Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be a sign of DEAD Mobo GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be a sign of DEAD Mobo GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) ?

Hi,

My son's 6-mo old GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) all of a sudden stopped working. First the USB ports that were connected to the front chasis went (meaning, no power or data flowing to), then the whole system went. What I meant by system went down is that the CPU fan no longer comes on nor the monitor gets any input from the board / video card.

I am assuming the CPU and it's fan needs to be energized for the video card to get the signal from the mobo. The system worked fine since I built it for my son in 12/2008 and ran fine until a few weeks ago. My son tells me that he did not do anything to it other than install/de-install few of his games... I do not think this would affect the "hardware" level of the system.

The CPU is Intel E7400 (I think) and the fan is a stock fan that came with the CPU.

The Gigabyte board (GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1), come with ONE year warranty, right? I have the receipt (I bought it form Amazon.com). What is the correct procedure on claiming warranty work/replacement?

Thanks in advance for any assiatnce....

Re: Could this be a sign of DEAD Mobo GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) ?

Originally posted by khfactor View Post
    Hi,

My son's 6-mo old GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) all of a sudden stopped working. First the USB ports that were connected to the front chasis went (meaning, no power or data flowing to), then the whole system went. What I meant by system went down is that the CPU fan no longer comes on nor the monitor gets any input from the board / video card.

I am assuming the CPU and it's fan needs to be energized for the video card to get the signal from the mobo. The system worked fine since I built it for my son in 12/2008 and ran fine until a few weeks ago. My son tells me that he did not do anything to it other than install/de-install few of his games... I do not think this would affect the "hardware" level of the system.

The CPU is Intel E7400 (I think) and the fan is a stock fan that came with the CPU.

The Gigabyte board (GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1), come with ONE year warranty, right? I have the receipt (I bought it form Amazon.com). What is the correct procedure on claiming warranty work/replacement?

Thanks in advance for any assiatnce....

What brand PSU do you have ? check all powers cord ensure firm in place, also try borrow or buy new working PSU plug in and see what happen.

pg
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Originally posted by powergiga View Post
      What brand PSU do you have ? check all powers cord ensure firm in place, also try borrow or buy new working PSU plug in and see what happen.

pg
      Thanks for your input. The Power Supply is a national brand (700w) that I purchased from Microcenter. I am in the office and not at home so I do not know the brand name of the P/W. But it powers up OK and energizes all other pheripheral devices that are currently attached to the power supply. Also the CPU fan attempts to rotate momentarily (like 1/16 revolution) then nothing. This CPU fan worked flawlessly for about 6 months.

Also, all the LED lights on the Mobo lights up full.... if this means anything.
      Last edited by khfactor; 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Maybe try resetting the bios after you make sure all connections are good.
        E7400, Gigabyte P45-UD3P, 2gb Patriot PC28500,
        WD 320 gig HD, Sapphire 4670 DDR4, Corsair VX550
        Xigmatek HDT1283, Antec 300, Xp Pro 32bit

Comment

Yes, please try to clear the CMOS using the method I outline in post #2 here >>

After doing so please try to start the system with only 1 stick of memory in slot one.

How much do you believe your son? Sorry, I had to ask cause you never know who really does what they say they didn't when it comes to computers.

It sounds to me like he may have updated the BIOS, that would change USB Settings so could be why you suddenly lost USB Devices. Do you know what BIOS version is/was in it?

What Power supply are you using?

Your Gigabyte board has a 3 year manufacturer warranty, Amazon may carry a warranty as well outside of the Gigabyte one. So you may be able to have them replace it, if not do not worry as you are covered by Gigabyte for sure.

To make a claim with Gigabyte you need to submit for a RMA and you will be shipping the board to California. This is the US RMA Site >>>
          RMA

As for Amazon, I am not sure of that process but I would call them first to see as they may just ship you out a new board and that would be quicker then a RMA to gigabyte as they will test the board, possibly fix it, and so on. Amazon would just send you a new one after receiving the broken one if you are covered by a warranty there.

You would also have to check with the specific seller you bought from thru Amazon as their policy may differ from the "General" Amazon one

Comment

Thank you LSDME man !! Good to hear back from you. I had communicated with you back in 12/2008 when I was building this very same machine.

First, I do not think my son knows anything about BIOS. I could be wrong, but his hardware knowledge on computer stuff is not that sophisticated. So I do nto think he tinkered with any of that stuff.

2nd. the power supply is feeding juice to all other devices that are connected to it. Mobo LED jewel lights light up, HDDs (3 of them) all starts, case fans all energize, and most of all, the Power Supply fan when activated, the exhaust fan does come on. And just for the sake of it, I yanked this P/S and used it on my machine and it worked.

As for the BIOS resetting or reflashing, I would give it a shot only if I can get the SCREEN to energize or even get the BEEP sound coming from the Mobo. I hear no beep.

And the CMOS clearing, pardon my ignorance, but I fail to see the relationship between the CMOS clearing suggestions and the CPU/ CPU fan not energizing.... Did I miss something somewher?

Could the CPU itself have gone bad?

