Question about new UD5 board and i950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about new UD5 board and i950

This is my first post here guys, and I need a little advice. I am going to be working on my first build, the parts will be in a little later today. Went with the new i950 processor, and the Gigabyte UD5 motherboard.

I have a couple of things I am not sure about... I noticed on the the Gigabyte site that the UD5 motherboard will correctly recognize the i950 processor only with the newest bios version (7, I think). So what happens if my motherboard arrives with an older bios, and I have to install the i950 before the bios is updated? Will it still recognize the processor, but maybe as an i940, or otherwise? Will it be safe until the bios is flashed?

Also, when reading about flashing the bios, I have seen contradicting reports....most say to use Qflash and a USB jump drive for best results, and to avoid @Bios. However, recent posts I have seen say that currently QFlash has some problems, and to use @Bios or DOS to flash. DOS is out of the question, as this build will not even have a floppy. So, what do you guys suggest is the best and easiest way to update the BIOS to the new version on the UD5 board? I think this is what I am most nervous about with this build. It will be my first build, and I want everything to go smoothy. I will really appreciate some advice!!

Re: Question about new UD5 board and i950

Originally posted by fox1966 View Post
    Will it still recognize the processor, but maybe as an i940, or otherwise? Will it be safe until the bios is flashed?
    Yes, don't worry

Originally posted by fox1966 View Post
    So, what do you guys suggest is the best and easiest way to update the BIOS to the new version on the UD5 board
    You can use FlashSPI, following these instructions:

I use a bootable pendrive to do the flash.

Welcome to the forum
    Home: Corei7 920 C0 watercooled, Gigabyte X58A-UD??, 3x2Gb OCZ GOLD 1600 DDR3 (OCZ3G1600LV6GK), 2xHdd WD 250Gb RE3 raid0, 1xHdd WD 1Tb Caviar Green, Pioneer DVR-216D, Gainward 4870 1Gb GS, Enermax Liberty 620W, monitor CRT Hyundai 19" Q910, case Antec Skeleton, keyboard Logitech G15, mouse Logitech G9
    Car: Sempron2600+, Asrock K8NF6G-VSTA, 1x512Mb DDR Geil, 1xHdd Maxtor Momentus 320Gb, Pioneer DVR-110D, M4-ATX, monitor touch screen 7" lcd Panasonic

Comment

Thanks for the reply! That definitely makes me feel better.

One other question....will the UD5 let me access and work in the bios at first bootup with my USB keyboard? Or do I need a PS2 keyboard to go in and make the initial changes?

Thanks again!

Comment

I'm using a Logitech G15 usb to navigate bios settings without problem.
        I suggest to enable "usb keyboard support" or something similar, 'cause if you have to choose which OS to start your keyboard will not function without that bios option on.
        In short... usb keyboard with bios ok, usb keyboard with dos ko
        Home: Corei7 920 C0 watercooled, Gigabyte X58A-UD??, 3x2Gb OCZ GOLD 1600 DDR3 (OCZ3G1600LV6GK), 2xHdd WD 250Gb RE3 raid0, 1xHdd WD 1Tb Caviar Green, Pioneer DVR-216D, Gainward 4870 1Gb GS, Enermax Liberty 620W, monitor CRT Hyundai 19" Q910, case Antec Skeleton, keyboard Logitech G15, mouse Logitech G9
        Car: Sempron2600+, Asrock K8NF6G-VSTA, 1x512Mb DDR Geil, 1xHdd Maxtor Momentus 320Gb, Pioneer DVR-110D, M4-ATX, monitor touch screen 7" lcd Panasonic

Comment

Working...
        X