Cant get two eSATAs to work on EX58-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get two eSATAs to work on EX58-UD3R

So here is my setup, I have two internal SATA on the SATA2_0 and SATA2_1, then there are two SATA DVD burners on SATA2_2 and SATA2_3

Then on the SATA2_4 and SATA2_5 I had this external slot based thing that lets me hookup 2 eSATA. So those two cables go to the _4 and _5 ports. Now when I hookup both of my eSATA drives (which one is a Western Digital 500gb and the other is a Seagate FreeAgent 750GB) only one of them shows up, in this case the Seagate. I thought maybe the cable was bad, so I flipped them around and some reboots the Seagate will show up or the Western Digital. So I know the ports are not bad.

So I decided to move the two eSATAs to the Gigabyte SATA ports. Still on that setup only one of them seem to show up. Sometimes I can get both to show up by unplugging one and plugging it back in and hitting refresh in Device Manager in Vistax64 SP1 and I can see it starts to see the other drive (shows it as DISK DRIVE) and just hangs there, so it never fully shows up.

Here the settings in BIOS I use
    Integrated Peripherals
    Intel Controller
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Disabled, tried enabled as well

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode ........... AHCI/RAID, also tried IDE with no luck

So Im not sure if I just cant use two eSATA or what. The bios startup when the AHCI scan kicks in only seems to show the Western Digital.

Dixit <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    EX58-UD4P Motherboard
    Core i7 920 Processor D0 stepping
    Patriot 6GB 1600mhz PVT36G1600LLK Memory
    Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (push-pull fan)
    Zotac GTS250 1gb Video Overclocked
    Cooler Master CM690 Case with 6 Fans
    Corsair 750TX Power Supply
    1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Re: Cant get two eSATAs to work on EX58-UD3R

You should use the purple slots and these settings >>

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode ........... AHCI/RAID

But I do think you are going to have to setup your OS using AHCI first. And that means reinstalling your OS using the Intel AHCI Driver (And AHCI Settings for those ports) and then also installing the Gigabyte one for AHCI on those ports

You can try without doing that, you should install the Gigabyte SATA Driver/program if you have not already >>
    ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/mo..._sata2raid.exe

Could just also be incompatibilities, what BIOS are you using anyway? If it is not the latest I do suggest you install the latest. Please read this guide on how to flash and load optimized defaults safely >>

Comment

But when turning the 2nd set of SATA ports (the Gigabyte ones) to AHCI you shouldnt need to reinstall the OS as my main OS drive is running off the Intel SATA ports (which is set to IDE).

Regardless Ive also found a way to convert from IDE to AHCI even on the Intel ports without without reinstalling the Vista OS. You can actually make a change in Vista while in there and reboot and it will come up in AHCI mode after you make the changes in BIOS.

Going to have to do some more testing and see whats going on why both dont seem to work. Maybe move my SATA DVDs to the Gigabyte SATA ports and move the eSATAs to the Intel SATA ports and see if we get anything there.

BTW Im using the lastest F7 bios that was on the sticky, I think I put that on about 3-4days ago.

Dixit
      EX58-UD4P Motherboard
      1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

Ya, I only mentioned that incase you had to also switch the intel to AHCI as well. And yes there are ways to enable AHCI without a reinstall, just not as easy for most users to do is why I did not mention it.

You should have your DVD/CD Drives on the last two ports of the intel controller 4/5

But ya, you can test what you mentioned for sure. But I would try the gigabyte driver/program install with the eSATA drives on the purple ports first

Comment

Cool, I may try DVDs on the _4_5 ports.

I installed that Gigabyte driver, device manager sees it now and one of the eSATAs now show up as a SCSI device which seems normal now. But cant seem to launch the Gigabyte RAID configurator, keeps telling me cant find the GBB36X controller when clearly its listed in Storage Controllers in Device Manager.

Guess I got playing around to do.

Dixit
          EX58-UD4P Motherboard
          1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

Well that may not launch anyway because all it has it in is settings for RAID, and nothing for AHCI so that could be why it fails to open. You just needed the AHCI/RAID Driver installed is why I suggested that to you.

Comment

Ah got it, I thought it was maybe like the Intel Storage Matrix program where it would show you whats connected to each channel/port.

Ok so thats fine. Just need to dig further on this, and then move the DVD ports over to 4-5 and then see what happens.

Thanks again
              Dixit
              EX58-UD4P Motherboard
              1TB Seagate 7200.12 HD

Comment

Working...
              X