Wierd Freezing issue after OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd Freezing issue after OC

I am having a very strange problem with my overclock, in windows the screen will freeze and my mouse and keyboard will not have power to them anymore and the only way to fix is a reboot. I have a q9650 so I decided to give it an OC. I had resisted the temptation to do so because I thought 3.0ghz quad core who could need more? So I changed the bus speed to 400, then upped the voltage on the vcore to 1.25000, I also upped the voltage on the FSB 0.05. I then changed the ram timings to auto for a 400FSB, this is where I think the problems lay. I dont know enough about latency timings to adjust them manually. Also I upped the voltage +0.2 volts on the ram and then it froze and then I tried +0.25 and it froze again so now I am back down at +0.2. I have disabled the speedstep features and the voltage regulation feature.

Additional info I ran Memtest 2.1.1 for 4-5 hours with 15-20 complete passes with no errors. Also I can run cpu intensive programs such as prime95 for hours with no freezing. This seems to happen randomly like sometimes 4-5 minutes in other times it doesnt happen for hours. Also there are no entries in the event viewer saying what happened before the freeze. This is a very strange problem and I really dont know what I can do to fix it so any help would be appreciated.

System:
    intel q9650 @ 3.6 400x9 1.25vcore
    Corsair x1333 ram timings autoset 10-10-10-26 1:2 ratio
    voltage @ either +0.2 or +0.25
    PSU: Zalman 750 watt w/heat pipes
    Mobo: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 with F6D bios
    Nvidia 9800 gx2 EVGA

Re: Wierd Freezing issue after OC

I just got my board to run at 500MHz last night after a week of failures. What turned the tide? Lots of reading, especially of the suggested BIOS settings. One thing that I think made a difference was the settings that are suggested to be 1/2 the voltage of your memory. Default memory voltage for DDR2 is 1.8, so suto was setting .9. My memory works at 2.1, so I manually set them to 1.05. I am not saying that this is your problem, what I am saying is that you have to research and understand what the settings do and how they interact before you can even begin to establish a solid overclock of any magnitude. There is no silver bullet, although you can reeive many suggestions.
    i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
    Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

I have done plenty of reading about overclocking before I attempted this, my system was running stock for over half a year without any alterations. I have read how to overclock core 2 quads on the internet but their ram timings all involve DDR2 which runs at much lower timings than ddr3. Should I post all of my bios settings for the forum to see? This has happened still today after i searched the forum for "q9650 overclocking" and there is no one with my exact configuration and motherboard. I looked in the solutions for them and they said to increase voltages that are not called the same thing in my bios. One particually was the G(mCH) voltage and I increased that and its still freezing.

Comment

Use the template and post your settings, otherwise, everyone will be, basically, guessing. (G)mCH Voltage is actually (g)MCH Frequency Latch, and is in the BIOS Guide. It locks in a strap to pick memory dividers from, whereas System Memory Multiplier picks the divider and strap. If you are setting your multiplier manually, leave (g)MCH Frq Latch on auto.
        i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Maba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
        Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, Apogee Xt Extreme, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.

Comment

Well I woke up today to a frozen computer, I get all my bios settings and I get 95% done typing them into a forum post and it freezes, needless to say im pissed. Here are my settings.
          <o:p> </o:p>
          Advanced:
          HDD smart capability: Enabled
          Limit CPUID max to 3: disabled
          No-exec memory protect: enabled
          CPU enhanced halt: disabled
          CPU thermal monitor: disabled
          CPU EIST: disabled
          Virtualization: enabled
          Init display first: PEG
          Integrated:
          SATA RAID/ACHI: ACHI
          SATA port 0-3 Native: enabled
          Power management:
          ACPI Suspend type: S3(STR)
          Soft off pwr-btn: instant off
          Pme wakeup event: enabled
          Power on by mouse: disabled
          Power on by keyboard: disabled
          HPET support: enabled
          HPET mode: 64-bit
          Ac back function: soft-off

Comment

MBIT:
            Robust graphics booster: auto
            Cpu clock ratio: 9x
            Cpu host clock control: enabled
            Cpu host frequency: 400
            Pci express frequency: 102
            CIA2: disabled
            Performance enhanced w/: 4.00D
            DRAM timing selectable: auto
            CPU/PCIEX clock driving control: 800mV
            Cpu clock skew control: normal
            G(mch) clock skew control: normal
            System voltage control: manual
            DDR3 overvoltage: +0.25
            PCI-e overvoltage: +0.1
            FSB overvoltage: +0.1
            G(mch) overvoltage: +0.1
            Load line calibration: enabled
            CPU voltage control: 1.23750

Comment

please help I am getting really tired of this rebooting!

Comment

Sorry, somehow overlooked that you were not using a P35 or P45 board. Please, disregard my comment about (g)MCH.
                Any particular reason you are running your PCIe at 102 instead of 100? Migth try 100. CPU Voltage might be a little low for that FSB. Hard to tell without your timings and other voltages.

Comment

my timings are auto set by the board hence the performance enhanced with 4.00D and DRAM timings are set to auto

Comment

as for the voltage for the CPU a lot of different sites i have read about q9650s have gotten upwards of 3.8 on this voltage

Comment

Well, if you don't want to take the time to show what timings the board is setting, and what voltages you are using for the memory, chipset etc, then I am not able to help, nor do I wish to. Good luck.

Comment

Okay so I checked with CPU-Z my timings are posted below in jpg format if you need anything else let me know. As for the voltage, DDR3 runs at 1.5 stock and with my +0.25 i posted from my MBIT that would equal 1.75 volts
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is another pic from CPU-Z
                          Attached Files

Comment

bump

Comment

bump

Comment