Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3P What a night! New mobo/Vista install and 'lost' other core.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P What a night! New mobo/Vista install and 'lost' other core.

I had this problem with the 'unclean' install of Vista I was using with my former mobo that died last week and is hence responsible for me using a E2180 instead of a nice Quad by way of me buying this mobo.

I know the HAL.DLL can get messed up and even deleting the driver does'nt always work, I have tried changing it to hal.dll in the advanced boot then changing 'number of processors' back to 2 (in msconfig).

Hence the clean Vista install. It recognises the CPU fine but CPUz and cputemp only recognises one core.

Next I will try and flash the BIOS, currently it is 07 so I think 08 or 09 is the most current. Is there anything obvious I am missing in the BIOS itself or even Vista? I did OC the E2180 to 3ghz in a matter of a couple of hours without really knowing this mobo and my only experience of Intel chipsets being me setting up my friends DFI Bloodiron last year(that was nice and easy to). These mobo's would be REAL drop dead brilliant if only they had SLI.... I have a 'spare' 2180 to try as the Asus(former mobo) died pretty nasty.

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P What a night! New mobo/Vista install and 'lost' other core.

Have you tried uninstalling the processor from the device manager, then rebooting?

As for your CPU-z and RealTemp? Be sure you are using the latest version, that could be the issue (CPU-z 1.51 and RealTemp is 3.0)? Here is the latest of each so you are sure >>
    CPUID
    Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Of course the latest BIOS could help, and I do suggest it, but I doubt that would cause this issue.

Please read this on how to flash using Qflash, it is the safer way to flash your BIOS

Latest BIOS's

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Have you tried uninstalling the processor from the device manager, then rebooting?

As for your CPU-z and RealTemp? Be sure you are using the latest version, that could be the issue (CPU-z 1.51 and RealTemp is 3.0)? Here is the latest of each so you are sure >>
      CPUID
      Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Of course the latest BIOS could help, and I do suggest it, but I doubt that would cause this issue.

Please read this on how to flash using Qflash, it is the safer way to flash your BIOS

Latest BIOS's
      http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/
      Yep, tried that. Yep, read that. If only RMAing m ASUS mobo was not going to be so slow I could sell the replacement, E2180 and an old gfx card to someone for the price of a top Quad core and prob not have to worry about this lovely but very old overclocker.....

So theres nothing in the BIOS that could cause this?

If all fails I'll try the other E2180 but I don't think that one is such a nice OCr as that one(3.2ghz as easy as it ever was on the p5n32 SLI).

And all the time I took getting the silver thermal paste 'just right'. I'm sure thats why it wwas running 40C under load(was much higher on old mobo, then again voltage was a bit different to).

Comment

Of course, what I did'nt realise is the threading option means something very different from an NVidea board. On an Intel board it will actually shut down all but one core. Must have wasted ages sorting that out.... and I lost the 3.0ghz OC and my guess values were obviously a little out as it just crashed out of Windows. More voltage to the Northbridge, CPU might help.... maybe loosen those timings a bit more.... really don't want to have to work hard for such an easy OC.

Or, maybe because as it's two this time

Is there a really good article on OCing this board? I have read bits and pieces here and there.... nothing much more really.

Comment

Working...
        X