• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICH10R Raid 5 with 6 40Gb disks - Creation

Sorry if this has been asked before,
    I just got a new mobo: GA-EP43-DS3LR.
    I have 6 sata type drives attached.
    Drives are seen by BIOS in the BIOS config menus.
    Drives are seen by the RAID creation menu (ctrl-i).

now this may make me sound stupid but,
    once I have selected the raid type and the disks to be included in the array, do I just quit the raid menus completely or wait for the status to change from initialize to something else?

If its wait, any idea how long for?
    Thanks

Re: ICH10R Raid 5 with 6 40Gb disks - Creation

After you choose disks included you should have to choose the Array size and stripe size, maybe not with RAID 5? Then quit and reboot, no initialization wait should be needed as there is no data on the disks to verify equivalency against

After you reboot you should see all 6 disks show up on the IRQ Screen as controlled by the RAID BIOS and Member disks

Comment

Thanks, I wondered if some form of formatting was required during the creation process.
      I'll post later with progress.

Comment

Looks like all you do in the boot stage is determine what type of raid you would like then just exit.
        Picking the right driver during os install was a little tricky, 2 options so obviously I picked the wrong one first.
        All seems well at the moment.

Comment

I do not believe it formats upon creation, it just marks out the Array tables and parameters and it is done. That moves all data out of alignment anyway so a format would not be needed anyhow.

Ya, ya gotta watch what drivers you install, always!

Sounds like you are all setup then right? If so, great to hear aside from that driver mishap everything else went as planned!

Comment

Working...
          X