EX58-UD5 Cold boot problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 Cold boot problem

Seen a few post about this but there doesn't seem to be any solid answer to fix it

I am experiencing cold boot problems on an overclock

CPU i7 920 @ 4Ghz
    EX58-UD5 - Bios V7
    6GB DDR3 PC-3 12800
    ATI HD4870 X2
    Corsair HX1000W
    2x WD Raptor 150GB RAID0

The problem is pretty much that when I push the "power" button all lights and the chassis and the fans start, and then they shut down immediately again. Then 2-3 second after the system powers on and then shuts down immediately again. On the 3rd attempt it will boot but not using my O/C settings.

I am able to go into the BIOS and re-save the settings and after this i have no problems at all, 14hr blend stable so i don't believe its an issue with the O/C settings.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: EX58-UD5 Cold boot problem

Have you tried the F8b bios on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by killersjp View Post
      Have you tried the F8b bios on this forum.
      No, do you think it could possibly help?

Comment

Anyone got any ideas other than suggesting random bios versions without knowing if they would help?

Comment

Starting up causes a lot of stress on overclocked parts. I believe at the immediate start-up, everything is running full speed for a few seconds. Although you may be getting it stable running after startup, your settings may be pushing it just over the edge to make your POST unstable.

I would also try running Prime95 blend tests concurrently with Intel Burn Test. I have had 18+ hour Prime95 stable settings which crash within 20 minutes of concurrent stress testing. Stress testing still isn't a mastered science but that's just what I've observed so far.
          i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
          24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
          Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
          3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
          EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
          EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
          Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Comment

Sorry but not random bios, but the latest beta, I tried the official F7 bios and this returned my system to boot more than once on start up, try the bios before slagging peoples help or dont bother to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarqy View Post
              Anyone got any ideas other than suggesting random bios versions without knowing if they would help?
              Some people are understandably reluctant to update their BIOS, but as long as you do it properly with QFlash (@BIOS is risky) it should be fine. The newer BIOS versions for the EX58 boards have been shown to sometimes improve overclocking stability so it's not a bad idea to try it.
              i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
              24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
              Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
              3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
              EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
              EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
              Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Comment

Working...
              X