Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3..................Disabled
    No-Execute Memory Protect..............Enabled
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................Disabled
    C2/C2E State Support...................Disabled
    x C4/C4E State Support.................Disabled
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ............Enabled
    CPU EIST Function......................Disabled
    Virtualization Technology..............Disabled (enable for Vmware/Virtual PC)

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect .............Disabled (enable to flash from USB) 
    G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Just upped from an e3110 C0 at 471x8.5. looking for opinions on the cpu itself and looking to do "proper" testing to see if this thing a crappy chip or not, possibly warranting an exchange. thought i had a good chance of getting an E0 . was hoping to at least get back to 471 FSB, and of course look'n for the 4GHz. dont know about my cooling and over all case airflow though (running a mid tower antec sonata) at the voltage that may be required of a C1

the cores of the cpu itself idle a bit strange. at idle core 1-2 = 32-34c and core 3-4 usually 40-36c. the temps seem to even out a bit at load though, currently running prime95 x64 blend about 2 hrs now with temps of 61-58-62-58. is this a definite sign of a weak chip or only an erratic TDJ sensor (mainly idle temps)?

was playing around at same clocks with occt,(large set 45 min stable) and MCH voltage of 1.24. tried 3dmark vantage with GPU at stock and it passed, with the gpu oc'd to 860 core 1260 RAM the machine reboot itself while running just into the 1st test, upped MCH to 1.28v and it made it to test 2 then reboot, upped MCH to 1.34 and passed. haven't done any more testing on this yet, but i do not believe it was a PSU issue as i ran the occt psu test for awhile, less than 5 minutes and there were no issues.

how much of an effect on a stable overclock do you folks think that my raid setup will have? do i need to look at possibly adding more voltage to the southbridge?

i have yet to get by 2 hrs 40 min blend stable, this was with very similair bios settings as above only PLL at 1.5v and MCH ref at default (.76 at 1.2 vtt)

all opinions welcome, and would love to reach 471x 8.5.
    Last edited by vColumn; 04-12-2009, 04:25 AM.

Re: UD3R rev 1.1, x3360 C1, G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, TX650W

had this goin on last night, during the 5 hr test, i had music playing with foobar(flac&mp3) was surfing net and downloading to 1 tb drive at about 800kb/s, all the while priming away on blend. then within 5 mins of p95 shutdown, while surfing and downloading still, i get an instant reboot.

this has happen a few times at various setting close to these which i too believed were possibly stable.

i've read a few responses online pointing toward the LLC being enabled as a cause of this. is that a safe bet or does anyone have a suggestion as to what maybe causing the idle reboot?
    Attached Files

Comment

Um well Lsd runs a xeon I think ,so may have some opinions.My perspective :If Im running prime 95 blend ,I let it run by itself or with a monitoring program or 2 going.
      The idle reboots could be a "gimme a break" mbrd/cpu response?
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

ok, maybe a more accurate description of this reboot is not an "idle reboot", but a reboot that is definatly more present during HDD access.

after the settings above crashed after p95 unload, i reboot with everything the same except PLL @ 1.45. it was late and i was wandering about the idle reboot thing so i let it sit on while asleep. it was still on during the morning, it hadn't rebooted so i ran 2 hrs of p95 x64 small ftt while surfing around the net. i shut it down after 2 hrs and wanted to try out the crysis wars trial. i already had the client unrared on the 1tb drive, i proceeded to install it to the second volume of the 3x320 array, after setting up the install, right when the actual file copying began, instant reboot.

enterd bios and set ICH I/O to 1.63. boot up and begin the install again, after erasing the partialy installed directory. same thing instant reboot. entered bios again and set ICH I/O to 1.67 and the ICH core to 1.3, entered windows and was able to complete the installation. w00t to me, or so i think, about 20 mins into first game, kaboom, instant reboot again....... did my voltage increase of the ICH actually help? lol

help!

the graphics card was overclocked, and the symptoms/"solutions" were very similair to the upping of the MCH to pass vantage i described above.

what to try? with these settings the load vcore in windows is 1.296, with idle bouncing between 1.312-1.296, im really not interested in giving any more voltage to the core considering im on air cooling in a mid tower. i did try with llc off and in order to sustain a load vcore of 1.296 i need to set the vcore to 1.4 in bios and it idles at 1.36, not interested in that either, as i wanted to push the clocks further.

Comment

so, what? no one wants to tell me i got a poopy chip?

Comment

I think MCH that high is hurting you more then helping. I would start by adding more Vcore and Vtt (Set 1.38 Vcore and 1.32-1.34 Vtt) and then see how she acts

I would set your SB Core Voltage to 1.14-1.2 for RAID and ICH I/O to 1.55, I run 1.14 and sometimes more with my setup and I have 3x 250 plus a storage drive. Not sure if all that is needed, but I do think 1.14 helps with that and stabilizing a overclock.

I do advise you keep your GFX card underclocked (Or at normal I mean) for now so you can rule that out as a possible issue for your overclock.

Sounds to me like on your board you should leave LLC enabled, or do a hard mod. That is some serious Droop!

More PLL is needed as well, I would try 1.55-1.6

I would also set Ram voltage to 2.12-2.14 for now, as 2.08 may be only 2.04 and with your ram overclocked you may need it. 2.40B is also pushing the ram at those clocks and FSB.

To get at a higher speed towards 4Ghz I would advise you either use 2.00B or 2.00D or try 2.66D (Using 8.5 CPU multi for lower FSB) as you go higher.

Overall, looks like a decent chip to me, you just need to play around a bit more (voltage wise and w/ loose ram settings) until you find where you want to run 24/7 and then tighten things down.

Pushing 3.6+ as you know on a quad is harder than it is on a dual.

Yeap, I like Xeon's myself!!

Here is the last 24 hour run I made on my E3110 for the Crucial review I did so you can have a gander at ET to see the settings used for 4Ghz (*NOTE, Not fully tweaked or anything like that just some basic settings I used to keep several memory ranges stable easily for review purposes) >>>

Click to Enlarge of course

If you do check out the review you can find several of my Settings at various FSB ranges with ET showing in all of them for this Xeon >>>

Comment

Working...
            X