GA-EX58-UD4P Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD4P Overclocking

I received a 2nd RMA that resolved my crashing issue with high RAM speeds so now I'm looking at my options for going over the current 160BCLK that I have. I know my RAM won't run more than 1650 or so without memtest finding approximately 1 error per 12 hours (less under normal usage,) so ideally I'd be able to go to BCLK 200 and a memory multiplier of 2:8 and be done.

Unfortunately my CPU may not be one of the best batch heat-wise or I need some tips on voltages. Up until now I've been overriding the motherboard and setting the CPU VCore to "Normal" which gives me a range between 1.028 or so and 1.22 (give or take.) This works fine though I think the phases or a cap makes a high pitched noise under load. (Voltage too low for my clock rate of 160*21 = 3.36GHz?)

So I try to set the VCore to 1.3 instead of "Normal" (1.26875) and I boot into Windows and I notice my CPU always runs hot. Around 45C, and even light loads push it up to 50C. And the CPU never drops in temperature. The voltage never varies, and that's what concerns me. Even with the CPU dropping to a 12X multiplier, it stays right up at 1.28V, until there's a load and Vdroop knocks it down a couple tenths. Is this going to be fixed or can I expect this with all X58 bioses, gigabyte or not? I guess my question is, if I end up getting better cooling to combat this, I still don't like the idea that the CPU is being force-fed higher voltage than it needs when it's running at a 12X multiplier. If I could get it to vary like it does with "Normal" that'd be ideal.

Load temperatures are even worse, with maxes at 75C at 1.3V VCore, 82C at 1.35, and 90+ at 1.4.

My build follows...

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (C0 stepping)
    Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD4P
    RAM: OCZ Gold 1600MHz (PC3-12800) -- I run at 8, 8, 8, 24 @ 1600MHz, command rate of 1
    PSU: Corsair HX650 (tested voltages with power supply tester)
    Case: Antec 900-2, which has two front 120mm fans, one rear 120mm, and a top 200mm. Difference between high and low speeds on all of them is only a few degrees at most.
    CPU cooler: Xigmatek S1283V Dark Knight, with OCZ Freeze thermal paste.

And lastly, my ambient temperature, going off how it feels, between 22 and 24C. It definitely isn't warmer than 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning.

I am considering: getting a more expensive cooler, either a TRUE or the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer and doing push-pull with 2 fans (S-FLEX Es? Fs?), switching thermal pastes, and installing the side fan in the case.
    Last edited by Anpheus; 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM.
Working...
X