Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most dangerous voltage for my system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most dangerous voltage for my system?

Re: What's the most dangerous voltage for my system?

The one that kills the most expensive part in it.
    Last edited by Comers; 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM.
    GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
    Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Comment

I don't think you can generalize like that.
      Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 bios 3202
      [email protected].
      CM Hyper 212 EVO blademasters push-pull
      8GB's Samsung 30nm tech ram 1.35v
      EVGA GTX 460 superclocked plus (part# 1G-P3-1372-TR)
      Seasonic X660
      Canada

Comment

Those are all fine but at 4.2 I really dont imagine you need some of them as high as you have them, especially under extreme temps

PLL is really the most dangerous, and you should not need more then 1.84-1.86 for 4.2 or so, but of course all CPU's are different. I can do 4.2 with 2 different i7's with only 1.8-1.84 PLL, and way less then 1.5 Vcore for sure

CPU Vcore 1.5V (1.55 Actual is Intel's Actual Max from the i7 1366 PDF)

QPI/VTT Voltage 1.36v (1.15V-1.35) (1.35-1.5+, all up to your CPU and All other settings. 1.35 Intel Max)

IOH Core 1.32V (1.21 Intel Max, I believe)

CPU PLL:1.88V (1.89 Intel Max, And I Do suggest you keep this under 1.9) Less may often help in stability rather then more

QPI PLL:1.32V (Not sure, I hear Auto/1.1 is fine, but I have to use 1.24+ sometimes)

ICH I/O: 1.58V (not sure)

ICH Core:1.16V (1.21 Intel I believe)
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-12-2009, 12:42 AM.

Comment

QPI/VTT Voltage 1.36v (1.35-1.5+, all up to your CPU and All other settings. 1.35 Intel Max)
          Looking at that data sheet Lsdme, going above the "Absolute Maximum" for Vtt (or any value) is really an "At your own risk" scenario.

In fact somewhere close to those specifications on the Intel Document (pdf) they normally more or less state that.

I hope people who are concerned about their hardware, understand that Anything "outside" the "Absolute Ratings" value wise, run the possibility/risk of damaging that component.

Section 2.10 Page 21
          Last edited by VorLonUK; 04-11-2009, 12:58 PM.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Yes, a overclock of any kind is a "At your own Risk" kinda thing for sure

I have edited my above post to show QPI normal voltage as the way I had it looked like 1.35 was the minimum

Comment

I'm with VorLonUK on this one, VTT is the most dangerous voltage. Even if your chip is below freezing.
              Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

Thank you so much guys!

Very helpfull info, I can't understand why my CPU is so power hungry either, I'm running 20+1X multiplier, testing stability @4.2Ghz (turns out it wasn't stable at all).

Do you have BSOD error codes for Windows XP SP2?

I'll post my current bios profile in another post soon, my last BSOD was nv4.sys I believe, wich is an Nvidia Driver related BSOD, I have 2x280GTX running SLI, they never gave me a problem before...

BTW: I have yet to find a F7 beta bios that does POST once HT is disabled (I've tried F7c and I'm using F7b right now, just my two cents)
                Last edited by PeterW_R; 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I don't have BSOD codes but Google most likely does, a lot of people have had a lot of screens.

Under phase you should have no trouble achieving 4.2, there must be something wrong with your config. Try harder. ;)

Man, i miss the days when i was like 13 and messing up Windows installs. Actually it's not even been that long - only 5 years - but the dual-PIII i am typing on now brings that back. The only adjustments were in pure hardware (jumpers if you had them, or "don't have voltage adjustments? HACK YOUR OWN!!!"), and better cooling = carefully removing the stock sinks off slot 1 PIIIs and building your own. It was way too cool.

Now it's all so simple, just a couple numbers to change... So do your best to change them right.
                  Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

lol!!!!!

I'm gonna do that right now haha

Just check the main gigabyte section for a new thread, I'm posting my current BIOS now!!!

haha

Comment

Working...
                    X