Re: GA31M-ES2L&lt;-- Is this OC able?

OK, lets try this again!

Memory info for anyone needing to check things out
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Dual Channel - OCZ

Try these settings and see how it goes!

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]  << Set 0.0 for now, later you can add back that 0.5, just want to get 333 FSB going first
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]  << Set 101-103, most budget chipsets this helps with FSB overclocking
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50A]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

[B]Performance Enhance = [Standard][/B]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4 or auto is fine
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-6 or auto is fine
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-10 or auto is fine
    [B]Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42-54 (Set 54 first, lower later)[/B]
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5 or auto is fine
    Static tRead Value_______________ 6/7-9 (Set 9 at first, lower later)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V-0.400V] = 2.1-2.2V (2.2V EVP memory)
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    [B](G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V-0.3V] [/B]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.18-1.38]  << You'll need to find what your CPU needs for 333 FSB, or keep trying with auto, keep an eye on temps if still using stock cooler

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Ok, I'm trying your settings though my BIOS (MIT) doesn't have PCI-E Overvoltage Control or MCH Overvoltage Control, C2/C2E or C4/C4E.
      Also, CPU Voltage Control is limited to Normal or a specific voltage but I've been reading numerous threads across different forums where most were able to hit 3.2ghz on stock voltage so I guess starting with 'Normal CPU Voltage Control can't hurt'. It also seems that everyone with this board had to set PCI Express Frequency to 'Auto' to get things to work but I'll report back how things go with your suggested settings. Thanks Lsd...

So far so good, here's a couple of screenshots:

Actually, I forgot to disable EIST and C1E at first and after reboot noticed that VID CPU temps were 1.12 lol. But the above screenshots are with both disabled.
      Last edited by aggiefan; 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM.
      Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (doesn't like to OC high FSB chips)
      Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF
      OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 800mhz SLI Ready 2x4gb 5-4-4-15 2.1v
      EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
      CoolerMaster Centurion case
      OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

What was running when you took the screenshots? 52c at idle are very hot.

Comment

I'm not really sure why the temps are at 52. I wonder if I should use try another temp monitoring program just to confirm.
          When the screenshots were taken, there were a few programs running like Firefox with a bunch of tabs, an HP printer utility, AnyDVD and a Logitech Device utility.

EDIT: Just as an aside, BIOS Pc Health reports 29-30C degrees...I also used some compressed air and vacuum just to make sure that everything was clean. I also pointed a fan at the open side of the case and no difference so cooling is good (stock Intel fan plus 2 large side/rear CoolerMaster fans). Ambient room temp is about 68F or 20-21C degrees.

It's been 3 years since I built this PC so I have no idea if it's run this hot at idle the entire time though the only thing I can think of is inadequate paste job? I used AS5 and was careful to put a very thin even coat on everything that needed it. FWIW, I returned everything back to stock settings to compare and the PC runs the exact same temps according to RealTemp and CPUID so the light OC doesn't seem to be generating much more heat.

The fairly low VID of 1.18v is pretty good for OC, isn't it?
          Last edited by aggiefan; 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM.
          EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
          OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Intel stock fan is not much of a cooler, this may be it, or the thermal paste, which one do you use, and have you ever remount the cooler without reapllying thermal paste?

Comment

EDIT2: I found an old build thread of mine elsewhere and I did not use AS5. The stock Intel HSF had a few patches of preapplied paste/compound so I never used the Arctic Silver. I just attached the Heatsink to the CPU and left the OEM paste. Could this be why the idle temps are high? Do you think I should remove the Intel fan and Heatsink and clean the HS and cpu then reapply Arctic Silver paste?

And are you referring to the stock CPU Heatsink fan? Is there a particular unit that's recommended on a budget, like under $50? I don't feel like tearing the unit down to repaste the computer as time is at a premium right now but should I run a stress test on the computer at the mild OC of 3.0ghz to see how temps still look? I'm not looking for 4ghz or anything (at this point) but would like to hit 3.2-3.6 if possible w/o too much stress. I'd like to see how temps look before having to repaste the CPU/Heatsink even if I only shoot for about 3.2ghz or so...

EDIT: After a good bit of googling (e7200 temps), it seems that this chip has a rep of running high 40s-low 50s at idle and stock speed with the stock Intel HSF and only a few degrees cooler with aftermarket. I'm still going to look for a 3rd party HSF...
              Last edited by aggiefan; 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM.
              EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
              OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

I see Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus is under 30USD, not a record breaking HS but you are not going to anyway.

