EP45-UD3P lost USB Keyboard and OS Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P lost USB Keyboard and OS Selection

I have a couple buddies at another forum that have, or have had, the same crazy problem with their UD3Ps. Instead of explaining it, I will quote them. See what you all think?

Originally posted by dennyb
    I have a question for UD3P folks. First some history. Built sig system 4/1/09. Started overclocking right away. All was good for 1 week. Then,due to instability and subsequent crashes,the mobo started acting weird. It lost the ability to post to the operating system CD, some parts of the BIOS could not be navigated with the usb keyboard. Had to use old style keyboard to access parts of the BIOS. When I crashed, I could not choose "enter" to "start normally"-had to let time clock tick down to 0.

I tried all the "fixes" cmos reset,even reinstalled OS. The problem persisted for over a month. It resolved itself a few weeks ago and I am not sure what caused the fix. The only thing I can think of that would have any bearing on it at all was when trying for 4.2Ghz and failing miserably the system had some major crashes. What I did different was after clearing CMOS, I entered Optimized Defaults and then re-entered the necessary values.

Shortly after the crash/fix event I noticed that I was able to choose "start normally" again,so I tried booting to OS cd and it loaded the files. Ok,I'm very pleased that everything is working again,but I am not really sure what happened to cause the fix. I suspect the "optimized defaults" but can't say for sure. Does anyone know the answer or had a similar experience?
    My response follows that post, then on the next page NoGuru replies:

Originally posted by NoGuru
    I am going through this problem right now. In fact running on Windows 7 now because it's the only OS I have that works. But as you mentioned I do not have control of the "start windows normal or into safe mode" not sure what this is but I think dennyb has something to do with it.
    All I can think of is they set up an unstable overclock, thus resulting into a POST fail loop and somehow the BIOS glitched and set USB Keyboard to Disable... However, I am not the most knowledgeable person here....

So, any thoughts?

Best Quote Ever...
    Originally posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Re: EP45-UD3P lost USB Keyboard and OS Selection

I have only had a problem with the OS dieing and i think it is from a bad OC corrupting files because i always managed to fix them by replacing the corrupt file. I have not had the USB issue yet but i am sure it will happen soon enough for me

So hopefully someone will be able to explain the problem.
    Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz+HT 1.36V / Gigabyte EX58-UD4P / G-Skill 3x2 gig DDR 2133 PERFECT STORM / MSI 5870 1GIG / Corsair HX1000 Watt/ CM Stacker 830 /
    Cooled By: Swiftech Apogee GTZ /Swiftech MCR-320 /1/2" ID Feser Flexible PVC Tubing /Swiftech MICRO Rev2 Reservoir /Swiftech MCP655 variable/Thermalright HR-05-ifx

Comment

It would be useful if they went into the BIOS 's basic settings menu (the one with clock settings, floppy etc, and enabled the "Halt on All Errors" option. This won't fix the issue but if the board can't initialise the keyboard it will pop up a "No keyboard present, press F1 to continue". A bit of a funny message, because if there's no keyboard how do you press [F1]?

I had it on my NForce4 board. A BIOS reflash always fixed it for me, though it's not the most elegant solution. I had to flash to a version other than the current BIOS first, then flash back (to the only BIOS that had a 166 RAM divider).

Also make sure they have USB keyboard enabled in advanced BIOS features, just above Legacy USB Storage Detect.

On a seperate note, I just picked up a cheap Razer Arctosa USB keyboard. Since using it I find that to get into the BIOS I have to keep jabbing the [DEL] key rapidly, or "Entering setup..." never apears, and it goes on to boot. With my old PS2 board, it registered the keystroke instantly. Strange...
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I will forward your reply to them, thanks Psycho.

Best Quote Ever...
        Originally posted by Psycho101
        Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
        Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Comment

Working...
        X