Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35C-DS3R Raid Problem

Hey guys,
    First of all I want to say that I'm a noobie to both this forum and to raid arrays, so I apologize in advance.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit with 4 drives attached:
    - 300 GB WD VelociRaptor (SATA) used for the O.S. only
    - 500 GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive (SATA) used for misc. storage
    - (2) 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives (SATA) used for media storage

I am trying to run a RAID 1 (mirrored) array on JUST the two 1.5 TB drives.

This is what I have done so far:
    - I have all of the drives in the yellow SATA connections on the motherboard (South Bridge), none in the purple slots.
    - Went into the BIOS Integrated Properties menu and set the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to "[RAID]". I mise well mention here that I have no clue what the difference is between the RAID option and the AHCI option.
    - After the POST I went into the RAID BIOS setup to configure the RAID array. I created the RAID volume and everything appeared to be fine and was in the "Normal" status.
    - I then went back to the BIOS and made sure the boot order was correctly setup: CDROM --> HARD DRIVE (Main Drive First --> 500 GB Drive --> New Raid Array Called MediaRaid1)

After I save and exit, it appears everything is perfect... it runs through the POST just fine and then goes to the Windows loading screen (the little green bar scanning from left to right). As soon as the bar hit the first scan to the right, I get a instant blue screen and the computer restarts. This continues repeatedly until either I shut the computer off or I hit "DEL" to goes into the BIOS during the POST.

If I disable the RAID/AHCI Mode in the BIOS, the computer starts up and runs with no problems what-so-ever. I have tried switching around the SATA connections on the South Bridge but to no avail.

THE ONLY THREE THINGS I HAVE NOT DONE (that I can think of) ARE:
    - Creating and loading the RAID drivers. From what I have read, this does not need to be done in Vista... only in XP. Also, I do NOT have a floppy drive hooked up to the computer... but I do have a USB drive if that works instead.
    - I have not moved the SATA connections to the purple SATA connectors on the Motherboard (GIGABYTE SATA2 chip) which supports just Raid 0 and 1.
    - Update/Flash the BIOS

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have tried to be as detailed as possible, but if you think you can help out but need more information on something, please ask... I will try to provide info ASAP.

THANKS!

-Dustin
    Last edited by Allgood_73; 05-16-2009, 11:07 AM.

Re: P35C-DS3R Raid Problem

This MS Help and Support web page addresses the very issue you are experiencing. Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Comment

Alright, first of all... thanks for your quick reply!

I have 1 Great news item and 2 bad news items... so I'll start with the bad ones first:
      1) This still does not work in RAID mode.
      2) Somehow one of my 1.5 TB drives got changed and and is only showing up as a 465.8 GB drive. Know how to fix this?

3) In AHCI mode (like I said, I don't know what the difference is) the array works!

However, since I have never messed with a RAID array before... I'm not sure how it's supposed to look in the actual O.S. Should One drive appear automatically? Because right now, the two drives do not appear. If I go to Seagate*DiscWizard I can see the two drives (and like I said, one is appearing much smaller) and I have the option to assign a drive letter to them, etc.

Comment

It appears the 1.5 TB drive showing up as 500 Gigs is common: Seagate 1.5TB HD showing as 500GB

Comment

Do I understand correctly that you are now able to boot to Windows from your VelociRaptor with AHCI setting in BIOS but not with RAID setting?

I am not sure what you mean by "In AHCI mode the array works." Are you seeing the disks in the array in Windows as individual disks or as a single disk?

Comment

I'm sorry, I guess I was confused and thought it worked since it booted up fully when I had it in the AHCI setting... but I guess it did not work. I still have two drives showing in Windows as individual disks.

By the way, I managed to fix the problem with it displaying the incorrect hard drive capacity.

I simply do not understand why it is giving me such as hard time with the RAID.

Comment

If you can't boot to Windows with the SB set to RAID, you may have to connect the VelociRaptor to the onboard controller (one of the purple ports), or alternately run the RAID1 off the onboard.

Comment

Working...
              X