• Show
Clear All

• EX58 UD3R + I7 920 Temp+ OC Problems

Hi I have a question regarding my setup and how to properly overclock it
    <o:p></o:p>
    my settings:
    >EX58-UD3R motherboard (v. F5 BIOS)
    >DO Intel I7 @ 2.6mhz factory default
    >4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC3-16000 (2000MHz) (2X2048Mb)
    >500 GB Hitachi hard drive
    >550 Rosewill PSU
    >CD optical drive (some generic cheapo brand forgot what kind)
    >5 Case Fans 120mm
    >Apevia Jupiter X case
    >Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT

My question is: Ive been trying to OC my system but using EasyTune6 has given me way to high of 100% load temps and prime95 and realtemp both rate the temps to be in the 90C-100C range which is way too hot. I tried going through the BIOS and used suggested settings from someone else but they ended up taxing the system w/ way too much heat again in the 90C range at 100% load. I dont want to buy a new HSF and instead just want to push the stock to the max. So, I was wondering If anyone could post their settings or the settings they recommend I use for my current setup. Is it possible to achieve something in the 3.4-3.7Ghz range? Or am I pushing the stock system too much hoping that? whats an achievable range for my system to OC to?

Re: EX58 UD3R + I7 920 Temp+ OC Problems

stock hsf is crap. If you need to overclock, buying an aftermarket cooler is a better idea. scythe mugen 2 is one good option which is best vfm.

Comment

Re: TEMP PROBLEMS NOW :(

Ok thank you for the input. Im trying to afford the money for a new Heatsink at the moment but I was just wanting to do some weak overclocking until I can get a new HSF. But until I can get a new HSF do you think any overclocking at all is achievable? i mean 2.6ghz on an I7 seems overclock-able even with stock fans wouldn't you think? Also after posting yesterday another thing I found I was having issues with is over heating. Perhaps you could help me figure out what the issue is?

So I jumped right into overclocking the system using prime95 and real temp and cpu-z to monitor temps and everything and I was instantly running into problems as soon as I started running prime95. Within seconds of starting the stress tests my temps would spike up to 100C on 100% load so i would shut down the tests fearing for my cpu's safety. I've tried a couple different Ghz frequencies anywhere from the 3.3 range to the 3.7ghz range and surprisingly they all gave the same result. Seeing this I tried stress testing my system at the stock 2.6Ghz to find if maybe it was a temp problem from the get go. Sure enough same results my temps were all high at idle speeds (in the 50C range) and the 100% load test made them all spike almost instantly to 100C. The strangest part is Ive read through other users with similar problems and usually re-seating the Heatsink corrects the problem. Well, I went back applied arctic silver thermal compound to the cpu, re-seated the heatsink and made sure there was good airflow through my case (its a big case so i dont think airflow is the problem) and checked the temps again, same results. Why would this be? even at 3.7ghz even though the readings under prime95 shot to 100C instantly I wasn't getting BSODs or any freezing and the system acted fine other than data-wise same goes for every other settings I tried. Whats the deal with my Prime95 or CPU temps?

Comment

Prime95 is a walk in the park, try IBT and see where you temps go.
        You built this yourself?
        Maybe the headsink isn't seated properly, you have 5 case fan i'd thing that should be enough.

O was horrified to see my CPU had a sticker on it when I installed my HS on my older motherboared, then I understood why the guy at the store didn't charge me for puting it together, you don't have one maybe?

Comment

So you're saying that you get the same temperatures (at full load) under 3.7GHz and stock?

What program are you using to monitor your temperatures?

Comment

Hey sorry for the long time before responding and yeah sorry maybe I should have explained better. I built the computer myself this is actually my first full build ive installed parts before and upgraded older computers but this one I started from scratch. Still, I think I know what Im doing enough though to not have messed up on anything. The CPU didn't have a sticker on it still or anything I made sure the first time I put it in because I think I would have seen that when applying the arctic silver compound or aligning the Heatsink, etc.

What i meant by the temps being the same was what I first did was OC using Easytune 6 (the program that came with my mobo) i OC'ed the comp to 3.3Ghz the highest easytune setting after doing this i then installed RealTemp and i noticed the temps were high (50C-60C) so I thought that possibly the problem was that EasyTune just was **** at OC'ing and I tried Oc the computer through the BIOS myslef. I effectively got the computer to go up to 3.7Ghz and run the same temps that EasyTune6 had got it at 3.3Ghz but both times when I tried running Prime95 i noticed it would make the temps spike to 100C almost instantly so I figured maybe both me and the EasyTune6 just suck at OC'ing (this is my first time OC really afterall) but when I ran Prime95 and RealtTemp with all the default BIOS settings and the CPU at 2.6Ghz thats when I realized maybe it wasnt me but the computer having heat issues. So ive tried reseating the HSF and going back to stock settings Ill try that IBT program recoommended and see if it gives me diff numbers but im running out of ideas as to whats wrong. any help?

Comment

No don't try IBT!
              What I meant to say is that it produces much more heat, sorry I wasn't clear about it.

Comment

Oh hahahah :P ok well i havnt so yeah I dunno does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Im pretty sure the heat sink is seated properly cud it be the mobo or RealTemp or something is reading the temps wrong?

Comment

When reseating heatsink, did you clean processor and heatsink with IPA and applied decent thermal paste again? At stock your core temperatures should not exceed 70.
                  I have used UD3R, mobo temps seem to be pretty ok. I hope you have put your 5 fans properly and airflow is good.

Comment

Ugh :( i have no idea whats causing it. I just finished right now cleaning off the thermal paste and wiping down the heatsink and cpu and then re applied the arctic silver and im getting the same things for temps on stock :( actually there like 45C ish now versus 50C before but i think thats only because I had too much arctic silver on the cpu last time whereas i applied less this time :/ anyone have any ideas as to why im still getting such high temps?

Comment

Working...
                    X