GA31M-ES2L<-- Is this OC able?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA31M-ES2L&lt;-- Is this OC able?

If you have EasyTune installed you can check the target PCI-E freq in Tuner -> Advanced tab.

So you at 377MHz FSB now? what flops and temps you have?

Finding a P45 board now is not an easy task nor it worth the money IMO.
    Another cooler? You are with the CM Hyper 212+ now? maybe add a fan t it. Having to buy a new fan to my case I boat a 110 CFM fan and installed it on my cooler and use the cooler fan for the case, that alone took my temps down 3c.

Comment

No, currently my highest stable FSB is 343 with PCI set to 103, with gflops around high 21 range. Eariler when I had PCI set to auto I was able to hit 377fsb but it crashed after 2 ITB passes but gflops were around 23. Then I read many of those links/forum threads that said that Gigabyte's 'Auto' pci setting was dangerous since it was a liner rise in frequency with FSB and I'm not looking to fry anything...yet....

I have ET6 installed, so I'll check out those features and will try another 120mm fan piggybacked on the CoolerMaster 212 Plus...

BTW, what are YOUR coordinates? JK, I don't have time to research it, where do you live? If you do decide to get rid of the 7500 I might try it out w/my current setup to compare results...

Thanks
      Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
      Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
      OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
      EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
      CoolerMaster Centurion case
      OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Originaly I intended to give my mom the E7200 system so I bought the E7500, but she bought herself an i3-2100 system instead.
        The E7200 seems to OC better than the E7500, only thing that limits me is temperatures so I am keeping it for myself.
        I don't mind trading the E7500 but I need the second CPU, I got plans for it LOL.
        It may require high vcore though, at 3.825GHz I had to set 1.4125v in BIOS, and at idle/load it was like 1.39v I think. It's Idle temps were lower (with all sleep states enabled) and load temps also about 3-5c less than the E7200.

Do can you bot with 377MHz FSB and PCI clock set to 100?

Comment

I'm still looking for an FSB hole but till I find it, nothing above 343FSB works with PCI locked to 101-103. Only with Auto....seems to be a limiting factor with this board for super high OC, just isn't built to do it properly. The few that had higher overclocks (26%+) used Auto but were warned about board damage. The others swapped to P45 boards....I'm just a couple of years to late to do that cheaply lol....still might do it or try out a current AMD budget setup. I'm a glutton for punishment haha!!
          EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
          OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

I was asking about a 100, not 101-103. And did you check what it's set to by auto?

Comment

I'll have to recheck, just got back in after being gone all day....I ran scores of combinations but didn't write them all down initially so I'll do some more runs later and see...
              EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
              OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Even at 333MHz which is overclock already see what target frequency of PCI-E is in ET6.

Comment

Here are the results at 333 and 377FSB though 377 was only stable with IBT for 2 passes and with 1.36v at idle/1.344v under load during IBT according to CPUZ:

377 FSB

So does this confirm that PCI is absolutely staying locked at 100 by the Gigabyte MIT 'AUTO' function? No damage?

Am I basically at a CPU voltage wall with idle hitting 1.36v? I don't want to overstress the CPU, especially if you want it lol...
                  Last edited by aggiefan; 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM.
                  EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                  OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

This the highest stable FSB test so far at 363FSB which passed IBT: That 1.36v in CPUZ is idle, under load is 1.344v:

Not sure what else to try though except maybe FSB between 366-400 in 5mhz sections or tighten timings slightly since I'm still under its rated freq and this particular ram has been tested as OC'ing up to nearly 1100mhz...
                    Last edited by aggiefan; 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM.
                    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

It may not be registering correctly in Easytune, best to verify what auto sets the PCI to with SetFSB
                      SetFSB_HomePage

You could also test 104-108 and see if that lets you take the FSB higher, if so then you know auto is raising the PCI as you push the FSB. See here, 400 FSB sets 140+ PCI
                      Questions on GA-G31M / E8400 overclock - [H]ard|Forum

As for using SetFSB, you'll need to get out the board and look at the PCB to find what clock generator is used on the board, it's usually near the CPU socket (Let me know if you need pics of what to look for, if the ones below don't work for you). Actually, see the above image, the one shown is probably the right generator for you to choose, you can verify that by setting 100 manually, and check with FSB at stock. Clockgen may also be RTM875T-587

Comment

Thanks dude!
                        Found it, RTM875T-587....

Ok, it takes a PCI frequency of 106 to post and boot into Windows though I haven't run IBT or anything....SETFsb shows that at 363FSB with PCI set to Auto, PCI is actually 110.xx, yikes!

Guess no high FSB for me

Check out this review toward the bottom when they tested the e7300 with the g31m-es2l. It wouldn't post above 350 for them...

Basically the reviewer says the board is great for low FSB (ie 5200) CPUS but is bad with high FSB CPUs like mine. Looks like the nail in the coffin!

Hey Chike, what's the fastest I could theoretically go without damaging my components (mb/graphics card,etc) w/the e7500?

Jeremy
                        Last edited by aggiefan; 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM.
                        EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                        OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

E5700 has 11 ,ultiplier, choose yoour FSB limit and that's what it is.
                          Mime did 3.825GHz with 1.425v ste in BIOS if I am not mistaken and LLC enebled.
                          At 333MHz FSB it will clock to 3.66GHz which is not bad at all.

Comment

Well are you ready to do this then? If you prefer you can PM me the details but I need to PC down as little as possible since my laptop is on the fritz (old HP zv6130 circa 2005ish) now...3.66ghz would be cool for now until I'm ready to move on to something nastier lol...

I appreciate your help with this project and many thanks to LSDmeasap as well for the great support and info!!

I've seen some sick OC setups with the 7200 which makes me insanely jealous, hitting 4-4.5ghz with more ease than it took me to hit 3.3 haha but I know when I'm beat...
                            EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                            OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

E7200 at 4-4.5 GHz? I'd like to see that.

Comment

Nice to see you were able to test and verify my thoughts! I knew Easytune was wrong, I think it always says 100, even if you set something higher in the BIOS.

Maybe time to grab a X38, X48, P35 or P45 instead of this board?

Comment

Working...
                                X