Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    Intel E8500
    HIS HD4850 1024MB DDR3 PCI-E X16 VIDEO CARD
    GEIL 4096MB DDR2-1066 PC-8500 240-PIN DDR2 RAM
    GIGABYTE G POWER II PRO CPU COOLER
    PIONEER DVR-216D SATA DVD-RW DRIVE
    Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000w
    XP Professional

I have just built a new system. I have encorporated my existing hard drives into my system. These drives were working perfectly before I took them out of my old system. My problem is when I boot the system it will POST but will not go past "verifying DMI pool" even though the verification is OK. I have tried using 1 memory stick but no diff

erence. This seems to be a problem with this board. The BIOS recognises this drive correctly. It is set to default values. I can't see why it will not go past this screen as the board is recognising that xp exists as shown by the "boot" option screen.

Any help would be appreciated as the PC is currently useless. I have also tried another IDE drive I have with xp and it booted fine.

ken

Re: EP45-UD3R loop after post

Will it boot with NO Hard drives connected, you should be able to get to the "NO OS FOUND" or similar message if your board is ok

What board are you moving the drives from anyway? If it is not ICH10R based then that is likely also part of your issues, although you can move from ICH9R to ICH10R I just thought I would point that out as a possible cause. That is why I wanted you to check how it acts with no disk

What BIOS are you using?

Ahh, sorry I reply as I read... So you have one disk that works right but one that does not eh? What board is this non functional disk coming from, and how was the OS Setup on the last board (RAID/AHCI/Normal)?

What ports do you have your Disk you are having a issue with connected to (Port # and color), and what settings do you have set in the Integrated Peripherals page of the BIOS? >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Comment

I have booted with no hard drive and get "boot from cd/dvd. Disk boot failure". I am moving the drives from an ABIT AV8 but as the disk I put into my old machine is running identical xp OS I can't see it will be an issue as the new disk from my old machine acted exactly the same. They are both IDE drives. The peripherals setting is as you posted with no luck. When booting the BIOS shows correct mem and correct H/D. A bit of a mystery is why is is sitting down in slot 4 as Master instead of 0. The drive was setup as Master/normal in my old computer.

Comment

Ahh well those are not so much settings for you, but rather asking you what your settings where.

This is what you need set if you are using IDE Drives >>

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled (IDE MODE for anything SATA)
        SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
        Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

The Standard CMOS labels do not matter, it would appear like that because all the other slots for SATA Are above the IDE ones so that is why it appears to be fourth

Your Old board install is the issue here. You cannot move OS Installs to new board just like that, and especially from AMD based to Nvidia. You will Have to do a format and clean install

Comment

so there is no way I can use my old OS install on a new board, why? If this is so this is probably the problem

ken

Comment

No, not at all for the boards you mention. Sometimes you can, but it is never advised. Those times would be like moving from P35 to P45, or X38 to X48. But never from AMD to Intel or Visa Versa.

So ya, I would imagine that is likely the only issue. So you will just need to backup your data you need and do a clean install is all

Comment

Working...
            X