Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD5 not detecting my Nvidia Gtx 260

Hi Guys,

I have a problem and I'm stumped. I've tried almost everything to fix this problem and not sure what it could be.

Here's my setup:

Gigabyte ud5
    Windows 7 64bit rc7100
    i7 920
    ocz 6 gb 7-7-7-24
    wd caviar black 640gb
    cooler master silent pro 700w single rail 50A
    evga gtx 260 192/core
    bios: F7

All parts are new.

My problem:

My setup doesn't boot the gtx 260 properly(or at all). With it installed, the computer boots but there is no video. PCI-E 16 x 1 turned on in bios to initiate during bootup but nothing(though win 7 boots up all the way). I have both 6 pin power cables plugged into the card, fan turns on, but no video. Strange thing is when I put that card in pci-e slot 2, and I put a nvidia 8600gt(pci-e) in slot 1, it will boot up fine, so it's not a faulty slot, and the 8600gt will boot into windows and install drivers fine. Strange thing after booting into win 7 is that my gtx 260 initially is detected as a quadro fx card, and after installing the newest drivers from nvidia, the card is detected as a gtx 295, but still doesn't work (has the exclamation mark next to it in device manager)

I tested the gtx 260 on my friends computer and it worked fine. His setup:

evga x58
    Windows xp 64bit
    i7 920
    corsair dominator 6b
    velociraptor 150gb
    corsair 1000hx 1000watt psu
    evga gtx 285

So, I'm not really sure what's going on here. I called evga tech support and they weren't sure what the problem is since the card does work...just not on my computer. My PSU has enough juice and it runs weaker cards just fine, and so I'm wondering if it could be the mobo or bios setting, though I looked but nothign caught my eye.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: UD5 not detecting my Nvidia Gtx 260

Did you load optimized defaults, save and apply then reboot to the BIOS before making changes? If not please do so now and see if that helps any.

You may also want to raise your ICH/PCIE voltages a little bit to see if it is a voltage issue or not.

Try this
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... 1.54-1.58 **
    IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.14-1.2
    ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.58 **
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.14-1.24 **

Next thing I would suggest is to try a different BIOS as it very well could be a BIOS issue, so maybe try F6 and or one of the newer beta's. But I would try the voltage adjustments first

Here is the latest Beta F8b

Your last comments make me think maybe it is just driver issues as well, had you thought that too?

Comment

I have no problems with Palit GTX 260 on EX58-UD4.

Comment

@Lsdmeasap: Hey Lsdmeasap, that sounded like a good solution, but I tried it with no results. I did the optimized settings again just to be sure & I tried it with the newest f8b bios, and tried almost every voltage you suggested. I tried the minimum and maximum suggested values, with no results. Then I tried the F6 bios. I'd sometimes get bluescreens from probably the drivers having issues at bootup on win 7, but it's almost randomly, so I can't always recreate it. So when I remove the drivers, it shows it as Quadro FX 3800. I'll continue testing the voltages with different bios's. I'll be testing it with a different power supply and new video card today so I'll let you know what I find out. If you have any other suggestions that would help, I'd be grateful. Thanks!!

@shady: yeah, evidently I feel like i'll never get this working...what are your voltage settings, if any changes, for your pcie in your bios? Have you done anything in your bios settings? I'm sure it's something else though I can't quite figure it out because it's suppose to just work without some bios intervention...Sigh...

Comment

The reason the card shows as a Quadro 3800, is because technically, it kind of is. Quadro are Nvidia's line of workstation GFX cards, designed for CAD etc. There is little difference between a consumer GPU and one of these cards, infact Quadro drivers can be easily modded purely by adding a general GPU ID string into the install.ini file. That's nomal.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS completely by jumping the two pins? Do that, then load optimized defaults. You may find that clearing the CMOS will let you see the POST and BIOS screen with the 260.Couldn't find the answer to this in your post, but is there no video at all? IE no BIOS screen, no POST etc with the card or does it go blank on loading windows? If it's the latter it's probably a driver issue.

Slipstreaming the latest driver package into a Windows install CD may help. There are loads of tools to help you create a custom install CD, google around and you'll find several.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by numps View Post
            @Lsdmeasap: Hey Lsdmeasap, that sounded like a good solution, but I tried it with no results. I did the optimized settings again just to be sure & I tried it with the newest f8b bios, and tried almost every voltage you suggested. I tried the minimum and maximum suggested values, with no results. Then I tried the F6 bios. I'd sometimes get bluescreens from probably the drivers having issues at bootup on win 7, but it's almost randomly, so I can't always recreate it. So when I remove the drivers, it shows it as Quadro FX 3800. I'll continue testing the voltages with different bios's. I'll be testing it with a different power supply and new video card today so I'll let you know what I find out. If you have any other suggestions that would help, I'd be grateful. Thanks!!

