, IE8, wmp11, QT 7.6 Acobat 9.1 etc all OK

I had no errors during install and no errors or freezing after.

Now I tried to install win Vista Enterprise on a 100GB partition created for that purpose (on a different HDD then winXP)

-Win Vista installed without any Problem: no freezing, no errors.
                        Dual boot worked as "advertised" letting me choose the operating system.

So what went wrong:

I can install SP1 for Vista but it doesn't reboot anymore after the installation.

First attempt:
                        a) Installed Vista from DVD---> OK (i didn't modify anything)
                        b) Installed Intel (vista) chipset driver, Realtek LAN Driver, Realtek Audio driver (latest version from manufacturer) and I rebooted--->OK
                        c) Installed SP1 from a file---> Installation went fine until the last reboot where the green moving vista start up bar never ended. (I didn't manage to have the desktop screen)
                        Second Attempt:
                        a) I disconnected everything (except what I need to run) the computer: scanner, printer etc
                        b) I installed vista normally.--->OK
                        c) I ran automatic windows updates (more than 80 updates) with restarting a several times.---->OK
                        d) I installed SP1 through windows update and after rebooting I had the same problem: It didn't start up.

So now what else can I try: I don't have an vista SP1 installation DVD

Microsoft

Waiting for windows 7:

Carl

Comment

I found the solution:

I didn't install the nvidia driver package before installing sp1.

Do I have to install the GSata driver without using the connectors?

Carl

Comment

Working...
                          X