GA-EP45-UD3R based system will not post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R based system will not post

Have been really enjoying this rig I put together with some quality help from some of the good folks here at TT. Now I'm back at home base here in Honduras and this sucker now refuses to even post. After several months of smooth running it looks like I'm in the ditch. Push the start button and system goes into endless "trying to post" loop. Everything ahs been sweet w/this rig until this morning. (BTW, the six lights on the mobo show: 2 red, 2 amber and 2 green, going from top to bottom) The CPU fan and the case fan start up, but that's all. I'm not happy. Unfortunately I don't have another known good video card to check that out.

System: Antec Sonata II w/550w PSU,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel E8500 (stock speed), HIS Radeon 4570, 4 Gb Munchkin PC6400 DDR2

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R based system will not post

This post and this post too can help solve your problem.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

How did your system move from where you was to where you are now? Was the heatsink installed during this move? And what heatsink is it?

Please let me know all of that, and try Clearing your CMOS while you wait for a reply back. My method for clearing the CMOS is posted in post #2 here >>>

Try that with only one stick of ram in slot one

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        How did your system move from where you was to where you are now? Was the heatsink installed during this move? And what heatsink is it?

Please let me know all of that, and try Clearing your CMOS while you wait for a reply back. My method for clearing the CMOS is posted in post #2 here >>>

Try that with only one stick of ram in slot one
        Greetings LSD-

You were quite helpful to me back in November, when I was putting this rig together, and I hope you will be able to help me out of the ditch here.

To answer your questions: 1-The system was moved here completely assembled in a well padded original Antec carton which I futher padded so that the tower had no room to move and was suspended upon the OEM Styrofoam packing. The heatsink (Arctic Cooling Pro) was mounted. The system has been running flawlessly since early December up until yesterday morning. I will try clearing the CMOS and get back to you as soon as I get the requisite liter of coffeee into my head and get some breakfast.

Thanks much for the quick reply.

Comment

I've cleared the CMOS, removed and re seated the video card and RAM sticks to no avail. Unfortunately the only old video cards I have around are all AGP, so I have no way to check my video card. Still no bloody post.

Comment

Have you plugged in anything new on your USB ports since the move? Do you have USB Storage Function set to [Enabled]? You could try setting that to [Disabled] to see if that works. I started having reboot loops after plugging in my USB devices and disabling that setting fixed the issue. Just a thought.
            Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P - Intel QX9750 3.16GHz w/ Zalman CNPS9500 - OCZ PC3-10666 Reaper HPC (OCZ3RPR13332GK) x4 - Corsair CMPSU-850TX - Gigabyte GV-N285-1GH-B w/ ThermalRight HR-03 GTX - ASUS Xonar D2X - Zalman MFC1-Plus - Antec P182

Comment

It could be lsd has hit on it..
              I dont know the arctic cooling pro but my own heatsink :
              I wouldnt move the pc any more than taking it in the back of the car with the hs vertical.Its mounted well but its v heavy and any bumping etc could easily ..well i dont want to draw pictures.

Reinstall cpu and hs?
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Did you drive the Box, I would assume not right? It went for a flight out of your hands right? If so, yes please remove the heatsink and check for bent pins, as the box was likely tossed around alot and fell off several conveyor belts.

It is never advised to move a system with the heatsink installed, unless it is a shot distance and in your control so you can monitor that it does not get tossed around

Comment

Many thanks to the kind folks who have given me some places to start in running this problem down. While I didn"t have a second pci express video card, I dug up a few *very* old pci cards. I got past post with one of them, and although it won't run XP, the fact that the system posted indicates that my problem is the video card, yes?? **If I'm off base with this conclusion, someone please give me a shout.** Any additional ideas will surely be welcome.

In answer to LSD and Kick, yes I did ship the system with the HS attached. It never crossed my mind to think about the obvious problem there. Stupid! And of course I'm sure American Airlines handled it with tender loving care......right!

Question for Svengali: Where are the USB settings that you mention.??

I guess tomorrow I go out looking for a video card. The RMA process from here in Honduras will eat me alive in shipping costs and safe arrival of anything shipped here other than with a major courier like FedEx, etc., is a crap shoot at best.

Thank you all for taking the time to send the help down. Much appreciated.

Comment

This is a long shot, but your PCI-e card might be OK, but the real problem could be the PCI-e slot or circuit. If the new video card does not work, it's probably a mobo problem.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

This thing gets curiouser and curiouser.

For whatever reason, after getting the system to post using the*old* PCI video card with analog out, I then put the questionable Radeon 4670 back in and hooked it up to the digital port on my monitor. So I now have the monitor ported to both video cards, one to the digital(Radeon), one to the analog(*old* PCI card) and now the system boots into XP. Pretty strange, no?? Both video cards show up in the hardware manager as operationg properly. I guess I'll just have to see if this remains stable. For the moment, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, eh? From my limited knowledge base, it sounds like Profjim may be on the mark...........could be something tweaky on the mobo.

Comment

Working...
                      X