Comment

Ya, those 212's are sometimes $20-25 shipped if you look around, and they're better than the stock cooler for sure but really only good for minor overclocking, but that's what you have in mind so it would be a good choice.

If you are willing to spend $40-50 then there is much better choices, all depends on what you want to spend.

So, aside from the temp concerns, how did the overclock go previously?

Comment

I didn't run prime yet but just running Firefox with about 12 tabs loaded, virus scan and letting a DVD play, no glitches at all. Max temps were around 55-56, a couple more than idle. Also as a reminder, these are the exact temps the according to RealTemp as at stock speeds. If a $40-50 cooler makes a noticeable difference, I'll do it, no problem. I don't plan on upgrading this desktop for some time since I use my laptop more for daily mess.

EDIT: Ok, something's not right and I think I may have to install a new HSF before continuing. I put the BIOS settings back to stock and decided to run Prime95 to see what temps are at stock speed. I didn't let it run and just happened to open CPUID and it showed E7200 temp as 79!!! System was around 68degrees.

Something has to be very wrong, correct?!? Is the stock Intel Heatsink Fan paste/cooler that inadequate? I left the stock applied paste on the HSF and I know for a fact that all 4 push/twist HSF pins engaged properly and the CPU was installed correctly.

Should I order a good cpu cooler, clean the CPU (have 91% rubbing alcohol), apply the Arctic Silver 5 paste (ball bearing size drop in middle) and then run Prim95 on the stock speed/settings again before trying for any OC? And since I'd like to get a decent OC, up to 3.6ghz but less if practical, I don't mind spending $40-50 if it's worth it.

Thanks fellas

Jeremy
                    Last edited by aggiefan; 02-11-2012, 04:24 PM.
                    EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                    OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

There are better thermal pastes than AS5 now, see what's best here and here.
                      You can clean with aceton but final cleaning with alcohol and non residual cloth.

My new hero is Thermalright HR-02 Macho which you can get for 40USD on amazon.
                      It gets very good reviews (note the need for a special screwdriver).
                      It's shape is a bit odd, and it is high (162cm) but I think it should still fit a mid-tower, measure the clearance from CPU to the left panel.
                      "Super 5": Super-Coolers on LGA 2011 Platform. Page 3 - X-bit labs
                      Thermalright Macho HR-02 CPU Cooler High-Performance Heatsink Review by David Ramsey

Comment

Thanks Chike, one other question though: I've read where some say the BIOS PC Health temp reading is the one to go by but is that the case? I say that because PC Health shows the cpu temp as around 30C degrees, vs 52C degrees according to RealTemp/CPUID. So which should I go by? I've also read sites that say the 45nm C2D temp reporting is not accurate so I'm a little confused. Is my CPU running too hot for sure? Should I trust the BIOS temperature readings or CPUID/Realtemp?

Thanks, and I'll look at that cooler. I want to order something by tomorrow or Monday at the latest...
                        EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                        OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Last edited by Chike; 02-11-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Now I read conflicting info on applying paste/TIM. Do I apply to BOTH the CPU and bottom of Heatsink fan (arcticsilver suggests a strip down the core of the cpu) or just one or the other?

I think since I have a potential heat problem, I might as well install a new cooler and apply a quality paste and then start with measuring stock temps/speeds and then go back to trying the OC.
                            EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                            OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

The goal is to apply the least amount of TIM to provide a very thin coating that covers the surface of the cpu. Too much TIM will increase temperatures. I subscribe to the small grain of rice amount when you are NOT using an HDT (heatpipe direct touch) type of cpu heatsink.

Check out:
                              BenchmarkReviews: Best Practices for Thermal Interface Material Paste Application Methods and Thermal Grease Patterns
                              and click on the cpu type for the recommended method.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks jim the paste pics were cool and I read the AS directions for the C2D, hence the remark about the 'strip' of paste. I honestly don't remember if I even pasted the CPU side since the 775 Intel stock cooler had some preapplied patches of TIM. I really want to removed the stock HS and see how things look. The stock goop is probably toast with this computer being 3 years old now, though lightly used (not even every day).

But for emphasis, does the bottom of the cooler/fan AND the top of the cpu need paste applied?
                                EVGA 9500GT DDR2 512mb
                                OCZ 500w modular PSU

Comment

Working...
                                X