Ex58-extreme bios failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex58-extreme bios failure

I flashed the BIOS and there was a problem. On reboot, it recovered the BIOS from the HPA, and there was a problem. One of my hdd's was failing at the time, and it did not occur to me that it would affect my flash. On reboot, it loaded BootBlock BIOS, and began 'scanning bios image in hard drive...' and then it rebooted and reattempted this... continuously, for about 10m until it powers off.

The system reboots automatically and the same thing occurs. I have tried unplugging all of the hdds. i have tried unplugging the odds. i have tried resetting the cmos, removing the battery, jumpering the reset, removing the power cord, removing the extra ram sticks, discharging the capacitors with the pwr button, an axe, a hammer, and a fishing rod (ok i didnt try the fishing rod but i know theres a way). I have even tried the trick for disabling the main bios with a short (several baker's dozen worth of times, which results in a) a freeze then pwr-off after 5m or
    b) instant pwr-off and then re-pwr.

the only difference is that the system will display 'bios auto-recovering.............' before rebooting if the drives are connected.

Here is the question: How do I re-write the HPA data onto the hdd? Does anyone know which application will do this? I have a functional system with a 41-series GB board if needed.

Edit: I found information: The primary function of the HPA is to store diagnostic utilities as well as a boot record; this is useful when it is not possible to boot from the primary partition. One can use the SET MAX ADDRESS command to reset the HPA to the maximum user addressable sectors, and then boot from what was the HPA. If the volatile bit is also set then the HDD retains the new values on power up or reboot.
    Any HDD that supports the HPA will also support the commands READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS and SET MAX, as described in the working draft of ATA-6 interface.
    Last edited by silekonn; 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM.

Re: Ex58-extreme bios failure

after research i have realized the hpa bios is only the image file, written at the start of the hpa (the end of the drive). if i set the area as addressable and write the file in dos, then reset the area, will it work with bootblock?
    Last edited by silekonn; 05-22-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I do not think that will work like you think. The HPA only as you said is a copy of the BIOS as a backup, you should not need to have it to bootup only in a failure.

What you could do to ensure a clean new copy is put on the disk is, if your disks are blank and you do not need any data on them, zero out the drives or wipe them fully clean witha good Low level format program. I suggest KillDisk

That will wipe the drive and the HPA, then you should reflash your current BIOS using Qflash and change "Keep DMI Data" to disabled, and then load and apply optimized defaults. Then upon windows loading and the DMI Pool rebuilding-verifying it will be written to the HPA

You must of course be sure you leave or set this option to enabled in your BIOS, I believe this option is in Integrated Peripherals or the Advanced BIOS page

Again though all of this should not be a problem for you as you can boot and use your system with or without this setting enabled, and with or without a copy of the BIOS in the HPA as it is only for failure purposes and not for functioning during normal board usage. This only copies an additional BIOS Backup to the drive in case of failure, there is still the normal backup on the second chip

Comment

HPA is the only option, as the board restores what I assume is a corrupt copy and reboots repeatedly without looking at other drives. If I can insert a functional HPA backup it may restore my BIOS.

Comment

Working...
        X