@shady: yeah, evidently I feel like i'll never get this working...what are your voltage settings, if any changes, for your pcie in your bios? Have you done anything in your bios settings? I'm sure it's something else though I can't quite figure it out because it's suppose to just work without some bios intervention...Sigh...
            My system boot up straight away on default settings. PCIE is set at 100mhz. All voltage on Normal settings. Your problem is quite weird because compatibility problems are quite rare these days. Did you try the card on the other PCIe slots?

Comment

Minor Update:

I was able to test another power supply 750w cooler master, though same results, so I can remove that it's a PSU issue. Though I was able to test it on another computer, dual core, pretty old build, with my current PSU, and what do you know? Video works just fine...I'm beginning to think it's a compatibility issue between that model card and that motherboard. My last test will be to test my friends GTX 285 on my computer, which I believe will work. There's too much inconsistencies, as every piece of my computer works, just not together, but in seperate test builds...I'll let you guys know the results of my GTX 285 test...

Comment

Okay. So I had the chance to take my computer over to a buddies house to test his evga gtx 285 in my computer. Unfortunately the results were the same. Strangely enough though when tested on my computer the fans on the video card spin at full speed and was very audible unlike when run on his computer whIch starts off silent. This makes me think that it has to do with my motherboard since all parts seem to be working fine. It's really difficult to understand this problem. I was able to test a pair of msi 8600gt cards in sli. Played some games for a few hrs without a problem. Should I just rma the board?

Comment

If your friends 285 doesn't work either then I'd definately RMA the board. Try an RMA to the retailer first, as if they're good they may pick it up and replace free of charge. Gigabyte will want you to pay at least to ship it to them.

If the second board has the same problem, I'd pursue the retailer for a replacement of a different model.

Did you buy the GFX card from the same place? If so you'll have a stronger case to get the problem sorted. tell them you bought the two products to work together, and they don't.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

@Psycho: I was able to get an RMA from the retailer and hopefully, the new board won't have this issue. If it does, it would seem like UD5 boards dont' work well with the 2 EVGA GTX200 cards I've used with it. Which I doubt would be the problem, otherwise, there'd be more issues and topics about it.

@everyone else: I'd like to thank everyone on helping me out and hopefully the issue will be resolved with the new board. I'll update when I test the new hardware!

Comment

The same problem.
                      Hi I have Gigabyte GTX260 card GV-N26OC-896H and ASUS P6T SE motherboard. I have some problems with it. Sometimes monitor is not starting when I power on the computer. When this thing happens what i do is to power off the computer and wait few minutes or change dvi cable to other port on the card. Sometimes monitor is starting and sometimes not. I tested this on different monitors and problem persist. I have also Palit 9600GT card and with this card everything is ok. I did some RMA procedure with this gigabyte card and manufacturer said that card is ok and the problem must be with another component of my computer. My configuration is: Power Supply OCZ 600W, 4x320gb samsung f1, core i7-920 c0, 3x2gb OCZ DDR3. Help me!

There is many post in internet with people having i7 processor with gtx260 core 216 cards and problems with booting so I think is same combability issue between gtx260 core 216 and i7 processors.

For example here:
                      Problem Booting GTX 260 core 216 - NVIDIA Forums

Comment

@scav: Luckily for you, you were able to get it starting at least once...my card is a EVGA Gtx 260 192 core, which doesn't work at all with the mobo and neither does a GTX 285 which I borrowed from a friend...I contacted Gigabyte and they said their Gigabyte GTX 260's work with the UD5's, so I'm not sure what to think. I'll be getting my motherboard back next week, and I'll let you know what happens. So I really hope it's some circuitry on the board I had that went bad, because I don't really want to use another motherboard...It's just strange that my board won't run either the 260 or the 285...

Comment

Update: thanks to everyone but I've finally recieved my motherboard back from an rma from my retailer and the problem has been fixed. Seemed as though the motherboard was faulty even though it seemed to work fine. the retailer was really cool about it even though it was passed the 30 day return limit. They didn't make me go though gigabyte and I thank them hugely for that. My card & mobo are working fine together now and everything is smooth. I hope this helps someone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X