Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help for Wake On LAN, EP45-DS3R

Originally posted by Chike View Post
    Does the router link led stays on when you are at S3 or S5?
    No it doesn't. That's the case exactly. I couldn't make it stay at "on" state after shutdown. My previous MSI board's leds used to blink all the time. I tried all the possible settings related with wol :(
    GA-EP45-DS3R Gigabyte mobo (f11e)
    Q6600 Intel cpu @stock 2400 with Scythe Zipang Cooler
    2x2 gb Mushkin 996599 Kit, 2x2 gb Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/4G kit
    Powercolor ATI Radeon HD4850 PCS+ 512 Mb
    OCZ Vertex 2 60 Gb (Boot drive)
    3x HD502HJ Samsung 500 Gb HDDs
    Seasonic S12 550W PSU
    Philips DVD Writer

Comment

I was talking about the router LED not the one on the motherboared.
      If it's off than it can't work of course.
      Time to contact GIGABYTE suppoert I think.

Comment

Well my router's ethernet led stays on (after shut down). But if I reset the router by unplugging it, the same led stays at off. That's why I'm focusing on the leds that are on mainboard.

Ah, btw gigabyte support couldn't help. They just advised me to update my bios to the latest one which is beta! But they're not sure , they just wanted me to give it a try!

Note: Well, I realized my router's ethernet led stays at on "most of the time"! after resets. I guess I have no option left except updating to a beta bios :-/
        Last edited by australis; 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: added note
        Seasonic S12 550W PSU
        Philips DVD Writer

Comment

Originally posted by australis View Post
          Ah, btw gigabyte support couldn't help. They just advised me to update my bios to the latest one which is beta! But they're not sure , they just wanted me to give it a try!
          What does it mean "couldn't help?"
          They tell you to update BIOS because it's zero work for them. Now that you have they better start and get moving. Maybe there's a problem with this model, they should check, it's not so commonly used feature. If there is no problem then they should replace it for you.

However, I do recomend you to install WiresShark and see that the WOL packets are sent to your computer.

Comment

thank you again for your recommendation. as soon as I get another machine I'll try magic packet bombing my system on the lan ;) if that doesn't help I'll go for the beta bios.
            Seasonic S12 550W PSU
            Philips DVD Writer

Comment

With WireShark you don't need another machine, just run a capture and use that website from that computer. The site does alert you that you are trying to wake your own computer but still sends the WOL packets, 20 of them.

Comment

ooh!! that's good news then. I'm installing it right away :)
                Seasonic S12 550W PSU
                Philips DVD Writer

Comment

I recognized something interesting. I tried another modem router and everything worked perfectly. But I used to run this modem without problems with the same settings with my previous system! I also updated my bios to the latest beta, hope it works well :) I guess problem is solved at least on gigabyte side ;) Thank you all.
                  Seasonic S12 550W PSU
                  Philips DVD Writer

Comment

@australis

Hello,

I have got the same problem. I was wondering does your NIC led stays on when your pc is in S3 or S5. Mine isn't. But i can use Wake on Lan online, only for 5 minutes.

I think there are 2 options. My NIC doesn't stays on while in standby (that's why i am asking you if your nic stays on after the bios update) or my router flushes the ARP and doesn't know where to send the magic packet to.

Comment

Hi peanuke. After bios update nothing changed in fact. Nic led stays off after shutdown (including S3). If power outage occurs the system never wakes up (!) even after power is back!! That's too bad. And I haven't tried to wake the system up after 5-10 mins after shutdown. If that's true as you said then wol is totally useless for this mainboard. Btw, null arp cache shouldn't affect this 'cause magic packet is sent by broadcasting! Afaik, a sleeping ethernet card does not know its IP address but MAC address. That's why broadcasting is used. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm totally disappointed with wol feature of this mainboard :-/
                      Seasonic S12 550W PSU
                      Philips DVD Writer

Comment

Originally posted by australis View Post
                        Hi peanuke. After bios update nothing changed in fact. Nic led stays off after shutdown (including S3). If power outage occurs the system never wakes up (!) even after power is back!! That's too bad.
                        Yes, no wakeup after power outage though the router link LED is on. I guess the wake up setup is stored in a volatile memory and is lost during power outage.

Originally posted by australis
                        And I haven't tried to wake the system up after 5-10 mins after shutdown. If that's true as you said then wol is totally useless for this mainboard.
                        I have woke mine after several hours shotdown, i'll re-check tomorrow morning.

Btw, null arp cache shouldn't affect this 'cause magic packet is sent by broadcasting! Afaik, a sleeping ethernet card does not know its IP address but MAC address. That's why broadcasting is used. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                        Possibly one of the reason for broadcast.

Anyway, I'm totally disappointed with wol feature of this mainboard :-/
                        Did the board you had before would wake up after power outage?

Comment

Yes it used to wake up after power outages. It was an old msi neo-v amd board with one integrated realtek nic. (leds stayed on all the time) I'll also try that wakeup after hours.
                          Seasonic S12 550W PSU
                          Philips DVD Writer

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by peauke View Post
                              Ip broadcast isn't working for me at the time. I have tried the several settings in my router.
                              1. ip adress pc 192.168.2.4 (static and dhcp tried both)
                              2. ip adress router /modem 1 192.168.2.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.0
                              3. forwarded a port to 192.168.2.255 (my router doesn't accept this so i have used a plugin for firefox named "tamper data" so i can change the last number to 255)
                              You mean the HTML script won't allow it but the rauter does actually accpet it? Note that if the script does not allow it there is probably a reason. the broadcast adress only indicate the need to broadcast, which basically means sending the same message to all active link regardless of their IP.

There are different types of port forwarding, in my router the page to do this is vitual servers (it has it as a pre defined setting.) See what is the right section for this in your router.

Comment

my first router modem is a siemens gigaset SX551 and my second router (repeater) is a digiconnect WIC328.

here is a link that i used to see how i need to port forward
                                Port Forwarding Remote Desktop on the Siemens Gigaset SX541
                                and
                                Port Forwarding Remote Desktop on the Digiconnect WIC328

So i know where i should enter the correct settings in my router.

You mean the HTML script won't allow it but the rauter does actually accpet it? Note that if the script does not allow it there is probably a reason. the broadcast adress only indicate the need to broadcast, which basically means sending the same message to all active link regardless of their IP.
                                You mean that when i can't change it without tamper data then my router doesn't allow ip broadcast.

Comment

Working...
                                X