M61P-S3 motherboard in new build won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M61P-S3 motherboard in new build won't start

This is the first, and the way that it is going, probably the last, time I am building a computer. Antec 180B case. Pretty cool. Power supply in the bottom. There is an a Corsair VX450 sitting there. My motherboard is the Gigabyte M61P-S3 from about a year and a half ago. Video is onboard. I finally got the rest of the stuff to put this together. AMD 64x2 5200 and 2GB GSkill RAM and a pair of Seagate Barracuda SATA hard drives.

I think the problem is between the motherboard and the case. Connecting the little buttons on the front of the case (power, reset, firewire, USB, HD activity) to the motherboard is an ordeal for someone who simply can't see well enough to navigate. The connectors from Antec are tiny and where they plug into is tiny. So when I look in the manual that comes with my motherboard, what is all this stuff about pin assignments? I just don't understand it, particularly if I need a microscope to see what they are to begin with. It is not like I can change anything. Maybe reverse the way I put the plug in. That is about it.

Since there is NO sign of life whatsoever (i.e. no fan activity) I also have a message into the Corsair forum in the event the power supply is DOA. I still want to know about pin assignments.

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone here can provide. Just found this forum a few minutes ago.

Re: M61P-S3 motherboard in new build won't start

An update: I have been in touch with the folks at the Corsair forum and was able to get some help confirming that the power supply is working. Then I looked more closely at the manual that came with the motherboard and found a diagram of how the front panel connectors are supposed to be connected. I had to find a magnifying glass to read it but it revealed that I had not connected the on / off switch correctly. Now everything works. I have three system fans running and the system actually posts. All is well.

Comment

Working...
    X