Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS5 dead, yellow overvoltage leds

Hello.

My PSU has burned out today, and after I've put in a replacement - my motherboard doesn't start properly. It's Gigabyte EP45-DS5 motherboard, and when I switch it on - everything starts (like case and even video card fans, hard drives) but the monitor remains dead and there're no signs of any real activity (like working hard drives sounds). Also on the motherboard itself two leds have gone yellow - GD1/GD2 and MD1/MD2, manual says that they mean overvoltage on both PCI and memory.

So far I've tried to take all all cards and switch it on, shuffle memory modules around in the slots, reset CMOS - still no luck.

I guess that it's safe to assume that the motherboard was affected by the burned PSU and is dead, too, but I wonder if there's anything else that's possible to try to maybe get things running again?

Re: EP45-DS5 dead, yellow overvoltage leds

Originally posted by mhl View Post
    I guess that it's safe to assume that the motherboard was affected by the burned PSU and is dead, too, but I wonder if there's anything else that's possible to try to maybe get things running again?
    Yes, it's called "making sure you don't buy generic PSUs again". I guess it's RMA time for your mobo.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      Yes, it's called "making sure you don't buy generic PSUs again". I guess it's RMA time for your mobo.
      Well, I'm not sure that Thermaltake 600W counts for "generic PSU" (it was even not so cheap, as far as I can remember), but I've got your point.

Comment

I used to have a 430W Thermaltake that weighed a lot (usually if it's heavy, it's good), but over two years it progressively got worse and worse until it couldn't even run a P4 with integrated graphics. At first it handled my Extreme Edition 3.6GHz + overclocked 6600GT no problems. Later i found out it was actually a rebadged HEC 350W. Yes it would've made a good 350W PSU, but pushed to the limit it flopped out. And i've heard of a few more cases.

So yea... Thermaltake does count for "generic PSU" in my book. I have a 500W Seasonic and it handles my rig no problem. P35-DS3 E6550 @ 3.67GHz, 8GB Corsair XMS2 @ 1050MHz, vmodded HD3870, a Western Digital 320GB, two DVD drives and 5 fans. I bought it from someone who used to run a Q6600 @ 3.8 and a 9800GX2 on it, that says enough.

When buying a PSU for a modern computer, the amperage on the 12v rail(s) is most important. Some manufacturers still use outdated designs which were built to supply more power on the 5v rail, so they fail when they are put in a configuration that leaves the 5v rail almost unused but requires a lot of power on 12v. And btw, a good PSU shouldn't take anything with it if it fails.
        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-16-2009, 03:23 PM.
        Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with current Thermaltake PSU's. Absolutely any PSU can take out other components when it dies. It depends on how it died. Thermaltake have been dodgy in the past, but have since changed their OEM.

Sure, most of the time a decent PSU will have the good grace to protect your other fomponents as the unit itself goes up in a puff of smoke. This is not always the case. You will find many forum threads where Seasonic, FPS and CWT built PSUs of various brands and designs have failed and taken motherboards, RAM and/or GFX cards with them.

The only manufacturers who would be still churning out PSU's of a predominant +5v design would be the likes of Q-Tech et al. IE the ones who rate a PSU for 800W at 25c that weighs about 1/2 LB.

I'm willing to take a guess that the Thermaltake PSU was either a Toughpower, or a PurePower. Both of these designs are ATX 2.1 compliant and their main focus is 12v output. The former is either FSP or CWT (can't remember which) and the latter is definately a CWT design.

I would advise you try all your other components in another motherboard, obviously with a different PSU, and see if your parts still function. If so you could always RMA the board.

Current Thermaltake lines are fine. Personally if I were buying a PSU I'd go for either Seasonic directly, a Corsair badged Seasonic (HX520W or HX620W), a Corsair badged CWT (TX650W, TX750W, TX850W) or if I was feeling flush an Enermax Revolution.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I would try to test your ram and CPU in another board before you RMA anything.

When a PSU Blows it can kill all of those including your board, so you may want to find out what all is dead before you start buying new items. And just so you know, you may have a very hard time setting up a RMA for anything that has been fried by a PSU Blowing so if you do RMA Something keep that part of things out of the discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              And just so you know, you may have a very hard time setting up a RMA for anything that has been fried by a PSU Blowing so if you do RMA Something keep that part of things out of the discussion
              Wise words. Best to stick to the "It used to work and now it doesn't" line. Tell them you just switched it on one day and nothing happened.
              Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
              Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
              Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
              TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
              2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
              2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
              Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
              Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
              WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
              Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
              Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
              3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
              Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, guys. I've checked CPU, RAM, etc - everything runs fine, expect one of the hard drives that is fried, too. So it's not the CPU-caused issue, so I'm going to replace the motherboard anyway, that should finally help.

Comment

Working...
                X