Mobo -- GA-EP45-UD3R (Rev 1.1)
            BIOS -- (not flashed, original as shipped) I think it is F4.
            Video Card -- EVGA 9500GT
            CPU -- Intel E7300
            CPU Fan -- Stock
            Memory --- 2 GB (2x 1GB) Corsair type DDR2 Speed is 1066
            Power Supply --- 700w

Thanks

Comment

Well if you have installed @BIOS he could have flashed the BIOS. Or yes, he could have maybe by a friends suggestion went into the BIOS and messed around is why I asked

The CPU is powering up or the board would not function at all, that is why I suggested to clear the CMOS.

Do you have another machine you can test this memory and GFX Card in, if so please do.

I do not think the CPU has anything to do with this, if it was faulty it would not power up at all. I mean nothing would come on, lights, fans, ect.

The CPU Fan does not come on? If so, this could be a issue as it may cause the board to not start due to a failed fan. Can you do a QUICK Test, by plugging in any 3Pin fan into the CPU Fan slot and try to start the system to see if that fan spins up or not. If it does shut the machine down. If another fan works there but your CPU fan does not the CPU fan may have died, which could cause it to not boot but I think you would get fan failure warning if you have that set.

So no error beeps at all? Have you disconnected the 24 pin and 4 or 8 pin to the board and reconnected them to be sure nothing is loose? Next thing to do would be remove everything and get the board out of the case and off the motherboard tray and onto a wooden table or cardboard box. Then connect ONLY CPU/Heatsink, one stick of known working ram in slot one, and the GFX Card. NOTHING else, no fans, hard drives, cd drives, ect. This will rule out shorts and or other faulty hardware as a bad drive can cause a non boot as well.

If you still have no luck like that, and you have tested the Ram and GFX card in another system, have cleared the CMOS per my method then you may need to try to blind flash the BIOS if you have a Floppy ALREADY Connected, if not you may be in need of a RMA on the board.

Can you test the CPU in another setup, I do not think this is the issue but just thought if you could it would rule it out for you in your mind.

Comment

Since I bought the Intel E7300 CPU from Microcenter, I took the CPU back to Microcenter and they tested it be to working OK.

These are the other symptoms I also discovered.

CPU_FAN Header -- Anything connected to this header is NOT working. I tried the CPU fan and the case fan to this header, but nothing works.

Sys_Fan #2 Header ---- I tried the CPU fan and Case fan here, and they do not power up either.

Pwr_Fan Header -- The CPU Fan and Case Fan when they were connected to here, they work.

Sys_Fan #1 Header -- When I connected CPU-FAN and CASE-FAN here, they do not work.

All 6-Phase LED lights (2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 green) all light up.

Even when the CPU fan is working, I do not hear any BEEPS... No video signal comes thru to the monitor. I tired the CMOS clearing and same thing.

Comment

Since I bought the Intel E7300 CPU from Microcenter, I took the CPU back to Microcenter and they tested it be to working OK.

These are the other symptoms I also discovered.

CPU_FAN Header -- Anything connected to this header is NOT working. I tried the CPU fan and the case fan to this header, but nothing works.

Sys_Fan #2 Header ---- I tried the CPU fan and Case fan here, and they do not power up either.

Pwr_Fan Header -- The CPU Fan and Case Fan when they were connected to here, they work.

Sys_Fan #1 Header -- When I connected CPU-FAN and CASE-FAN here, they do not work.

All 6-Phase LED lights (2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 green) all light up.

Even when the CPU fan is working, I do not hear any BEEPS... No video signal comes thru to the monitor. I tired the CMOS clearing and same thing.
                  Try swap working other GFX pop in and see what happen.

Check small circle speaker attach to PC sometime it overlook and check negative and positive with 2 pins.

pg
                  Last edited by powergiga; 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM.
                  G

Comment

Originally posted by powergiga View Post
                    Try swap working other GFX pop in and see what happen.

Check small circle speaker attach to PC sometime it overlook and check negative and positive with 2 pins.

pg
                    Thanks for your input...

What do you mean by GFX? Video card? I unseated the video card and re-seated the card just to make sure. I also double, triple checked all connections and they are confirmed seated correct. I had the system working for about 5 months without any problems.....

As for the speaker, I also checked it for proper "seating" and it is confirmed correct.

Exhausted, I contacted the Gigabyte and they are looking at it to see if I needed to return. I am no IT Guru, but when CPU_Fan header and other Sys_Fan header are confirmed NOT working, shouldn't this be the correct justification to have it RMA'd?

After all all Gigabyte boards are warranted for 3 years, are they not? It is inconvenient, but what options do I have now other than return the board and get a replacement board in it's place.....

Thank you for your help...

Comment

Thanks for your input...

What do you mean by GFX? Video card? I unseated the video card and re-seated the card just to make sure. I also double, triple checked all connections and they are confirmed seated correct. I had the system working for about 5 months without any problems.....

As for the speaker, I also checked it for proper "seating" and it is confirmed correct.

Exhausted, I contacted the Gigabyte and they are looking at it to see if I needed to return. I am no IT Guru, but when CPU_Fan header and other Sys_Fan header are confirmed NOT working, shouldn't this be the correct justification to have it RMA'd?

After all all Gigabyte boards are warranted for 3 years, are they not? It is inconvenient, but what options do I have now other than return the board and get a replacement board in it's place.....

Thank you for your help...
                      Look like time for submit RMA since you have 3 yrs warranty for board and if you are willing waiting for shipping and time.

pg
                      G

Comment

Working...
                      X