Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-VM900M (v1.0): BIOS only recognizes 3GB of RAM when there's 4GB RAM installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-VM900M (v1.0): BIOS only recognizes 3GB of RAM when there's 4GB RAM installed

I've just got a new 2GB RAM module (Kingston, 667MHZ) to sum up with the other 2GB RAM module (exactly the same model than the new one i've got) and achieve 4GB RAM but the BIOS only recognizes 3GB at startup and so does the OS.
    In boards' manual, it's stated up to 4GB of RAM is supported.

What's wrong with it?

Re: GA-VM900M (v1.0): BIOS only recognizes 3GB of RAM when there's 4GB RAM installed

Test each module separately.

Also test each slot with only one module on the motherboard.

Examine the second slot carefully to see if something like a particle of paper or something is in it.

Comment

Re: GA-VM900M (v1.0): BIOS only recognizes 3GB of RAM when there's 4GB RAM installed

I Agree with nbnorg, please test each stick individually in slot one and then test each in the other slot separately.

You may have received a faulty stick of ram, or you could have a bad slot on your board

But, being as you are using 2x2GB and the BIOS see's 3GB this may just be the limit of your chipset's ram recognition as some of the 4GB would be taken up by other system resources (Like you see in a 32bit OS)

(Note 2) Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.
      GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-VM900M (rev. 1.0)

Comment

Of course Iv'e tested the modules separatelly and in different slots even before posting here, and both are OK.

As for 3GB recognition being an OS limitation, it's showed during POST that RAM is 3088XXX , when it should be something like 4096XXX

Best regards

Comment

I said some boards chipsets limit ram amount useable/visible "LIKE" OS's do, I was not saying that is was a OS Limit here, just chipset (Like OS)

Some chipsets like yours and I think 945's do that as well as many others I cannot think of off the top of my head. That's why it is noted in your spec's

VIA Chipset used on the board is likely limited to 4GB of address space in total and does not support memory remapping even a 64bit OS will not change that. Also some chipsets do not support double sided ram modules or single sided High density ones, are you sure your sticks are the same exact model since you bought them at different times? Have you tested the new one by itself to be sure it shows as 2GB, just checking on that I do not think this is the issue here only the chipset total addressable ram amount.

Give me a sec, and I will try to find your chipset documentation and see if this is indeed the case, which being a older board I do believe it would apply

Here you can see this info noted for P4M900 chipset board, no matter the OS. Ill be back in a sec once I grab your Via Chipset doc's if I can find them >>
          Due to the chipset limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows XP, Windows XP 64-bit, Windows Vista and Windows Vista 64-bit

Same also noted here at Newegg for another board, same chipset >>

Posted by ZS Look for the one dated 7/20/2008 12:02:07 PM incase it does not bring you to the correct page

Supports only 3Gb of memory, NOT 4Gb (Tried everything (I have PC2 5400 x 2, 2GB Dual CH = 4Gb)) Trust me !!!
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ords=(keywords)

Hey, do you have your onboard GFX Enabled, this would also take away from the total amount? Disable this or lower it and see if you see more in the BIOS then after a reboot. Clearing your CMOS could also help
          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-17-2009, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Sorry, They do not list any Documentation for Chipsets that old.... Here is the only page/pages they have for it >>

I do believe this is the issue, chipset limitation

Comment

Doooh! Found a updated Manual for your board with a Updated "Note 2" >>

Page 11

(Note 2) Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount. For example, 4 GB of memory size will instead be shown as 3.xxGB memory during system startup
              Uploading now, link in one sec

Sorry about the wait, it's hard to find things for something older such as that. It IS the chipset that is the limitation

Comment

I guess I should have looked in your manual linked on your boards page instead of the older PDF I already have, it is stated in version 1004 of your manual

Seems none of these links work now, at least for me, maybe they will for you later?

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual Download

So I uploaded the one I found for you >>
                motherboard_manual_ga-vm900m_e.pdf

Comment

Thanks for your help.Yes, I've tested the two modules separatelly, and they're both 2GB in size

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                  Hey, do you have your onboard GFX Enabled, this would also take away from the total amount? Disable this or lower it and see if you see more in the BIOS then after a reboot. Clearing your CMOS could also help
                  No, it's disabled.I have a GeForce 9500 GT, so i disabled onboard graphics in BIOS settings

As for the board's manual, I'd already read that note, but I thought they were speaking about a small difference in size i.e. 3.96 GB instead 4GB...
                  But 3.08GB....

Comment

I have the same problem :(

Windows 7 Build 7100 x64

The problem is when the PC starts up, only 2.69

here is my system: (4.00 GB but only 2.69 GB Usable?) How to solve this ?

Comment

I'm on the exact same situation now.

Windows 7 Build 7100 x64

4GB Phisycal RAM and only 3GB available for use

Comment

Originally posted by EXtremiXed View Post
                        I have the same problem :(

Windows 7 Build 7100 x64

The problem is when the PC starts up, only 2.69

here is my system: (4.00 GB but only 2.69 GB Usable?) How to solve this ?
                        Are you using the same board as mentioned in the original post? If so, like I said I found it to be a chipset limitation as noted on page one.

I do believe this is the issue, and you may see less than the OP due to having a larger graphics card and or other peripherals connected?

If you have a older/smaller GFX Card you can test this. With a 256-512MB GFX card you should see maybe 3.0-3.25GB usable

Originally posted by alb3530 View Post
                        I'm on the exact same situation now.

Windows 7 Build 7100 x64

4GB Phisycal RAM and only 3GB available for use
                        What is your GFX card ram size?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Are you using the same board as mentioned in the original post? If so, like I said I found it to be a chipset limitation as noted on page one.

I do believe this is the issue, and you may see less than the OP due to having a larger graphics card and or other peripherals connected?

If you have a older/smaller GFX Card you can test this. With a 256-512MB GFX card you should see maybe 3.0-3.25GB usable

What is your GFX card ram size?
                          RAM is 512MB.

It's a GeForce 9500 GT

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                          X